Barry Manilow or Neil Diamond

Neil Diamond as a songwriter and a performer. He'd also beat the snot out of Barry in a fistfight, but they're both good Jewish Brooklyn boys!

NEIL!

Not even close! And I'm shocked no one in this 9 page thread mentioned, what I think is his BEST live album...Gold: Recorded Live at the Troubadour.

;)

Welcome back dead thread!

I can be very neutral as I have both in my collection. However, I still would listen to Diamond and I don't think I'd listen to Manilow any longer. However, I respect them both as singers, songwriters, and performers.

Diamond is, in my personal opinion, a much greater talent when you combine all the factors. And in his earlier years, I think he was a better "Rocker".
As an earlier poster mentioned, Give a listen to the original "Hot August Night" sometime, on Vinyl if you have it. You will, indeed, be impressed with the dynamics of the performance if nothing else. I think that's actually his best work. Yet, although this was a very early "Peak" in his career, he's managed to continue with smaller success peaks on-going.

I've not looked at stats regarding whom has led with hit records, but I have to believe that Diamond is solidly in the lead. And he has staples that are almost American Ballads. "Sweet Caroline", whether you love it or hate it, is even sung at Red Sox games.

Diamond has been around longer, and has evolved. He wrote songs for "The Monkeys" that became a hit, and he also Scored the music for the "Jonathan Lvingston Seagull" movie, which is yet another evolution for him.

I'd have to give it to Diamond.

1. Diamond
2. Randy Newman
3. Manilow
4. John Denver
5. Satan
6. Kenny Rogers
7. Michael McDonald
8. Stephen Bishop
9. Kenny Loggins

Last edited:
Not a fan of either of them, but I always liked the song "Forever in Blue Jeans" so I guess I'll cringe and vote for Neil.

Neil...
Young, that is. That said, I do sorta like some of Diamond's early stuff, especially his "Stones" album. And he did write one of my favorite Monkees songs, "I'm a Believer".

Couple more for the list ...

- Kenny G
- Whoever it was did "Sailing" ... now THERE's a song that will eat yer brain! Gimme that pole! Put him out of my misery!!

eating-human-brains-300x150.jpg

(Edit > Christopher Cross)

Not saying pOp can't be decent ... just not a fan. That said ... Bruce Hornsby does make it to the table every now and then ...

Back
Top Bottom