Back from Midwest Audiofest

Personally, I have nothing against new audio components. My problem is that, I guess, I haven't heard enough new gear to make the conclusion of what's better.....I just haven't been impressed with anything I've heard. But if anyone can recommend some good components from what they've heard, here's what I'd buy.....

Give me an amp that has the bass punch of the SX-1010, the sweet midrange of a McIntosh, and the striking and crystal clear highs that only 7591 tubes can produce. Give me a turntable that not only plays well, but isn't fussy and is built as rock-solid as my Technics SL-5300. Give me speakers that have the incredible soundstage, speed, and dynamic presence like my Altec A7s. Oh, and the tuner must be very selective and have great reception like my Mc MR-67.

If I had all those qualities in my audio system, drive it on over and I'll sign a check of less than $1500, then I will be truly happy. Oh, wait, I already am :D

Audio/Vintage Stereo Equipment

Where was that audio event? Are there any clubs or events in the midwest near or around St. Louis Missouri?

There is a pretty serious group in St Louis but I don't know if they have meetings or not. There is a site that they sell gear from with a lot of it being minty vintage tube gear. If you can't find it I will try and track it down. I found it doing a search myself.

well..I've heard rumors that Mike Baker isn't going to have the Lima event next year :( Of course...I haven't seen this rumor confirmed yet...but it doesn't sound good. (I wonder if he'll have it the year after?)

Hmmm...if he does end up having the event next year...I was planning on trying something a little different. The other two years I hardly got a chance to sit down and B.S. So, I was thinking of getting a room...setting my system up...and puttin' some beer in the ol' cooler :D

we'll see>>>>>>>

Yes, it appears the party is over fishin. This is a huge disappointment for me, I loved trekking down to MAF in the spring to listen to some great gear, tip some beers and shoot the shit with some like minded audio wackos.

Mike B did a great job putting this show together and I can see how something as huge as organizing this thing could burn you out. Maybe someone will jump into the fire (fish?? :) ) and organize an alternate but it would be tough – Mike really set the bar high. MAF’s high efficiency speaker focus (which just naturally includes SET tubes and even analog front ends) was the real draw for me, making dedicating 4 days and driving 12 hours each way worth it. A more conventional show, with more dealers, more middle-of-road gear, less DIY stuff or even a “vintage” focus (I’m ducking now!!) just wouldn’t interest me as much.

Sound Practices, Listener magazine and now MAF, soooo sad. Good thing there are a few of you MAF types here at AK to keep me sane.

Billfort

Mike Baker was already hinting at the last Midwest Audio Fest that he probably wouldn't be repeating this remarkable feat next year. Still, I simply cannot accept that "the party is over"!

If indeed Mike decides to take 2004 off, I would be seriously tempted to put together a 2004 MAF myself, although there would be two significant changes: (1) the event would be held in Bloomington, Indiana rather than Lima, Ohio, and (2) the Fest would have to take place a month or so later than April. (May, June, and July would be ideal months for me.)

I think I should mention that Bloomington has an INCREDIBLE music scene, with lots of fantastic jazz and folk artists! Premium musical entertainment would certainly pose no problem here.

I would also want to maintain the focus of past MAF gatherings (SET amps, high-efficiency speakers, vintage and DIY gear) as much as possible.

So, assuming that Mike will not be organizing a Midwest Audio Fest in 2004, I would be willing to host this event myself next year. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated...

Cool Brian! Do you want to start pursuing this?

I know you've got a good selection of Hotels in your area...but how much would we be looking at to for rooms...and to rent a couple of seminar rooms?

Would a 2005 projected date work out good for you? Giving you enough time to sort everything out for the first year. Also, would you want to tackle this event as a yearly event, or go every other year?

If you need a hand...just let me know.

Do you want me to start putting the word out for you, to see what kind of interest you would get?

I would agree that one of the cool things about MAF was the overall attitude...from all the participants. Laid back...listen to some good tunes and have a good time!

Who knows...if you have the event in 2005...I might even have my preamps and amps done ;) (yeah right :p)

let me know>>>>>>>

Hey gonefishin!

