Baldwin 40 watt Mono Blocks get Getchellfied!

Thespeakerdude8

Hi Guys! I'm building up a pair of the Baldwin 40 watt Monoblocks from the model 45 organs for Bre's Dad and he asked me to share my progress on here.

Here's how they come stock. They run a Quad of 6L6G's, one 12AX7 (earlier versions used a 6SL7 with slight changes to how the NFB is dealt with.) IIRC, the original version used 3.9k NFB resistor and inserted it below the cathode resistor for the first 6SL7 stage, the 12AX7 versions use a 39k NFB resistor and inserted it AT the cathode of the first stage. The overall circuit in them is very close to the Magnavox 93xx and 88xx amps, using a paraphase inverter and similar component values. Experts will argue that the Paraphase inverter ain't up to the task of driving a freakin' quad of 6L6's in push-pull parallel... but we'll scope it out later on. Besides, if it sounds good who cares? These amps when re-done will give a LOT of well known vintage hi-fi amps a run for their money.
1012385_10151471718556277_1239344059_n.jpg

32632_10151471718881277_904586758_n.jpg

He wants the chassis polished so first thing I'm doing is removing all the transformers so I have a flat surface to work with. The iron in these things is insane! The power transformer alone weighs almost 20lbs. I'm doing these one at a time so I can have a before and after reference.

1003003_10151471719061277_2070837049_n.jpg

Here's a test spot on one of the chassis. I'm using Mothers Aluminum & Mag Wheel compound for polishing.

993894_10151471719261277_1043605439_n.jpg

1006268_10151471719376277_694086031_n.jpg

Here's after one polishing with the 6" wool cutting wheel. After this they get a coat of Mcguire's carnuba wax and then clearcoat.

995922_10151471719541277_1978619248_n.jpg

I took this photo on my way home from my storage unit ( had to grab some more polishing materials.) This is after the final wax and prep for clear.

1004071_10151478371276277_1531343533_n.jpg

More to come but I'll lay a game plan out:

-Upgrade filter caps to Nichicon UPW series low esr 105* caps, using 100uf first two stages and 47 for the rest (vs the stock 8 uf before and after the choke.)

-Upgrade coupling caps to Solen fast caps- excellent bang for the buck, going from .1uf to .22 uf to improve bass response.

-Adding binding posts for the 8 and 16 ohm outputs

-Adding high quality rca binding posts

-Adding a bucking transformer set up to buck 6.3v off the input voltage of the amp to get it down around 115v so the tubes don't red-plate. These amps WITH the bucking transformer run about 400v on the plates and run a class A idle bias from the four 6L6G's.

We'll be using old stock RCA 6L6G (coke bottle or ST shape.) These tubes sound GREAT and have a different sound than the GB's or GC's. The amplifiers were originally designed for G's, but ran them right on the edge. We'll address that later on in this thread.

After all of the cosmetic and electrical refreshing we'll hook em up to a scope and a load and play with the NFB and check frequency response, sine and square waves and adjust till it looks right- then we'll listen and adjust accordingly.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
How do these amps sound recapped?? I have some of them,,, and I can get more. I want to build a huge console around them.... have you heard these things rebuilt?? Please share. do they have a lot of bass????

How do these amps sound recapped?? I have some of them,,, and I can get more. I want to build a huge console around them.... have you heard these things rebuilt?? Please share. do they have a lot of bass????

These amps need some simple circuit upgrades (which I'll detail down the road) to make them into true hi-fi amps..but they sound incredible. The bass from them is literally bottomless... They 'drive' better at low volumes than most hi-fi amps I've heard...and I've been around a few of the greats..Marantz, McIntosh (yuck) Ampex, Craftsmen, Quad, Fisher, Scott. They are cleaner, tighter, and more neutral sounding than the Fisher and Scott gear, particularly in the low end department. The massive iron on them is a very "brute force wretched excess" way of going about things....and all things considered the Power tranny's 500ma+ of B+ current reserve and dual 5U4 rectifiers is all but utterly wasted on only 40 watts...but it makes for an extremely stable power supply that doesn't sag under load.

Last edited:
Here is my Baldwin where I have three of those amps and two three channel 6bq5 amps the electronics in this console are fried and I can't afford to rebuild them and not only that,, they are not worth it. It is being gutted and will be a Hauptwerk virtual digital organ so the amps and the 7 tone cabinets are going to be used for stereo equipment. and the console will speak through regular speakers like the new digital organs. It will have a touch screen as well as the drawknobs and it has sams for the combination action. it will rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 103_0543.jpg
    103_0543.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 218
Also will be totally midi and will control all my midi stuff through that console. the only bad thing is,, it weighs 1400 lbs it broke the organ dollies that I used to move it. I will have a music server rack in it as well as the virtual organ server.

The weak point of those amps are the output transformers , also the first cap needs to stay low about 5 mfd to 10 mfd 600 volts or the B+ will skyrocket .

