Back to the rabbit hole with a Pilot 240

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by hwystar, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:08 PM.

1. hwystar

hwystar Super Member

127_3916.JPG 127_3912.JPG 127_3913.JPG Hmmm, I was just thinking about taking the wood from the console this came out of and making a cabinet for this. If so I'll post pictures. It's a nice Mahogany. 127_3916.JPG 127_3912.JPG 127_3913.JPG

One reason I got out of tubes before was for the lack of time and resources to do the restore work myself and couldn't afford to pay someone. Couldn't be that difficult but it would be my first attempt at such. To date I have only replaced one resistor and one capacitor, I'm thinking I could repeat that about 50 times. The good thing is it works now. Tips or advice?

Leland47 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dswankey

Dswankey Super Member

If you can re purpose the wood that would be good thing!!

drtool likes this.
  3. hwystar

hwystar Super Member

I've been thinking about it. I think I can make something that will work and the faceplate is just kind of dangling out there. Needs some support behind it.

4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

The tabletop models attached the faceplate to the metal lid. I had the same issue with my FA-590, my fix was to lay hands on a lid for some other piece of Pilot gear.

Leland47 likes this.
  5. hwystar

hwystar Super Member

That metal lid you're talking about would be preferred if it were available. Quick easy fix and originality to boot.

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Pilot used that same size chassis on several integrated amps and tuner/preamps. I think the tuners were not as deep so the lid stops short. I can't remember what mine is from, but its about 2" shorter than my FA-590 tuner/preamp chassis is.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. hwystar

hwystar Super Member

I came to realize I was just kidding myself about the recap. I can't even find the time to recap a pair of speakers. And the Pilot is a good bit more complex than these speakers. So I took it to a tech about an hour and half away. I know it will be well cared for and I will have greater peace of mind. Someday I'll try it maybe with something a little simpler. It was good I was going that way anyhow so dropping it off not a problem. But in my haste I did forget to take some critical measurements so I could start working on that case.