BarterTown: Should I?

11somekid

Part-time Lunatic
Subscriber
(This is probably in the wrong place, but it involves money, so it counts, maybe?)

As a Sophomore-going-on-Junior in high school (I asked some of the mods to change my age), I am possibly getting a summer job. It'll most likely be minimum wage, so I must ask: should I try BarterTown? To me, it appears to be a mythical land of decent deals that continues to allude me. Also, what are the other perks of a subscription? I would like to become a subscriber, but $25 a month is steep right now. Should I take the plunge when I get a job, or save up for better gear in the wild? Thanks!

I believe AK subscription is $25 for a whole year. So it wouldn't break a bank!
I wouldn't speculate about mediocre/good/awesome deals to be found there but you will definitely meet some nice and knowledgeable people.
But joining BT doesn't mean you have to stop watching local Craigslist or Facebook marketplace or whatever else...
Happy hunting!

I think it's worth the $25 myself.

Putting a WTB for what you need and with your budget can yield a whole lot of options.

And many people here are so loaded with gear that I'm thinking someone would be willing to give a new enthusiast to this hobby a pretty nice deal.

Whoops! $25 a year? I guess I read it wrong! Well, I'll still save up, though. If I sign up in the summer, I'll get all the spring cleaning items! We'll see in the summer I guess.

So what are the other perks?
Thanks!

The satisfaction of knowing that you are contributing to the good of the Audiokarma community instead of leaching off the goodwill of many of our members. :thumbsup: :)

Don't limit yourself to one source of deals. I check both eBay and Craigslist regularly (it helps to have automated searches set up). eBay is usually more expensive but you can find the occasional deal (especially if it's someone selling local pick-up only in your area). I'm not currently a BT member but will be rejoining soon.

One problem I'm assuming that you're facing is that presumably you don't have your own transportation - you're dependent on a parent or older sibling. So's not to annoy them too much (unless they're also involved in the search). do all of your research ahead of time. AK is a great resource but most of the vintage stuff that's out there is pretty well documented and a quick Google search will find it for you (you'll probably discover that a lot of searches will bring you right back here).

Whoops! $25 a year? I guess I read it wrong! Well, I'll still save up, though. If I sign up in the summer, I'll get all the spring cleaning items! We'll see in the summer I guess.

So what are the other perks?
Thanks!

If you sign up in the summer I'd assume you would have already missed all the spring cleaning items..lol. Batertown and access to members only sectsions of the forum are the only real "perks". Bartertown is just another avenue to buy and sell gear. For buying its just like any place and has good deals and not so good deals. One of the advantages is that due to the specialized nature of the forum, sourcing hard to find items can be easier their sometimes. As for selling it can be a great place to get rid of something since you have a good chance of finding an interested party, but it isn't the place where you are going to get top dollar for most items unless they are rare and sought after. However it does have the benefit of not having any fee taken out of your sales prices like ebay does.

The satisfaction of knowing that you are contributing to the good of the Audiokarma community instead of leaching off the goodwill of many of our members. :thumbsup: :)

This attitude should probably be stifled and always bugs me when someone trots it out. You certainly aren't fostering any "goodwill" when you make non-paying members feel bad or call them "leaches" just for being free members. Here's a little tip: AK probably wouldn't be the primary audio forum on the web if it weren't for the non-subscribers. Also worth note: non-subscribers pay with their eyeballs due to advertising revenue.

depends on what you need. For quick finding or something rare, BT is good. If you are looking for deal, NO

The forums in the membership section are:

Auctions for AudioKarma
Back Alley Pub - - you are under age, but can visit.
Barter Town
Completed Sales
Car Audio
The Reading Room

I understand the pain of being on a limited budget. There was a thread recently of a fellow who just lost his job, but didn't hesitate in renewing his subscription. Testament to its value in savings and reading material alone.

I particularly appreciate the Car Audio section. Lets me relive my younger days, and think about how I can use what i still have in my current car stereo system.

Contemplate it. It is a great bargain. In my opinion, when people learn your age and enthusiasm for the hobby, you probably will come away with some pretty sweet equipment at bargain basement prices.

Good luck in your decision.

I've seen/heard Analog's massive setup. Amazing how much sound comes from such small wattage tube amps, a great example of efficiency.

Agree on the debate point, we have more than enough serious threads to cover the best way to do this or that.

@luvvinvinyl

Ernie can you make somekid a subscriber I'll pay and send funds tonight from my home computer.
Thanks

I got the other half.... let's get a youth. Me and you 427

The $25 was well worth it for me. I've found some great deals on things I was looking for that more than made up for the $25. Plus, if you dont see what you need, just start a "WTB" want to buy thread asking for what you want. For me its mostly parts, but ive seen some great deals on equipment too.

(This is probably in the wrong place, but it involves money, so it counts, maybe?)

As a Sophomore-going-on-Junior in high school (I asked some of the mods to change my age), I am possibly getting a summer job. It'll most likely be minimum wage, so I must ask: should I try BarterTown? To me, it appears to be a mythical land of decent deals that continues to allude me. Also, what are the other perks of a subscription? I would like to become a subscriber, but $25 a month is steep right now. Should I take the plunge when I get a job, or save up for better gear in the wild? Thanks!

Sounds like you're quite mature for your age. If you are into audio gear already, if you are able to sell off something at a profit, the first $25 of that should go into subscribing to BT. Logistically, you should have access to a Paypal account (you need someone 18 years or older with credit card). 99% of the transaction on BT is done via Paypal, and people can send funds to your Paypal account instantly when you're selling.

Looks like a couple of the AKers are trying to help you out with your subscription. One thing to remember is to pay forward where possible as many more karma will return to you....good luck!

Not to mention that a forum like this with this kind of traffic is an expensive hobby. The owners most likely have to subsidize it from their own pockets and the advertising $$ just goes for more server space or whatever. No one is getting rich running a forum. I work closely with the owner of gotmead.com and she works her ass off just to keep her head above water. Without donations (subscriptions) that site and this one would cease to exist and a valuable resource would be gone.

Where else can you find in less than a minute volumes of information on even the most esoteric audio equipment? Google you say? Go ahead and "google" something weird in audio.... I'll wait..... Did you do it? Was AK the first or second resource google found? Yeah.

I have yet to use BT mostly because of shipping issues to my local is awkward, but simply supporting AK for a modest sum seems reasonable considering all the knowledge made available to me that wouldn't otherwise. I do look at BT, and get insight into the value of all things audio so in that way I get a bit of bang.

Back
Top Bottom