Barney Oliver intergrated amp. - negative feedback design

Maybe not, perhaps start a thread on former HP employees and see what turns up. I think there was a thread like that somewhere in the past.

Like x 1,000,000. Former HP Employees thread with their experiences would add value to AK. And VK alike. As so many of us have used their test equipment to repair and maintain our gear and professionally. I am interested in all aspects of this company. And the HP Way is admired here.

Well biscuit, its all gone now.
I gave the brute 70 to my tech friend co-worker who built the run as his wife screwed him in divorce and got it .
the Mac c26 and JBL Olympus spkrs I kept for the duration but sold some yrs ago and I got some profit from the sales..
Best of times IMO.
Before all mfg. went to china.
Sad to say hp was among the 1st to send a product to china to build and I was working with/on it the product whan it happened.
The 5045 IC tester.

PS: I have not seen any of the guys I worked with at HP here on AK. No clue why.
Am I the only one remaining?

About 20 years ago I was at a company called Advanced Energy (they build Sputtering equip) and just about everyone I worked around was from HP... I'll see if I can dig up some of those bones and get them on AK!

I read the "old thread".
My interest today would be from 1969 to 1980 or so at Santa Clara Div.
Lotta people either transfered to other divs or moved away after then.
Those who spent time working in 50 lower production floor building counters.
A PM conversation would be a good contact method if anyone meets those specs.
Like to hear from ya.

...PS: I have not seen any of the guys I worked with at HP here on AK. No clue why.
Am I the only one remaining?

We didn't work together but I'm a retired HP guy. I worked for the computer side of HP as a Field Engineer in the mid-Atlantic states, starting in the mid-80s. I left the field and went to the computer divisions, in 1996, working at the Cupertino plant that is now being rebuilt as Apple's galactic headquarters. I spent 20 excellent years with the old HP and watched as it was gutted after the Compaq merger. It was a good ride!

Cheers,

David (HP retired '84 to '05)

Well Dave, that is a detail that eludes me. I'd have to see a SN sticker to tell.
How do you like the B. O. amp?

If you're referring to the side panels with rack handles, those were standard panels for a lot of gear from the late 60s. The chassis and panels were standardized across a number of product divisions (an amazing feat when you've engineers all over the place!). You'll likely need to find some old donor oscilloscopes, voltmeters, etc, as the sources. In addition to the handles, there were rack ears available to fit those indention behind the handles.

The vinyl covering on those panels does not hold up well, though. I'd stick with the wood side panels myself.

upload_2018-8-14_18-38-52.png

There's a B.O. amp on CL here right now but they're asking a lot for it, IMHO.

Cheers,

David

Thanks for the insight David! I was thinking that it'd be cool to get the HP instrumentation look but I think I'll heed your advice and keep the wood paneling.

Another ex-HP guy here. Joined in 1984, TMO field sales in the Northeast. Went with Agilent in the HP spinoff, then out the door in tech meltdown 2003. Went to a small Swiss company, which Agilent later bought in 2006. Gone again in the 2009 layoffs, which were brutal. Still working in the T&M biz with another small company.
I have a basement full of old HP test gear, mostly bought in Ebay. A lot of items I knew inside out, from doing demos for customers for so many years. Comes in handy for testing/aligning tuners, and working on vintage gear - which I do a lot of.
Bob

Hi guys,
I worked for HP in the 1994-1998 time frame. Our design lab was bought by the HP computer system division(CSO), they had operations in Roseville, Cupertino, Fort Collins. I did visited the Roseville and the Fort Collins plants. They called our lab CNO for Canadian networks operation. We designed fibre channel computer data switches. they contained a few custom ASICS that we had expertise in. I worked as a pcb layout CAD designer on our first product, then I worked as a designer for a backplane for the next generation of a gigabit switch product. HP sold our lab to McDATA Corp out of Broomfield,Co then they eventually closed the Toronto Lab in the early 2000's. I still meet up with some of my old work mates, some are still ASIC designers working for AMD, graphic division, the old ATI graphic co
Learnt a lot as a designer, the processes and steps of the design cycle, like a well tuned machine.
I am retired, I have a Lab in the basement with my fair share of HP test equipment as well.

Back
Top Bottom