1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

backyard movie nights DAC little budget DAC

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by mattd008, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mattd008

mattd008 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like to do movie nights in the backyard with the kids. I have been lugging an old Sony STR-DE598 receiver out with the gear below, but I am looking to simplify.

I have an old (not very good) LCD projector that is not HD but has an HDMI input, Apple TV, little jerry rigged 50 watt TPA3116 amp, and a pair KEF C20's. Sometimes I will hookup a sub woofer too...Anyway, I need a DAC because the audio out of the appleTV is optical.

What do folks recommend? I don't expect to ever do surround sound, I just want something simple that makes it so I don't need to lug a bunch of junk outside. Better yet I want to haul smaller, lighter junk outside.

The screen I use is a kingsize sheet white sheet from wall-mart, it that helps put my budget and need for high quality into context. I did sew a ripped-in-half black sheet to the sides to make it look more like a movie screen, so it isn't all junk (it sort of is, but it is my junk and I love it).

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tim64

Tim64 Super Member

mattd008 likes this.
  3. PianotunerNJ

PianotunerNJ Active Member

+1, can’t beat that price. Fits bill.

mattd008 likes this.
  4. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

I'll second this recommendation - I had one of these on my Oppo DV-971 disc player and it had especially great sound for the insane low pice!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    mattd008 likes this.