Barry Manilow or Neil Diamond

All joking aside from my prior post here, does anyone remember, or possibly even own, the Neil Diamond album of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"? He did the musical score for the motion picture of the same name and it is one of his very best IMHO. I have it on vinyl and just recently bought the CD. Unfortunately the CD doesn't compare to the original vinyl pressing...............

I had it, but like most records, it got scratched up and worn out.
I had Cherry Cherry on the original 45 and later the album that had Cherry Cherry, the 45 was way better then the albums track.
I have had that with more of Neil Diamonds music, later I got the CD called the best of Neil Diamond, it sounds like it got edited down, the punch of early rock and roll for the top 40 was edited out.
I remember when Cherry Cherry came out on the top 40, J.L. Seagull was way later.
Actually if you really want it, I think my son has it, just PM me, and I'll ask him.:thmbsp:

Notwithstanding that he is not MY cup of tea, Barry is selling out the Las Vegas Hilton (The Elvis Theatre), five nights a week, at $100/seat, and more, week after week, and is booked through the end of 2007.

Not bad money for someone who was never cool. Oh, and packing the audience with women of all ages. Check out one of the concert DVD's if you don't believe me. (My wife is the fan.)

I think Neil Diamond grab a bigger crowd, Barry was not my favorite, but he was in the top 40 way back in the late 1960's, I think he did better the Neil, I don't know why.:scratch2:

I have that J. L. Seagull album.

I would have to choose Neil. A guy I knew once tried to tell me only gay guys like Neil Diamond. He was kind of a putz anyway.

Have to agree with krazygrrl, a guy (or gal) who really belts it out, from the heart and soul, deserves respect even if I don't like their style. I would put both of these guys in that category.

I've a few copies of HAN and about ten other Neil albums including the JLS. Yes, I'm a fan.

But I also have about 4 or 5 Barry albums, one of which (a comp) I've played twice in the last couple of days. He was bloody good too! The build on "Could it be Magic" is awesome.

Long live old threads!

Neil.

He's a staple in my garage system. I like to listen to old pop stuff out there while turning wrenches. The Jackson 5 also get fair time.

Definately prefer Neil Diamond. I did, however, buy a Barry Manilow concert blu ray (for about $3) and was surprised that I actually enjoyed some of it. Had to skip through a bunch of the songs. The ending was really good.

Overall,i too would definitely go with Neil,have 3 of he's CD's which include "The Very Best Of" and the excellent soundtrack from the "The Jazz Singer",also have the DVD and VHS tape of the latter,decent actor as well as singer (usually the 2 don't tend to mix well).
Although i do own 1 Barry Manilow greatest/best hits CD,he made a few catchy ones.

Neil Diamond is the superior songwriter. And he's had many more songs recorded by other artists. I like both. Neil is the superior, especially his Bang and UNI years.

Neil. One I see as a smoozer cruiser, the other is a brilliant songwriter.

That song he did "America" still raises hairs on my neck, even after all these years, and only from a foreigners opinion, makes more sense than the anthem. No offence intended.

That's kinda of a "Which would you prefer to poke your eyes out with, a sharp stick or a screwdriver?" question.

My pick? Dylan.:D

Seriously though, Neil by a freshly-powdered nose.

Back
Top Bottom