Balanced XLR or DB25 cable?

mike175gr

What would provide better performance? Connecting my MC207 to my MX119 via the DB25 cable, or by using balanced XLR cables?

Or is this somthing that is silly to even think about?
I should be picking up my replacement MC207 next week and I have been thinking about how I am going to be hooking everything up.

I will be upgrading from an MX132 and a MC7205 that I will be placing on Audiogon shortly. They have worked beautifully, (and both mint with factory boxes etc.) but I got bitten by the upgrade bug and needed to grow!

I already have the DB25 cable and a set of XLRs. I was curious if there was a preference of one over the other.

I have balanced cables everywhere I can. I think it is a matter of convenience using the db25 but I think balanced should give you a better performance, perhaps Ron-C has an answer.

I had an MX132 that had speaker hum that drove me nutz. My Dealer AND McIntosh Couldn't solve it, so I returned it. It repeated the problem at the dealership as well.
Now, the new MX135 has XLR outputs...I have one and there is NO other way to go.

Harelyx, Were you using the DB25 with your MX132? Until my MX119 arrives I am using my MX132 and it is dead quiet for me, no speaker hum.

When my new gear arrives I will use the XLR connections instead of the DB25 cable, I was just curious if there was an opinion of one over the other out there on this issue.

Thanks

No, I was using Cardas Neutral interconnects. During the problem, I tried almost every cable available, but as the problem never went away I realized it was the 132

Privateer said:
I do not think those are shielded.
No, but not only did they not react with my Anthem AVM20, they were silent with my Proceed AVP2.
And other cable we tested on the 132 were shielded.

I liked the cardas products until I cut open one of my neutral interconnects, I can email you the pictures if you want.

I have the Mx119 connected to a MC206 via the DB25 and have had no problems. i never connected it via the balanced RCA b/c of the cost though, so hard to compare. i hear the MC207 is a much better amp, wish i would of got that, but bought a MC2102 tube for a zoneB instead.

mike175gr said:
Jupiterfx,

That sounds pretty sweet for a "zone b"!! How are you enjoying your MX119?

i do like it alot. i kinda wish i would have purchased the MX135 though as it gives more options for zone b configurations. otherwise the pre-amp is wonderful. bought some keypads that i will use to control it with. should be a good set up, have to match my tube with a speaker still.

I hope someone "googling" for this cable sees this current note. I have seen "audio" grade versions of this cable ranging from $40 at Audio Classics, to $80 at ProAudio, to (Believe it or not !!!!) $795 on eBay.
I found a piece of 232 ribbon cable with a male DB25 connector and a female DB25 connector on Amazon for $6.95. For your information, it works flawlessly connecting my MX134 to my MC7106. No hum, no problem. I have a McIntosh branded cable enroute from Audio Classics. If they take returns, I'm sending it back. Obviously, I'm not a believer in interconnect "magic".

As the 119 only has balanced outputs for the front channels and it sounds like the 207 is close at hand I would use good rca cables. Thats what I did even though my 207's were 22 ft away as the cable flys.

In my system there are some room EQ's and electronic crossovers in the way of the signal from the processor to the power amps. The crossovers uses terminal strips and the EQ's use balanced or Un balanced Phone plugs. So 5 ft from the 119 that feeds the center and rear via EQ and 3 ft to the crossover and 23 ft to the amps. Then the L/R go 23 ft to the second EQ, 3 ft to the crossover and 8 ft to the amps. The side channels go 23 ft to the 3rd EQ and 8 ft the amps. The system worked very well for almost 9 years. This year I replaced the 119 with a 151. But thats another story.

You should really enjoy the 119, its straight forward to set up, has a sweet high end and excellent midrange.

Make sure YOU GROUND YOURSELF before touching the controls other wise the unit will go into shock and you will have to reboot the system.

Another issue is you can wipe out the manual use of the Mode and Input selectors with built up static electricity. Then you'll have to use the remote to operate the unit. So ground your self before touching the knobs or chassis.

Connect all the cabling first before connecting the power cord and turning the unit on, or you can wipe out any analog RCA input you are trying to connect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom