Basic newbie question

Bassfish

Hey all, newbie to the forum here. Just a basic question on my system. I have an old Sanyo G 2611KL, from the early 70s I think https://goo.gl/images/qw4JFt

I've been looking for a copy of the original manual but no luck so far. I was wondering would anyone have any idea what kind of internal amplifier this system has? I have a pair of Bose 203 speakers and I'm wondering should I invest in a separate amplifier straight away straight away.
Sorry if it's a dumb question thanks for any help.

Even though this looks like one of the better ones, these compact all-in-one systems rarely put out more than about 5-15 watts per channel. I'd first try them with your Bose speakers to see if it's enough. The amount of power required depends not only on the speakers but also the size of your listening room and how loud you like to listen. Adding an amplifier may be difficult; it's extremely unlikely that this system has preamp-level outputs. Looking at a picture of the rear, it only has a pair of speaker jacks and a DIN connector (whose function is unlabeled).

A better solution would be to purchase a receiver and just use the turntable on the Sanyo. This might require running a patch cord directly to the jacks on the underside of the turntable, assuming it has them (some did, some didn't); however, if you're lucky, that DIN connector is for connection of another tape deck, which would mean it has line level outputs (I wasn't able to find a closeup pic of the front panel to maybe figure that out). If the input selector on the front panel has an additional selection for TAPE 2, then the DIN is probably input and output; if it's AUX then it's probably only input and won't be of use.

The built-in tape deck is not very good quality and probably shouldn't be used (it's likely that the belts are stretched at this point anyway). The turntable looks like a BSR, and at least has a magnetic cartridge and a tonearm with an adjustable weight, so it's not all bad.

It looks like it is solid state, if that was your question. It should be fine with the Bose speakers. You'll have to elaborate on "separate amplifier." For the whole system, or for just the turntable or tape deck? Not sure what kind of output ports this thing has.

It's definitely solid state, I'd say it dates from the mid to late 70s, judging by the fact that it has a cassette deck.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm just waiting for cables and connectors to arrive via ebay and I'll hook the system up to the bose speakers and take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom