Bad Balance Slider - 2215B?

JJCalvillo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I bought the 2215B, took it home cleaned it up and tested it. Sounds good IF I push the balance slider 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the right. In that position the speakers are balanced.

• Doesn't matter if it's Speakers A or Remote, slider needs to be to the right to balance the speaker volume.

• Nothing happens when you move the slider from the center position farther to the left. It's Done everything it's going to do by the time it gets to the center position, ie: shifting the balance to the left speaker.

• Have only tried radio at this point. It's the same for AM or FM.

I KNOW NOTHING about working on gear, but my gut says it's the balance slider. I tried DeOxit but the slider is not easy to get to, the holes are tiny and I don't know how much if any DeOxit is getting in. Worked the slider back and forth after the DeOxit and it didn't seem to do anything.

What should be my next move? The slider box looks like it has metal prongs that wrap around the back to hold it together.

• Do I want to try taking the switch out, bending the prongs to open the box and check it out?

• Is there a better way to work on the slider?

• Am I totally off base, it ain't the slider?

Second Photo below shows the position of the balance slider to achieve left/right balance.

Attachments

• Baby.JPG
    Baby.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 14
  • Balance.JPG
    Balance.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
If you can, try cleaning all of the controls. My Tape Monitor switch caused some problems similar to yours. After a good cleaning of all the controls, everything works well.

I didn't take the Balance slider apart so I'm not sure about that.Hopefully someone else can advise further.

Congrats on the new Marantz! That's a nice little unit. Paired with efficient speakers, it can be surprisingly loud and full.

Update:

Took the faceplate off to get to the balance slider, unscrewed it and moved it back into the receiver as far as the attached wires would allow me. I was able to squirt some Deoxit and worked the slider some more. Still no joy.

Notice the FM Muting wasn't muting either. Thought it was before, maybe not.

Also, put an antenna on and stereo is strong.

Like Baby Marantz, just need a little luck with the tweak.

If you can, try cleaning all of the controls. My Tape Monitor switch caused some problems similar to yours. After a good cleaning of all the controls, everything works well.

I didn't take the Balance slider apart so I'm not sure about that.Hopefully someone else can advise further.

Congrats on the new Marantz! That's a nice little unit. Paired with efficient speakers, it can be surprisingly loud and full.

Dude, I cleaned everything I could with DeOxit D5 and followed up with G5.

Also, this was in a wood shop. So there was probably particulates floating around all the time. It wasn’t incredibly dirty on the inside when I opened it up. All the caps looked alright and there weren’t any discolored spots on the board, but I haven’t test anything with a meter.

Last edited:
Try the AUX input with a CD player of adapter to your phone or TT to Phono. This will bypas the FMAM sections. If works here then problem may be on there and not the slider. You could also get a DMM and check the resistance of your slider between the center pin and both legs to check if resistance is equal as you slide to each side. That could pinpoint the slider is good or not.

Try the AUX input with a CD player of adapter to your phone or TT to Phono. This will bypas the FMAM sections. If works here then problem may be on there and not the slider. You could also get a DMM and check the resistance of your slider between the center pin and both legs to check if resistance is equal as you slide to each side. That could pinpoint the slider is good or not.

I did try the phono section and it was the same deal, weak on the right.

With the DMM I would set it to ohms for resistance (sorry if dumb question but zero experience)?

I did try the phono section and it was the same deal, weak on the right.

With the DMM I would set it to ohms for resistance (sorry if dumb question but zero experience)?
Have you downloaded the Service Manual? Good place to start learning the physical layout and electronic design of the circuit boards. You will need to create an account.
Here is link: https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?marantz/marantz_2215b_service.pdf

Make sure power is off when measuring resistance. Recommend investing in mini grabber leads if measuring voltages. Safer for you & your gear. Pwr off, make connections, Pwr on, record measurements, Pwr Off. Repeat. Can’t stress safety precautions enough. If not comfortable, take it to a local tech you trust.

@JJCalvillo
did you get this resolved? I have a 2215B with the same exact issue. I've cleaned everything and no luck. The FM Mute doesn't work on mine either.

This was my foray into Golden Age of Wireless stereo, so the resolution turned out to be taking it to someone with a clue. Tech gave me a baggie with 3 or four caps but I couldn't tell you where they came from, maybe the right side of the amp board. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks. I'm now trying to get those caps. I'm going to need C704, C704 and C708. Looks like the left side caps have been replaced by the previous owner. There's a note from 2001 for a $39 service for left side repair and the caps look cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom