"banana jack" plugs for Dynaco a25's?

Thanks a bunch. Yeah, the prices were great, so I ordered up a dozen to try out. If, for some reason, they don't work out for amp/speaker connections, I can always use them for some of my test equip.

Is this the speaker? If so their is nothing better than the spade connector.

View attachment 1219496

Well that might be the woofer for the speaker. I think the op is looking for speaker connections not driver connections but he did not specify. Solder would be a better connection than the spade but spade connectors work just fine if they are installed like new with the proper tensions.

...After rebuilding the crossovers on the Wharfdale W35’s I was reacquainted with just how good, and simple an old school sold brass screw with a Thumb nut is. For the $50 bucks one pair of Cardas binding posts costs you can purchase enough copper screws, bolts, and thumb nuts to refurbish a bunch of speakers with a connection that is every bit as good as anything no matter the price.

Using copper would allow corrosion that is not electrically conductive. The connection would be great at first but might degrade of the years. But since everyone breaks and remakes the connections in their rigs every year to correct any corrosion, dust, dirt, fungi, bacterial, or other contaminant in the electrical path at the connectors it is not a big deal to use copper. If one just connects and waits for a problem, copper would be happy to supply one.

Of all of the banana plugs I have used this is the best design. I use them on the vintage test equipment I have which uses banana plugs for the test leads. They work particularly well with sockets that are worn from years of use.

View attachment 1219611

I hate the version of those connectors I have. They are too soft and the cable can bend the connector where it meets the connector grip. The teeth of the BFA also don't hold as well as they should. I see a few folks do like them so I'm thinking I got crappy BFAs on my speaker wire. NBD, I'll change em if they cause too much trouble. But that is part of the reason I go with the tried and true, professional choice, Pomona for connectors. They...just...work!

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post is DO NOT buy Furutech products off of ebay unless you can verify that the seller is an authorized Furutech dealer. You will almost certainly get ripped off. I have a 69 dollar set of counterfeit FP-202Gs around here somewhere, and they're probably not as good as the 29 dollar set of WBT copies I bought from PE.(which sound like crap too).

not sure these will work with 16 gauge wire (16 AWG soft "loud speaker cable" from monoprice), what is your opinion? thank you. (referring to https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/banana-plugs/plugs-bp-sz-single-banana-plug-red/)
Okay. You asked for opinions, so here's mine. I would not use plated brass for any kind of connector, be it a banana plug or rca. I prefer gold or silver over copper, and my personal experience is that there is a pronounced difference in sound with plated copper vs plated brass. Once again, my opinion and experience only. I have no scientific data to back up these statements. I started out with cheap plugs, including some I got at Lowes or Home Depot that resembled the better monoprice offerings with dual set screws for the wire retention and was dissatisfied with all of them. Just my .02 BTW those plugs you showed should work fine with your wire.

Last edited:
not sure these will work with 16 gauge wire (16 AWG soft "loud speaker cable" from monoprice), what is your opinion? thank you. (referring to https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/banana-plugs/plugs-bp-sz-single-banana-plug-red/)
Good Stuff I use the Monoprice 12AWG cable. I have transitioned to KnuKonceptz Kord Kable 12 Gauge Copper Speaker Wire a little more expensive but marvelously flexable very good insulation.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/

Here is their 16 AWG 100’ spool is .22¢ a foot.

B47A83AF-C91B-44A6-8C17-6DF671E5FA95.png

As an aside, the other side of the speaker wires will plug into an Allied 355 (Pioneer for Radio Shack circa 1972) , to which I had just ordered a plug/cable set which is also 16 gauge so the option to migrate to KnuKonceptz Kord Kable isn't there right now. As much as I've loved my previous Hafler 110/220 setup, the Allied receiver, which is only 25 watts per channel, offers a really beautiful and pleasing listening experience with the Dynacos so I'm going to hang with this receiver for a while.

Alot of great options for speaker plugs. Thanks to all.

update/conclusion(?) - well as it happens i found a few pairs of nakamichi plugs in one of my cabinets, then figured out the obvious - unscrewing to push in the wire and then tightening and then after reassembled exerting a little force to push the plugs into the speaker posts and it's as rock solid as the sound. i'm sure there's better, i'm confident every one of these suggestions are upgrades, but this is fine. The plug/cable set for the Allied came today and it's a significant upgrade to having the speaker wire barely connected with scotch tape as a temporary solution. i'm listening to Kind of Blue on CD now and it's glorious.

one more novice question - there's different inputs for phono in the back of the Allied depending on the cartridge - ceramic, magnetic. I'm using a Stanton 681EE. I actually have no idea; can anyone tell me?

Back
Top Bottom