Bar Band Playlist

grillebilly

Empty Head
Some of the best shows you will ever see are in bars. If I need to explain you wouldn't understand.
Post your bar band playlist. Videos are just as good, and they don't have to be bar bands per se if the artists are in a small club.
First off is a band that has tore up many a stage across the globe, and are typically found in a beer-soaked barroom. This video lets you hear Rick Miller's guitar mastery and you can oogle at Mary Huff too.

Local guitar player by the name of Billy Stapleton, and he plays in several bands around the area. Dynamite stuff, his slide playing is a real treat. And I get to go see him tomorrow in an establishment within walking distance.

Booze Pig - O'Cayz Corral, Madison, WI, sometime in the late 80's (no video or audio, sorry)

Man Clam Chow - O'Cayz Corral, Madison, WI, sometime in the late 80's (again, no video).

Another local fave is the Stacy Jones Band. Regrettably, the only vids I find are the same one, and are by no means their best number.

Healiner: The Ramones
Opener: The Rave
Venue: The Red Lion Inn
Place: Champaign, IL
When: 19 January 1979

I don't know if this one is @ Utoob, but I have a fine FLAC audio-only recording of The Rave set. The Ramones recorded the whole thing but have not released their portion. Now that all of the original members of The Ramones are deceased, I much doubt that the audio record of their portion of that night's performance will ever see the light of day. Pity, as the rhythm geetarist of The Rave described that evening's performance by The Ramones as "historic".

Danny Gatton was local and would play in dives all over town.
His nickname was "The Humbler", his playing let all others know you will never be this good.

The smaller the venue, the better Danny G.'s playing seemed to be. He loved the intamacy of a small venue, @ which he could strut out among the crowd, grab an 'empty" from a table, and dig into slidin' w/ a beer bottle, drinking glass, etc.

I used to go see the Ex-Husbands whenever they would come through town. Anyone ever see them? The singer/guitar player married the bar manager and eventually they landed in town. Now I get to play bass with him on a regular basis! Couldn't find any video and the studio stuff doesn't tell the real story - they could tear up a stage.

Back
Top Bottom