Basic questions about DACs

fahfisher500

I have read some of the threads in this forum and come to the conclusion that my ignorance in this area is profound. I have a Fisher 500c tube receiver with a Dual turntable for vinyl, Yamaha CD player and cassette deck and a Onkyo Iphone dock through which I play my Apple itunes on my iphone 6s. I am presuming that either the phone or the iphone dock is a DAC otherwise I would get no sound at all, what I am confused on is whether a different DAC would make a noticeable improvement in sound or not. It sounds pretty good to me now, but not quite as good as the vinyl (on most albums). I am not interested in playing computer files or other digital sources other than the phone. Thanks for all input

If you're looking for a DAC which sounds more akin to your vinyl, try something using a multibit DAC chip. Examples are TDA1543 and TDA1387.
In order to connect such a DAC to your iPhone you'll need some kind of lightning-> USB adapter. Apple's camera kit is one such.

You're correct that your downloaded music won't be lossless but this is of only minor concern.

After looking in the archives and doing some more research I decided to get a TEAC cd player (cdp650) with an usb input for the iphone, since I wanted to upgrade my CD player anyway (early 90's yamaha 5 disc carousel) which has been a little flaky lately and probably not worth repairing. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom