Balanced output preamp for long cables

NBPK402

I have a Yamaha cxa preamp, which will have all my sources in a different room than where my amps, speakers, and turntable (Project RPM 1.3 Carbon with Sumiko Pearl cartridge) will be, and need another preamp with balanced outputs to run back to an input on the Yamaha cxa5100 preamp. I will be using 3 runs of 75' of Monoprice xlrs for the front 3 channels(plus 2 more runs from the stereo preamp back to the Yamaha), and I have a $50 Art phono preamp for the turntable. I will have the turntable, and Art phono preamp by my front 3 speakers (DIY k402 horns modded to synergy style speakers...which should be done this fall, as we have 5 to make). The speakers will have minidsp 2x4 crossovers, and B&O amp modules (which I plan to bridge, and run as balanced) installed in the k402 cabinets.

I am trying to find a preamp that I can either plug my Art phono preamp into or one that has a phono stage in it that is better than what I have, and has balanced outputs, so I can run them back to the Yamaha AVP using the balanced outputs,and inputs due to the cable length. I would prefer to spend less than $500, but could go as high as $1k. I have no problem going used to get a better product for less.

Any suggestions as to what would work out best for me, and my budget?

Simplest approach would be a single ended (rca/unbalanced) to xlr/balanced line converter.

Art Cleanbox Pro, Rolls MB15B and Radio Design Labs FP-UBC2 (additional power supply required) all do what’s needed. I have the RDL and compared it with the Art and felt the RDL was cleaner sounding definitely tighter spec on freq response vs Art. There may be other options in a similar config.

If you are interested in upping your game with a better Phonostage there aren’t many options in your price range with balanced out. I can attest to the Pro-Ject Phonobox ***(RS) being superb. New they list @$1k but can be found used for less. If you’re satisfied with where you are at with the Art try the converter approach first.

***Edit*** Pro-Ject Phonobox RS sorry missed the designator for the Balanced out capable top of their line

Art Cleanbox is available on Amazon $69, RDL is quite a bit more with separate 24v ps necessary

Last edited:
I have no problem paying $175 shipped for the unit if it sounds better. I can always upgrade the phono stage down the road then, and not worry about it being the weak link.

I have no problem paying $175 shipped for the unit if it sounds better. I can always upgrade the phono stage down the road then, and not worry about it being the weak link.
There are options at a substantial discount (~40%) for the RDL and it's power supply on the auction site right now.

Below are the specs provided by Art and RDL. The most obvious differential impact is on the frequency response performance. The RDL UBC2: 20 Hz - 40 kHz +/- 0.25 dB Art Cleanbox Pro: 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 1 dB THD is half (typically a tenth) for the RDL vs the Art as well.

http://www.rdlnet.com/downloads/datasheets/fp-ubc2.pdf

http://artproaudio.com/isolators/product/cleanbox_pro/

Back
Top Bottom