Basket Case JBL 4311, Public Opinion Appreciated

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by milo63, May 28, 2018.

1. milo63

milo63 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Bought for $80 and the only things that work AND are original are the woofers (and they're really pretty).

The mids are Speakerlab F508/PHILIPS AD 5061/M8 (thanks @borus!) and the tweeters were a Speakerlab DT110 and a dead original.

So, starting four drivers in the hole and some gapped seams (but decent wood) do I run toward the light or away from the light?

Edit: I could liberate a pair of 035tia tweeters from some L60Ts if that is a thing.

Here come the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. borus

borus Luthier tube guy Subscriber

So what's up with the crossovers(pics?) The 035tia could be great if the L60T are shot. The philips can cover the range that the JBL mids did it's all about the crossover at this point.

3. Chris Brown

Chris Brown AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree that the condition of the crossovers should probably determine where to go from here. Also, your preferences in audio should probably come into play. Would a pair of restored 4311 speakers provide the kind of sound that you enjoy? If not, even just the woofers and the cabinets themselves should probably bring in some decent money. I'm not a huge fan of paper-cone tweeters personally, but those are such classics, I would try to restore them anyway.

4. Katalyst

Katalyst AK Subscriber Subscriber

What did they sound like as found?

5. milo63

milo63 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Once I realized one tweeter wasn't working one tweeter was wrong and the mids were wrong I got discouraged and didn't listen long. I probably should have played a while.
    I'll dig into the crossovers once I catch up on current projects.

Thank you.

An aside: If you had a pair of JBL L5s within spitting distance would you be less likely to embark on this project?

6. Chris Brown

Chris Brown AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMO the L5 is a MUCH better speaker than the 4311, even fully restored, but will likely never have the vintage appeal or value that the 4311 does.

Zonker92 and milo63 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.