Back in the Saddle

71Challenger

3rd kick at the can in this hobby. Just set up a temporary system to test out some gear and decide what direction I want to go.

20170106_232040_resized_1.jpg

I'm trying out speakers Mission 700s, Paradigm 7se and Energy Pro 22s.

The Energys have been in a shipping container for over a year and I'm terrified to even hook them up. I think I will bench the tweeters first.

The Missions have that British voice, awesome for acoustic and jazz.

The Paradigms are clean and powerful, leaning to keeping these.

Some may remember I had a flood in my basement almost two years ago. Lost a great deal of gear but I saved a few choicer pieces which have been in a shipping container in my driveway.

After the initial emergency cleanup crews came in we had issues with insurance (originally the company was great but that changed, dont ask). So i wound up doing the reconstruction myself and teaching my two grandsons we're rearing (16 and 11) how to tape and sand drywall, put down flooring, etc. They've been a huge help, and we had fun too.

In October 2015 I had a pretty bad heart attack which really drains your energy. It has taken me alot longer to finish the basement than I wanted but the finish line is in sight.

Last edited:
Well it sure looks good! Im glad you are doing better friend good for you! that room looks really nice also........:beatnik:

What good are grandkids if you can't use them? :) When I re-floored our house, my wife wasn't able to get vacation that week, so it was up to me. Then the light bulb went on - "I have grandkids! No point letting them go to waste!" So one Monday morning I gather two of my teenagers and we went to work. And, we actually had a grand old time.

Problem is, even though they have been surrounded all their lives by my nice sound system and an array of musical instruments, I can get none of the three interested in true hi-fi or music making. Their preference? Their I-Phone and some ear buds. :(

By the way, I've been down Heart Attack Road five times now, and there is no fun involved whatsoever. I'll pass on another.

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited:
Good the see and hear things are getting better there.
If you don't mind, can you provide some thoughts on how the insurance co. was to deal with concerning your audio gear? I often worry they wont cooperate if something were to happen.

Thanks to one and all for the kind words.

The amp is a Pioneer SA8800 which I rescued before the flood water got to it. It has been in my office at work for the last year but I brought it home over Christmas. Turntable is a Rega Planar 3 w/RB300 tonearm and AT440mla cartridge.

Drugolf, I had pictures of all my gear but didn't add any riders on my policy specifying the audio gear. Make sure you have riders specifying the gear you have and that it is to be at "replacement cost".

I had an Akai gx-747 reel to reel. The insurance company found a $20 portable reel to reel and thought that was acceptable. I had a mint pair of Mission 765s I had just redone (crossovers and cabinets redone). They offered me $50. Insurance companies seem to take foul language in stride.

GDMOORE, 5 heart attacks!? One was more than enough enough for me. If I have another it better be the big one, the first one was bad enough.

Back
Top Bottom