Wow, thanks for the supportive response! I stayed up late last night thinking through the logistics of such an endeavor, and I think you're right - 2005 would be a much more realistic date for the next MAF, as I think I'd want to start making arrangements and reservations at least twelve months in advance...

There are indeed plenty of hotels around here (Bloomington is home to Indiana University, after all), and many have pretty reasonable rates. I also don't think that I'd have much trouble finding large rooms for exhibits, seminars, etc.

Oh, and I'd LOVE it if you were to help get a feel for how much interest there'd be in this event!

Of course, I'd want to run all of this by Mike Baker first - it's his baby, after all, and not knowing what his future plans are, I sure wouldn't want to step on his toes!

Cheers,
Brian

If you were still interested in taking this large task upon yourself ;)...I was going to suggest the same thing.

Contact Mike Baker and talk to him...ta see how he feels about it. I'm sure he can offer tons of advice that he's learned along the way...along with helping you out with the current contacts and such.

I did ask Mike what was going on with MAF. He really did a fantastic job creating one great event! ok...make that...two great events ;) Any how...here's the link

keep me posted :D

Count me in

Brian / Dan: If there is anything I can do to help pull this off let me know. I'd love to have another "MAF" get-together in the future. And I'm with Fish, I'd like to spend more time just sittin' and shootin' the breeze. You could bring your system, I'll bring mine and we'll have a "shoot-out", so to speak.

MikE

Wow, 650 miles from me, guess I'm screwed. Would love to be involved and help you guys out if this goes ahead but this is almost fly-in stuff from Toronto.

Too bad, after looking at a map, I'm back to being depressed.

Billfort

Originally posted by Billfort
Wow, 650 miles from me, guess I'm screwed. Would love to be involved and help you guys out if this goes ahead but this is almost fly-in stuff from Toronto.

Too bad, after looking at a map, I'm back to being depressed.

Billfort

I'll buy ya a couple CD's to listen to while your driving. It's like the heat index or wind chill. Yeah, you may be driving 650 miles...but it feel like 400 :p:

see you there ;)

Sure! I'll just toss the Altecs in the back seat, plug the 300B's into the cigarette lighter and the Sota can ride shotgun - 650 miles and an international border will be nothing.

Wait a minute, my records might skip. Damn, and I was already to pick my LP's for the trip. Guess I better give this a second thought.

Billfort

Mayhaps we want to start a new thread on this?

I will state up front that the day I spent at MAF was not long enough, and I looked forward to attending another one. It was the first audio get together I've ever attended, and I enjoyed meeting fellow AKers and getting to audition equipment I would not have otherwise been able to.

April through September is the worst time of the year for me job wise, but I would have found a way to attend. I would be happy to help in any way if a new format has to be organized.

Heck, I may even send a couple of CDs to Billfort to help him on his journey.

Anywhere near Columbus is a cinch for me, could make Detroit in a day, a smaller town without city traffic would be superb.

Hmm Sounds like fun!

I flew to the last MAF so as long as it's not in Hawaii it looks like a good deal. We need to drag Mike B if we can so he can sit down and relax this time like we all got a chance too. Hey Mike any chance you comming?? Sure would be nice to have yah!! Gezz we all at least owe you a beer that should cut some of the expenses down:D

Rob:)

Last edited:
Okay, I've given this a LOT of thought over the past week or so, and I just wanted to let everyone here know that I'm now QUITE serious about taking on the next Midwest Audio Fest!

In my opinion, Bloomington, IN, would be a fantastic site for MAF 2005. And I've already begun to put out some feelers regarding possible musical entertainment for the evenings - I am acquainted with several outstanding local jazz artists, and am friends with one of John Mellencamp's regular backup musicians (JM lives in Bloomington, you know).

I'm very excited about this, and I'll probably be starting a new thread here soon asking for input from fellow AKers on how to make this the "must-attend" audio event of Summer, 2005...

Happy listening!
Brian

Summer of 2005, unfortunately!

Even before Mike Baker decided to reclaim his personal life, there was already talk of making MAF a biannual event. And, having never before taken on the task of organizing an audio show, I would want at LEAST a full year to put everything together properly. After the success of the last gathering, I certainly wouldn't want the next MAF to be a half-baked (or should that read "half-Bakered") affair...

Back
Top Bottom