1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Backpack recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by mhedges, Apr 1, 2018.

1. mhedges

mhedges Super Member

My old Tenba backpack is getting too small and I need something bigger. Need to hold:

Nikon D5500 (small DSLR)
    35 mm 1.8
    16-80 zoom
    10-20
    70-300
    Flash
    Assorted other small stuff.

I’d also like for it to be able to hold my tripod on the outside and a water bottle.

Any recommendations? I wanted something hands free so that’s why I was thinking backpack but I’d consider a bag too.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JDub

JDub AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well heck, 4 days and no responses? I was about to post a near-identical thread myself - I just squandered a chunk of this year's profit sharing bonus on a DSLR and zoom lens, so I need something to haul it around in, although I was thinking shoulder bag rather than backpack. Surely some of the folks who post all the great outdoor/wildlife photos have an opinion on gear portage options?

3. mhedges

mhedges Super Member

Well I've been doing some research and I think I will go with a Tenba Solstice backpack. It is rear access, meaning (if you use the belt) you can remove the shoulder straps, swing it around in front of you, and it's basically like a little workspace. You don't have to take it all the way off and set it on the ground to get stuff out. I like that idea a lot, since I do urban exploration photography in sketchy places where you most definitely don't want your bag to come in contact with the floor/ground.

4. onepixel

onepixel .

Lowepro makes some very nice camera bags of all types.

My compact shoulder strap Lowepro fits a Micro 4/3s Lumix and two lenses and cards. I really don't like hauling stuff. When I need too, I'll stuff all that into an REI Flash 18L, 8oz backpack. That'll hold another lens, flash and can latch the tripod to the outside. Not easy access or very well protected, but it doesn't look worth stealing. I'll be seriously upgrading everything so I'll be looking for a new pack system.

5. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

You need a sherpa or two.:biggrin:

6. mhedges

mhedges Super Member

It's really not that bad. They are all fairly small light lenses. It's not like I'm hauling the pro f/2.8 zooms or long telephoto primes around.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

There are so many options and tastes, that it becomes very difficult to make suggestions. A lot of people like the Peak Design backpacks. I have a Thule Aspect and it fits my needs. As mentioned above, Lowepro has a lot of nice bags. I have one of their sling bags.

8. No Money

No Money AK Subscriber Subscriber

Have a look at wandrd.com. I have two of their Prvke bags in different sizes as I also shoot large format. Amazing bags, well thought out, and great if you travel as well.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  9. danj

danj modern primitive

I'm a fan of Lowepro products and that includes my backpack. It's roomy, waterproof when properly closed up, and comfortable. It set me back about $150, which is not bad. Remove the backstraps and it make for an easy to carry camera bag.