Edcors would be a good choice for replacements

Last edited:
The weak point of those amps are the output transformers , also the first cap need to stay low about 5 mfd 600 volts or the B+ will skyrocket .

Edcors would be a good choice for replacements

Don't sell the original output's too short...I've replaced the outputs on these with bigger and "better" edcor units before and there was VERY little improvement in sound, mostly a touch of top end, but that was before tweaking the NFB and adding a cap to reduce ringing. Sure there's better iron out there, but for what they are they are pretty dang good in their own right. I've built 4 or so pairs of the 40 watts, 4 of the stereo version (two with new edcors, two with the original 35 watt OT's) and two pairs of the 20 watts.

The B+ doesn't change much in my experience from the 8uf oil filled caps (or were they 5mfd?) going up to 47 or 100uf. Although I will say before the choke you can get away with the tiny cap anyways but whenever I have used 100uf there has been a marked improvement in transient response.

These amplifiers also had a 115v input winding vs 120v.
When you fire these up on 120v, the heaters are around 7v and the B+ is way too high. Drop in a bucking transformer and the voltage drops to 6.3v exactly and the B+ is close to what it is on the original schematic. Also keep in mind depending on how you wire them, the original choke was between the first cap and ground. If you change this scheme to a normal input choke scheme the B+ will rocket with large capacitors.

EDIT: I love your 100 watt versions with the 6550's, I remember that thread and have always wanted to do something similar. IMO, the PT on these amps probably loafs along cool even running the four 6550's!

Keep in mind that these amps were for organ use. and when you play some pieces the score could call for a 32 through a long passage so it has to keep up with a 32 foot pipe pitch. I figure that they are built well,, I just never heard them with regular music. and wonder what they would sound like with say something like my Mc preamp.

Keep in mind that these amps were for organ use. and when you play some pieces the score could call for a 32 through a long passage so it has to keep up with a 32 foot pipe pitch. I figure that they are built well,, I just never heard them with regular music. and wonder what they would sound like with say something like my Mc preamp.

I've heard my builds being driven by various preamps, Bre's Dad had a nice one and I can't remember the name ( chime in here? ) Also my own personal 76/6J5 line stage, various Sansui SS pre's...My MA6100's preamp never did ANYTHING for me soundwise and I know it's supposed to be C26/C28 pre mated to a power amp...but I hated it with just about any amp I put after it. The preamp in the Sansui 1000x/2000x/5000x and 9090 series of amplifiers always sounded cleaner and less dull...maybe my 6100 was just in bad repair?

RCA 6L6G :thmbsp:

Uh huh :thmbsp: Their Startin to creep up on the 'bay...maybe I should keep my big mouth shut! :D

Ahem I mean these poor little 19 watt plate dissipation tubes can't be used in place of 6L6GC's so they must not be good... ;) Send them all to me for disposal!

I've heard my builds being driven by various preamps, Bre's Dad had a nice one and I can't remember the name ( chime in here? )

Its a Jolida Music Envoy (the 4 input version... there's another version with more inputs I wish I had) running 4 Telefunkens, two 12ax7 and two 12au7. Two are NOS but don't remember which ones.

These amps are replacing a pair of the 'smaller' 20 watt versions that Bobby built or helped build (the gentleman I acquired them from did some work too but I don't know who did more, but I think Bobby did the bulk of the work.) I use the term 'smaller' very loosely as its the same chassis, just a slightly smaller power tranny and fewer tubes. Still about 30lb each.

Anyone else thinking you could use those three power sockets holes on the other side of the OPT as giant binding post (or SpeakOn) and RCA connection locations?

-D

Anyone else thinking you could use those three power sockets holes on the other side of the OPT as giant binding post (or SpeakOn) and RCA connection locations?

-D

That's what I've done in the past, I usually fill them with an aluminum plate and then put 0-8-16 ohm posts there. The RCA usually goes near the preamp tube. Bre's Dad wants the binding posts on the back of the amplifier ( the side with the hole for the tone cabinet plug.)

I had time Saturday to clean up the transformers. I've found a good method to keep the laminations from looking like "I just painted them with black spray paint." I take the end bells off by removing all four bolts on the transformers first. Then I shoot the laminations with Krylon Flat Black, mainly because that stuff dries in 5 minutes. Then I shoot the laminations with Krylon clear coat, which is an acryllic based paint and dries in 5-10 minutes. This gives a very thin coat of color back to the laminations and keeps that original "freshly varnished" look that they had back in the 50's.

969042_10151484675121277_863769458_n.jpg

here's the before shot.

Teasers!

After painting the laminations of the transformers, I polished the end bells to a nice semi-gloss luster with car polish and put them back together. Here's a few teaser shots with the transformers reinstalled and a mock quad of Sylvania 6L6G's. My 5U4G's are at my storage unit, so I stuck some 5Y3G's in for the pose.

544425_10151484678166277_1570461856_n.jpg

971705_10151484678341277_765711009_n.jpg

Next up, when I get a free moment, I'll wire up the transformers and begin the re-capping process and modification process.

TSD88

Back
Top Bottom