Bad Commercials

I thought the recent Progressive commercials "Progressive can't stop you from becoming your parents....." were funny, but the one where the guy spoon feeds his wife? NO!

Also, the progressive box with the chinchilla. Are we selling insurance or trying to get more people to have chinchillas?

1. The animated Mr. Clean.
2. The overly tight white clothing.
3. The tired, sex-starved, desperate housewife stereotype.
4. The mop grind.
5. The "uncanny valley".
6. That bumbling husbands can't clean.

Those commercials are just plain GROSS! Nothing funny about them. If having a sense of decency makes me "too old", I'll take that over being young and gross any day.

They are nonsensical, I'll give you that, but keep in mind who the audience is. Kids! You only have to see how many hundreds of parody commercials have been made that make fun of the Skittles commercials and then note how many MILLIONS of views all those parodies have garnered to see that the spots, whatever you may think of them are extremely effective. All those millions of views were FREE!

They are nonsensical, I'll give you that, but keep in mind who the audience is. Kids! You only have to see how many hundreds of parody commercials have been made that make fun of the Skittles commercials and then note how many MILLIONS of views all those parodies have garnered to see that the spots, whatever you may think of them are extremely effective. All those millions of views were FREE!
Enjoy it if you like it. My opinion isn't changed one iota.

4. The mop grind.
5. The "uncanny valley".

I had a different take on this housewife fantasy cleaning commercial, finding it outrageously amusing. After all, it's her husband doing the cleaning exciting her Chippendale fantasy.
Otoh, the Carl's Jr. sloppyburger ads?
https://www.eater.com/2017/3/29/15105878/carls-jr-no-more-slutburger-ads

Last edited:
You guys are too old. These commercials are hysterical. Skittles are awesome.
I'll give you old thing(but no the 'too' part), admit that others might find them funny while I don't, but not that they are awesome.
I formed my opinion of their shittiness way back when I was a kid in the 70s/80s. No idiotic commercial will change that. :rflmao:

4. The mop grind.
5. The "uncanny valley".

That commercial made me cringe. So much was wrong with it on so many levels.. And this is from a guy that thinks the Skittles commercials are great!

If Mr. Clean had somehow converted her husband into a sexy cleaning machine, the spot would have worked.

Don't care for Starburst, either!
I think it's the fake fruit flavour thing. I grew up in an era with all manor of gross sugar treats, but those just didn't work for me. :eek:

Must be you don't dig the "fuity wax" aspect...lol.

That commercial made me cringe. So much was wrong with it on so many levels.. And this is from a guy that thinks the Skittles commercials are great!

If Mr. Clean had somehow converted her husband into a sexy cleaning machine, the spot would have worked.
It didn't in her eyes?

Back
Top Bottom