Bad USB experience

audiobliss

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
This is the first time I tried USB for audio, and it was a scare. My new LG tablet has a USB output, so I decided to try it into my C48. I found a nice looking Beldin USB cable in my draw of cables so I hooked it up from the tablet to the C48.

I recently discovered the Jazz Groove internet radio that sounds so good using Bluetooth, that I wanted to see how much better a direct connection could be. So I turned on everything and it played for about three minuets and stopped. It sounded great and the C48 display even showed 32/192., but no matter how I tried it would not play again. Then I discovered that not just the USB input wouldn't play, but no other digital input would also.

Finally I unplugged the C48, started it back up, and they played again, at least the optical is, but I am scared to try the USB again. Anyone have any idea why the digital inputs tripped out. Was it the cable, the tablet, Jazz Groove too good ? Maybe I should just stick to Bluetooth.

Make sure the volume on your tablet is turned up. I’ve made that mistake on my iPad a time or two.

This is the first time I tried USB for audio, and it was a scare. My new LG tablet has a USB output, so I decided to try it into my C48. I found a nice looking Beldin USB cable in my draw of cables so I hooked it up from the tablet to the C48.

I recently discovered the Jazz Groove internet radio that sounds so good using Bluetooth, that I wanted to see how much better a direct connection could be. So I turned on everything and it played for about three minuets and stopped. It sounded great and the C48 display even showed 32/192., but no matter how I tried it would not play again. Then I discovered that not just the USB input wouldn't play, but no other digital input would also.

Finally I unplugged the C48, started it back up, and they played again, at least the optical is, but I am scared to try the USB again. Anyone have any idea why the digital inputs tripped out. Was it the cable, the tablet, Jazz Groove too good ? Maybe I should just stick to Bluetooth.
The C2500 would have a lot of issues like this also with a USB connection. For starters find out what Firmware your preamp has, if old get it updated. If I remember correctly with the c2500 the USB plug contacts where also part of the fault. Some guys claimed deforming the cable plug end helped and stopped the bad connection. When they had a glitch with the contacts while playing though the USB they said they would have to shut down their preamp and the player to get a reboot.

Thanks for the reply, I will try another cable. If that dose not work, I will play the tablet through my Oppo 205, with optical or coax to the C48. I never liked USB anyway.

Thanks for the reply, I will try another cable. If that dose not work, I will play the tablet through my Oppo 205, with optical or coax to the C48. I never liked USB anyway.
How long was the USB cable??
I'd learn to like USB as it is the best protocol for Digital Audio, you can go 32bit/192 on the C48, but only 24/96 on the coax/optical input on the C48.
I can record 64inputs on my RME USB Madi card into my computer, its the universal protocol, its stable and convenient.

The firmware has nothing to do with the USB Audio on the C48, there is a separate USB Audio update, if you are running a device with USB 3 then you might want to do this update. I have the File and could guide you through the process.

But the most common issues are, USB cable too long, and some exotic cables that "look" good, actually have crappy USB plugs on them.
Make sure the USB plugs are clean, make sure the USB socket is clean, you might want to use some contact cleaner.

The cable is 1.5m , its been sitting in my draw for years but the contacts looked ok. I even touched them up with some deoxit gold before I tried it.
I was ready to buy a audioquest if it worked well . I am not sure what USB version the LG tablet has, but would that trip out all the other digital inputs?

I just looked through the LG manual and this is what it says.
2. Connecting a USB device to your tablet
The USB peripheral port is located at the top of the device. Insert the USB
port and plug it into the desired device.
Some of the USB devices supported through the USB port include a
keyboard, mouse, game controller, digital camera, and storage device
(including an Android smartphone acting as external storage device).
As most USB keyboards, mouse and game controllers are designed
for desktop computers and operation systems, some devices may not
function.
NOTE
Ţ Only devices that meet the USB specs may connect to the USB peripheral port.
Ţ If you are experiencing errors with device recognition, please use a shorter USB
cable or check the USB Hub with external power supply (Self-Powered Hub).
Ţ Only file systems such as FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS are supported for the
external USB storage device.
Ţ Transferring data through both USB devices at the same time is not supported.
The first device that is connected has a priority.

Does that tell you anything, I think its not compatable for hi res audio, but then I am barely computer audio literate .

Yes it is totally suitable for Hi Res audio, as its a windows computer, you need to go in and set the audio driver up, read the user manual to see how. On an IOS Apple, its plug and play.
The only reason the C48 will lock up is it there is a conflict with sample rates.
What media player are you using?

