Bang & Olufsen Beogram CD X

Beatnik

What's this ?
Went on a mission this weekend to find a decent "single" disc player. Hit quite a few thrifts and pawn shops the last couple of days hoping to come across a Yamaha while digging through stacks of multi disk units and DVD players.

In a pawn shop I came across this B&O Beogram CD X. Set it up there and it all seem to work fine, talked them into my price range and now own it. Haven't gotten it home yet, still in the truck here at work right now. What do you think of these, is it actually a nice player or ????

Very fine, very sturdy! I am just in this moment listening to the Beogram CD 3300, which is pretty similar to the CDX.

Thumbs up for this fine gear, if the price is acceptable!

For further informations you may visit "beoworld" or, which I prefer, "beocentral".

Last edited:
Yes, it seems to be really nice, beefier than it looks. The non-removeable rca's made me wonder though.

Looking on that auction site it seems I would have done pretty well price wise if I hadn't haggled and it didn't even play.

I'll check those sites as soon as I get it hooked up and going.

Thanks !

One of the best of the early generation CD Players. Very well built, excellent sounding. Uses the Philips CDM-0 or CDM-1 transport. Still beloved to many.

Well, it starting getting to where it would skip real bad. I noticed it made a sound like the disc was slightly rubbing something as it spun, a shhhh shhhhh shhhh sound. Disc showed no signs of wear at all like you would think something like that would cause ? I sat a disc in and spun it quite a bit by hand and the player has since played through six discs with no issues at all.

Fingers are crossed.

As I mentioned above, my Beogram CD 3300 is pretty similar to yours.

Just would like to remark that my player makes such shhh shhh shhh noises especially at the beginnig and at the end of playing a CD. The noise is pretty low, so I had come to terms with that.

My Philips CD 100 makes similar noises, and sometimes my Hitachi DA 1000 as well. Okay, 30 years old CD players, old men make also ugly noises from time to time... :D

Answer is yes. You did well grasshopper. I sold a unit a year or so ago for like $300. It worked like new.

Since I did the manual spin it's been almost whisper silent. Maybe had something in the motor ??? Still crossing fingers.

Three or four of the track lights were out at first, but have since all started working. Sounds nice so far !

The unit is essentially the same platform as the Philips CD104 and the Magnavox FD1040. A number of other players such as the Mission DAD7000 are based on the platform as well. No question the CD-X is the best looking of the bunch.

Though it sounds good as it sits, polypropylene output coupling caps and updated opamps improve it noticeably. There is an immense body of information on the web about repair and maintenance of the electronics. Between that and the really high quality transport mechanism, the unit should be good for another 20 years.

So far no more problems. Another 20 yrs would be great !!!

cdx.jpg

I get depressed every time I see one get trashed in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Bastages -- obviously the set choreographers weren't audiophiles...

Had one in 1988 as a source for a full-blown British QUAD setup with Linn Kans and still remember how musical it was compared to the stuff that was out at the time.

Yours looks mint... Nice! :music:

I picked up a Beogram CD-X today from an estate sale. They had it overpriced so it did not sale. I stopped by at the very end of the sale with only about an hour left. They let it go at a price I could not pass up. Brought it home, cleaned it up a bit and it plays like new. It has a neat feature of popping up the CD when the lid opens, which makes it easy to pick up the CD. It is a really cool looking CD player. The platter even looks like a beogram turntable with the rubber lines.

IMAG2137_zpsvc0tlk0b.jpg

IMAG2138_zpsxe9db8ef.jpg

I get depressed every time I see one get trashed in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Bastages -- obviously the set choreographers weren't audiophiles...

Had one in 1988 as a source for a full-blown British QUAD setup with Linn Kans and still remember how musical it was compared to the stuff that was out at the time.

Yours looks mint... Nice! :music:

You must mean the one that Todd and Margo had. Trivia....who played Margo?

I connected the Beogram CD-X to a McIntosh MAC 1700 and JBL 4311b speakers. Rather impressive sound I do have to say. I'm still a vinyl guy, but depending on the CD, the CD-X is sounding very nice. :thmbsp:

Hello,

I know this is an old post but, does anyone here have experience replacing a broken hinge on a BeoGram CD X? The left hinge is broken on mine and I have no idea how to remove it and install the new one. Please help!

Back
Top Bottom