Bang and Olufsen Beocenter 7000

mattybass

Young Audiophile
Hey guys, as in the title I have a line on a B&O Beocenter 7000 apparently from the 70s. Guy said the tape doesnt work and the hinge to the lid is broken. He's asking $80. I could really care less about the tape and I would probably have the lid off when playing anyways. Should I take this deal assuming the TT is in good shape?

Thanks, I have no idea what this unit is worth. I read on here that they went for something like $4000 new but was it a good TT?

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal if the TT and cart are good. The cartridges are basically unobtanium (not true, but they are very expensive now).

Heck, if you can deal with the bulk, $80 for a cool looking classic receiver with discreet outputs is fine even if the TT and tape dont work. Broken hinges are indeed fairly normal at this point. Just make sure the tuner works well and pulls in FM in stereo.

Last edited:
Holy Hannah the thing is a receiver too?! This thing looks killer, might be a new bookshelf unit!

I have to say, reading the articles on this website http://www.beocentral.com/products/bc7000

That era of B & O gear is gorgeous in my mind... it's vintage minimalism, I bet having a whole collection of this era of gear would make your listening space look like a a 70's vision of the future. I'm gonna bite on this thing I think, provided it looks good and the TT and cart. are in good shape. Otherwise I'm not going to bother unless he unloads for like $40.

Talked to the owner today, going to take a look at it tomorrow. He said other than the tape not working and the broken hinge, the stylus and cartridge look fine and it works.

One thing that I was sort of taken aback on was the speakers he said come with it. I asked him which speakers and he just said "the original speakers". Did this unit come with speakers? Was it sold as a complete package? Maybe this question would be better suited to Beoworld...

Sounds like a good deal if the TT and cart are good. The cartridges are basically unobtanium (not true, but they are very expensice now).

I don't know why this myth persists that cartridges are "very expensive." $150 buys a brand new cartridge from Soundsmith. It's an excellent cartridge and worth the money. The B&O tables are worth putting $150 into a cartridge IMO. Hell, I put a $530 cartridge on my B&O.

Sure, if you buy another table that takes all kinds of cartridges you can get a $50 cartridge, but I wouldn't say $150 is "very expensive," certainly not compared to the cost of the LPs you'll be playing on the the table.

I don't know why this myth persists that cartridges are "very expensive." $150 buys a brand new cartridge from Soundsmith. It's an excellent cartridge and worth the money. The B&O tables are worth putting $150 into a cartridge IMO. Hell, I put a $530 cartridge on my B&O.

Sure, if you buy another table that takes all kinds of cartridges you can get a $50 cartridge, but I wouldn't say $150 is "very expensive," certainly not compared to the cost of the LPs you'll be playing on the the table.

$150 only? Well that's not bad! If this deal is surely what it sounds like when I check it out tomorrow and I can get this whole system with a new cartridge for $230, then I'm definitely buying it. I'll post pics tomorrow when I have it. :music:

Check out sound-smith.com

The cart for the unit you're considering might be slightly more... I think yours takes the MMC-20xx series (MMC-20E, MMC-20EN, etc.) rather than the MMC-x series (MMC-4, MMC-3, etc.)

Right you are Jon, the B&O cartridges are worth the bucks. However, a lot of people picking up used systems for cheap are hoping to find a $20 generic stylus to get them up and running again and this is not the case here. Agreed, $230 for a B&O receiver and TT with a new cart is a great deal.

The gear is here! Picked up the unit and a set of Beovox S30's for $80. As an added bonus, I got a very old Rogers Magestic tube radio that actually works and even has a working lightbulb for $20!! I'm going to create a separate thread for the radio to post pics, but I'll link it later. For now, PICS of the 7000 and speakers.

Upon inspection, the unit is fully operational except for the tape player. Also, the silver lid that covers the tape deck was skewed and would not close without shimmying the lid. My guess is the unit was dropped from a small height and the cover was skewed. I think it's fixable, so I've disassembled it and my hope is some epoxy is going to repair a few loose parts where I can see the glue has separated. The cartridge and needle looked fine, I used a small stylus brush to gently clean the needle, hoping it's fairly clean. Looks and sounds great, so we'll leave that for now. All of these pictures are pre-cleaning, but I've managed to clean most of the grunge off the surfaces (looks like someone spilled cola on it or something :sigh:). TT lid is a little scratched up but still has plenty of resistance in the hinge :yes:.

As for the speakers, I believe the tweeter in one is non-functioning, sadly. I haven't taken a close look, but I unscrewed the tweeter and noticed the solders were fine. I figure it's the tweeter because when i switch the balance from left to right, the speaker with the suspect tweeter sounds like an AM radio station compared to the crisp sound in the other. Am I right in the diagnosis?

The unit was pulling in pretty good FM signal without an antenna which makes me feel comfortable. Remote is functioning... screw it, let's just let the pictures talk:

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg
I'm not sure if you can tell, but these speakers look mint! The surrounds look untouched. When I asked to remove the grills, the owner said he wasn't sure they even came off. That would explain the untouched look. The grills also had quite a bit of resistance in getting them off which may mean they were never taken off before.
IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

Last edited:
moar photoz:

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the haul. It's too bad the hinge to the tape lid is giving me a headache, not to mention on of the hinges to the rear ports is missing as well. If I can improvise something to fix the hinge to the tape lid and the connections, then I will be a happy camper. I'm a little paranoid about taking the whole receiver apart, does anyone have any information on how difficult that may be? A little sticker on the back warns that only qualified professionals are able to repair any components inside. I know that is usually to ward off the curious, but are these things quite complex inside? I don't want to take it apart and not be able to put it back. However, I'd love to clean the inside out. I suspect the original owner may have been a smoker due to some discolouration I cleaned up. Who knows.

Last edited:
re: taking it apart.

Some B&O gear can be a little more difficult to take apart but it is doable. Just be careful & methodical. Grab your digital camera and take pictures of each step so you can reference the photos if you forget how or where something goes.

Nice stuff you got there!

Thanks guys. I'll probably take a look inside this morning, I'll post some pics when I get to that stage.

Well, I cleaned the unit up and (partly) fixed the hinge problem on the tape lid. The only bummer is the broken tweeter in one of the speakers. I have two questions:

1) Are tweeters a proprietary size usually?

2) Can I hook up speakers that use regular speaker wire to these units through the preamp or something? Obviously I need a speaker wire to RCA connection but I hear that's easy enough to solder.

Well, I cleaned the unit up and (partly) fixed the hinge problem on the tape lid. The only bummer is the broken tweeter in one of the speakers. I have two questions:

1) Are tweeters a proprietary size usually?

2) Can I hook up speakers that use regular speaker wire to these units through the preamp or something? Obviously I need a speaker wire to RCA connection but I hear that's easy enough to solder.

Congratulations on the score! You might want to post about the speaker issue in the 'speaker' forum. Those B&O speakers should be salvageable and those guys should be able to give you some leads.

Back
Top Bottom