Do you mean to set the audio driver up in the C48?
I am trying to stream with a LG tablet with Android 7, using the USB output .

Do you mean to set the audio driver up in the C48?
I am trying to stream with a LG tablet with Android 7, using the USB output .
Nothing to set up in the C48, you need to set up the USB audio in the Audio settings on the tablet.

If it's the same USB section my C2500 AND MAC6700 uses, good freaking luck. They're problematic to say the least. Trust me on that. It is a known problem, of that I can assure you. It will quit working one day and then never again. Awesome gear that I love but the USB flipping sucks big time.

Yeah, that's what I feared , I think I will just leave it alone. If the USB just stopped that would be one thing , but I trips out the other digital inputs also.

Yeah, that's what I feared , I think I will just leave it alone. If the USB just stopped that would be one thing , but I trips out the other digital inputs also.
Have you tried the things I asked you to?
Have you set up your ASIO on your computer?
Have you tried another computer?
Its locking up because there is a conflict happening, it could be a number of things, but you need to try them. USB is an excellent protocol for digital audio as I have stated already, I am an Audio engineer, I am using digital audio every day, its not witchcraft, that much I can tell you.

I have had my C48 for about 6 years, and I have none of these issues.
I use a short, decent quality cable.
Use JRiver media player (you can use others, but I have found J River to be the best)
I use a 2011 Macbook Pro, sometimes my girlfriend plugs her macbook pro into the USB as well....she doesn't have any issues with it either.

There are issues you can have with any USB audio device and one is when you are listening to a playlist for instance, and you have a mixture of Sample/Bit rates. It will easily play a higher rate, but when the song after that is a lower bit rate, it might lock up.
But that is easily rectified by a simple power cycle of the C48 and sometimes is may be necessary to restart the media player.
But I know about this, and I understand this is a big ask of any digital playback device, so it doesn't bother me, I just don't have those situations happen in my playlists. Even the best of the best professional USB audio interfaces have this issue, and ones that cost a lot more than a C48 or C2500....

There is no "fault" with you gear, you need to understand how to set up is what it comes down to.

If it's the same USB section my C2500 AND MAC6700 uses, good freaking luck. They're problematic to say the least. Trust me on that. It is a known problem, of that I can assure you. It will quit working one day and then never again. Awesome gear that I love but the USB flipping sucks big time.
Great attitude, as stated, "they" are not problematic, if they were, then mine and a lot of others units would have the same issues.

I'm glad yours works. I have $10 grand tied up in 2 machines that have the same thing going on. Worked for a while then quit recognizing computers of any kind with many multiple different quality cables. AC says it is a problem and it is a McIntosh problem. I just get along without it. I love my gear otherwise.

It litetally will not recognize ANY computer, or better said no computer will recognize it. It's as if nothing is connected. A 2500 and a 6700. Same digital hardware I assume. Same thing. Not a hater, actually a fan who voted with his wallet.

I'm glad yours works. I have $10 grand tied up in 2 machines that have the same thing going on. Worked for a while then quit recognizing computers of any kind with many multiple different quality cables. AC says it is a problem and it is a McIntosh problem. I just get along without it. I love my gear otherwise.

It litetally will not recognize ANY computer, or better said no computer will recognize it. It's as if nothing is connected. A 2500 and a 6700. Same digital hardware I assume. Same thing. Not a hater, actually a fan who voted with his wallet.
Get them fixed, there's obviously a hardware issue, would have been good to push the issue when they were in warranty....Probably out of warranty now I guess so probably not economical to do so....

I can get them both fixed.....if I ship them back to AC. The thing is from what I'm being told until McIntosh comes up with a true "fix" it could happen again. Too big of a pain in the ass to ship and I'm not going without for a few weeks. Like I said, I love my gear and am pragmatic enough to just not deal with the on board usb. Digital and optical work fine. You are lucky your's has worked for so long.

"they" are not problematic, if they were, then mine and a lot of others units would have the same issues.

I promise you lots of other units have the same issues. You won't hear that from many people who sell it for a living but I finally did. Still love the stuff though, it's going nowhere.

I promise you lots of other units have the same issues. You won't hear that from many people who sell it for a living but I finally did. Still love the stuff though, it's going nowhere.
That is disappointing to hear, as if my USB Audio wasn't working, I'd be looking at another pre-amp.

In "text" I appear more upset about it than I really am. All I have to do (haha) is send them back to AC for repair, but its just not worth it to me. I really do love both units, its just the usb sucks plain and simple

Back
Top Bottom