Basic Music Playback/Organization

beanoil

That's not how this works
I'm interested in this technology, and have done a fair amount of research. I've tried VortexBox, but could never get control of the unit through a Win 7 laptop, or my Win 8.1 tablet. I tried OpenElec, and could never get it to download artwork, and again there were several control issues with my WinBook. I could login, but never launch a file to be played. I'm thinking of trying a Win 8 load next, putting both my WinBook and the "server" in a homegroup, and using EAC as a rip, with WMP as the player. All I want is when I insert a CD, it gets ripped, and I can control it from my couch with the WinBook. Any suggestions?

Another day, another 6 hours of throwing software onto a hard drive. I tried the Win 8 with EAC, and actually had some success with the combination. Win8, EAC, and Plex software could actually be a reasonable solution for many, IMO. On a whim, I downloaded JRiver's 30 day trial. As far as turnkey solutions, this has it on lock. Auto launch at boot and autorip when a CD is inserted makes it very possible to run this headless, with no monitor. Gizmo works transparently from a laptop or my WinBook as a control panel. With Windows as a backbone, USB support for external drives and USB DAC is there. This is probably the solution I will wind up with. I need to tweak my hardware a little, (SSD and another gig of RAM) but I think it will be a nice looking match with my Kenwood equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 31
A continued experiment in progress, I installed a 750gb drive into the HP, as well as 4gig of RAM. A fresh load of Windows 7, and Media Monkey was downloaded. This works very well, with a few things different from JRiver. Autorip of CD does not appear to be supported, but it's a matter of inserting a CD, waiting about 20 seconds while MM accesses the CD database, and gets track info and artwork. It actually does this function very well, even finding a collection of Classical offerings, and obscure titles like an MCA classical sampler, and Eric Darken's "A Love Like Ours". Then a click of "rip CD to hard drive" and off it goes. FLAC files are made to a chosen directory.I still have the Win8/JRiver load and may decide to go there before it's over, but I'm very impressed with MediaMonkey so far. Very fluid, nice display.
I also downloaded Windows SyncToy, a neat little utility that allows individual folder backups on demand. I plugged a 1TB usb drive into the HP, and setup SyncToy to look at the MyMusic folder, and the contents of the backup drive, and push whatever was different to the backup. So far,so good: all the software is playing nicely together, and the platform is pretty quick. TightVNC is a very quick, down and dirty remote desktop app that outperforms MS built in remote desktop in every way. I downloaded it to my laptop, and the HP. It works flawlessly and remote control from my laptop works great. I'll try the Winbook at some point, but expect success there, and TightVNC has an Android app that should work with those tablets as well to remote into a windows box. So I'm only waiting on the final piece of the puzzle now. I ordered a Schiit Modi USBDAC. The website says they ship within a couple days after ordering, so late this week, early next before I can give that a go between the PC and the Kenwood.

The Modi showed up on Thursday. Very reasonable form California to Illinois IMO. It's a plug and play for up to 96khz files, Schiit has a driver for windows for 24/192 playback. Literally from box to operation was about 2 minutes including running an interconnect. Very nice sound, open and clear. Ripped CD's sound great, different than my Denon with it's Burr-Browns. Both are good in their own way, but the convenience of playing any part of my collection on demand from the couch wins hands down. I have zero complaints about a USA made product for the mere price of 99.00 that does what it says it will.

Another day, another 6 hours of throwing software onto a hard drive. I tried the Win 8 with EAC, and actually had some success with the combination. Win8, EAC, and Plex software could actually be a reasonable solution for many, IMO. On a whim, I downloaded JRiver's 30 day trial. As far as turnkey solutions, this has it on lock. Auto launch at boot and autorip when a CD is inserted makes it very possible to run this headless, with no monitor. Gizmo works transparently from a laptop or my WinBook as a control panel. With Windows as a backbone, USB support for external drives and USB DAC is there. This is probably the solution I will wind up with. I need to tweak my hardware a little, (SSD and another gig of RAM) but I think it will be a nice looking match with my Kenwood equipment.

Auto rip when you insert a cd? I've been looking for that option but couldn't find it. What menu is that in?

What did you not like or what did not work with Vortexbox? I am willing to try and help you out with it, I have been running it for about 3 years now and have built about 10 units in that time.

Back
Top Bottom