Baby steps

dawgfan

You may have read about my 2252B being damaged in transit. In order to have the edge straightened (I have not decided on a method yet) the faceplate must be removed. I've never attempted this and will also have to replace some lamp or bulbs eventually. Are there steps I can follow to safely remove the faceplace with damaging anything? Please advise.

Hi,
For the buttons: use the "two spoons" method.
One of the middle potentiometers will have a brass retainer that has to be gently screwed out, either using a special tool that nobody has, or by gently tapping it (I think it's counter-clockwise) with a thin screwdriver until you can rotate it with your fingers.
Use the correct tool for the corner screws. If they are stuck, a little de-oxit beforehand will help.
That's all I can think of right now.

dawgfan,

Removing the faceplate isn't to difficult. First pull off all the knobs. Do not try removing the push buttons. You don't need too and if you try, will most likely break. The middle brass retainer can be a bit tricky. I built a special tool for that, if your careful a screw driver can loosen it up to start. To avoid scratching the faceplate when removing the hex screws, just loosen them up with a wrench then do the rest by hand.

Do a search on this site there is tons of comphrensive info regarding most of what you will need, including cleaning, replacing bulbs and lamps etc.

I would try putting a piece of hard wood underneath the faceplate and a softer wood on top and tap it out with a hammer. I think this way would spread the pressure more evenly apposed to bending it in a table vise. Be careful, it can crack.

Take it slow and good luck.

You might want to try to straighten it out using a good size vise if you have access to one. As with the other methods offered, you need to protect both the front and back side of the faceplate with leather, or cardboard etc., and then a piece of wood or aluminum on each side. You would then tighten the vise slowly and determine if this is providing the results you want. If it isn't, you can stop before you do any damage. It's very similar to the Arbor Press method.

Good Luck,
Tim

Back
Top Bottom