Back To McIntosh Gear - Got A MR67 Today!

crooner

Tube Marantzed
Hi fellow Mac owners!

After four years of being "McLess" I've joined the ranks again with my purchase of a MR67 tuner. This was a local eBay purchase. I went to pick it up today. It is in clean, original condition. Some pitting on the chrome but it appears untouched:

MR67.JPG

MR671.JPG

MR672.JPG

MR673.JPG

I went back in time to my days in Caracas, Venezuela when I owned some serious McIntosh stuff:

mac14.JPG

caracasstereo.jpg

I am happy with my little MR67. Not that I don't miss the gorgeous MR78 and it's amazing performance. The MR67 is no slouch either!

Kind regards,
crooner

Last edited:
Nice start to your new Mc-collection. Living in S. Cal. it will be easy to buy about any piece you wish at a right price. :) Enjoy!

Carl

Nice unit their Crooner!!!

I had one myself until $$$ got tight and had to sell it. Matter of fact had to sell several pieces I would have liked to keep if $$$ problems had not got in the way. The MR-67 is a very sensitive unit and very nice soundstage. Be sure to get it aligned and checked and you will appreciate it much
Cheers, Ron

Hooked up the MR67 tonight. Wow what a sound! I found the MPX light was not illuminating, everything else works perfectly.

MR67A1.JPG

I don't think it will require realignment since the stations came in at exactly the right spot on the dial. Calibration was dead on. Not bad for a nearly 40 year old unit!

MR67A2.JPG

I didn't experience any anomalities, birdies or hum. And yes, what a soundstage!

Not only that but the sound is much more focused, less difussed.

It is so good it's scary. It sounds good even with MP3 sourced material via my flea size FM transmitter!

I used this transmitter to relay some old 1980s music that I grew up listening to.

I found out years later that the station in my hometown used McIntosh equipment including a MX113 as a monitor!

The engineer who built the station was an early audiophile that ultimately donated his vast collection of Audio and High-Fidelity Magazines to the local library. I got a hold of these magazines when I found out the library planned to dump them!

I still own some issues, but I've sold off most of them. Managed to scan some nice ads before I did. I sold a whole bunch to Mike Zuccaro here in San Diego. At least I know they are in good hands! :)

Here are some cool scans of those magazines!

audio0165C.JPG

audio0156C.JPG

audio0264B.JPG

hf0361D.JPG

hf0465A.JPG

Enjoy!

crooner (re-certified mcfreak)

>> I don't think it will require realignment since the stations came in at exactly the right spot on the dial. Calibration was dead on. Not bad for a nearly 40 year old unit!
>>

That is not a sign that an alignment is unnecessary. A properly aligned tuner will, on the same station sound clearer and fuller because it has been adjusted for lowest distortion. Given you have old parts and tubes in there, it would not be surprising if things have strayed over time. Luckily, tube tuners don't seem to go out of whack as much as SS ones. An alignment would also improve sensitvity.

Replacing the selenium rectifier would also be a good idea to avoid a possible fire.

Nice pics!!!

Last edited:
Hi Crooner,

Congrats on your MR-67. It is a beauty. I have the early version of it. I had Rich Modafferi perform his full modification on it and it is incredible. I see you fixed the red stereo light. You are now set. Great sounding tuner.

PRM

What a wonderful tube tuner...enjoy it!

I almost won an MR67 on eBay 2 years ago to replace the Carver TX-11 I had at the time. Unfortunantly, I was outbidded the very last second, so I lost out. Probably just as well...I ended up being laid off and had to sell practically everything I owned. Had I won the MR67, it would've been sold as well.:(

Yes, it is such a wonderful tuner. I don't mind about the light chrome pitting, I am more concerned about scratches and blemishes in the front panel. This one has a perfect dial glass and front panel so I am a happy camper.

It wasn't exactly a bargain. $395 on ePay. I did have the advantage of a local pickup, so I was able to get the Mac the day after I won the auction and thus avoiding the hazzards of UPS shipping :)

I have it tuned to my local NPR station. Absolutely awesome sound.

I know how it is to sell all your gear. I did that 4 years ago. But as long as there is health and the will to pursue musical and audio nirvana, you will certainly own nice gear again. I have!

For now it will be my sole McIntosh gear. I am quite satisfied with the rest of my setup. But who knows I might try a Marantz 8B amp one of these days, that is if I manage to save the $$$ it takes to own one!

Kind regards,
crooner

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom