Battle of the Integrateds: AU-9500 and AU-717

john_w

Miscreant
Johny asked me to mention what I thought of the 717 once I got it, so I thought a comparison with the older Sansui I've been using for many, many years might be useful in general, to kind of hilight the difference between early and late 70's models. So, after staying up FAR TOO LATE moving cables and wires back and forth, flipping toggles, turning knobs, pushing buttons and just listening to things last night, I've at least formed a "general" opinion.

I'm also interested in what some of you guys that have seen and heard almost everything Sansui (such as Beatlefred, etc.) think about this review: Do you concur with this, or should I get my hearing checked?

System (simplified set-up for comparison purposes):
Speakers -- Phase Research Model R's

Source -- Pioneer combination Laserdisc player / CD Changer.
(I don't recall the model number -- rest assured it's NOT top-
end equipment for CD's, but it does a fair job.)

Performance: I'm going to list a few areas where I think the older 9500 excels beyond the 717, but before you think I'm declaring the 717 to be inferior, I have to say that it produced a much warmer, richer sound than the 9500, and that's really the bottom line. Acoustic guitars and orchestras sound VERY impressive on that amp! And it knows how to rock, too! :D The 9500 seems to put out more treble with tone controls defeated, and has just a slight tinny sound in comparison. I seem to get roughly the same treble output on the 717 with the tone control at +2 to +4 db (rolling off at 6 khz.) The 717 also seems to have a slightly smoother tonal quality.

Cosmetics: Style isn't quite as important to me as substance, but it runs a close second. The 717 does look nice; a lot like my brother's early-80's Yamaha.

But, the 9500 is one stylish amp, which is probably why it's portrait is on the sansui.us home page. I'm going to miss those silver chrome ringed knobs and the black-and-white front panel in my living room, but you have to make sacrifices somewhere.

Build: The 717 is well built, and superior to today's standards; solid steal knobs and a thick, steal face plate, with substantial heat sinks and filter caps. But, here again, the 9500 went a step further. While sides of the 717 chassis are thin metal that rattles when you rap on it, the 9500 is firm all the way around. And, while the 9500 does use plastic covers on the toggle switches vs. all metal on the 717, the buttons on the 717 are all plastic, and feel kind of loose and sloppy (at least, on this particular unit -- maybe that's due to age), although they do work perfectly well. The 9500 doesn't use buttons, but all controls are still firm after 28 to 30 yrs. (Well...the balance control is slightly loose, but not terribly -- yet.) As far as heft, the 9500 weighs 53 pounds (Phew!). The 717, 39 pounds, for a roughly equivalent power rating. Part of the weight difference is due to a couple of additional, antiquated features and more extensive tone controls on the 9500, and obviously entirely different "innards" (board brackets, major components, etc.) but I think it's mostly because they really went overboard on the 9500's heat sinks. You have to really work it to get any heat output thru the grate on that unit. The 717 got just a little warm, but never anywhere close to "hot".

Power: The actual continuous power on the 717 doesn't seem to be quite as high as the 9500, though I don't doubt that it's still under-rated in the specs. If I want to "rock out" at my usual max volume (just before the bleeding ear factor kicks in), I have to set the volume control near the "high noon" position on the 717, vs. "10 o'clock" for the 9500. I don't think the reserve power is quite as high on the 717 either; I definitely got less "punch" on some percussion instruments. However, the power issues could be partly false impressions due to differences in frequency response, THD, etc.

So, overall, I think the AU-717 is built well, but not quite as well as the 9500 - or other early sansuis I remember checking out many years ago. The 717 does sound better, though it could use more "punch" (so could I, for that matter. :drunk: ). I think it's incredible for acoustic music, classical and rock. I'd really only favor the 9500 for really tight, dynamic percussion. But then, +3 db on the treble would probably work fine for that!

When I first bid for the 717, I thought "well, OF COURSE it's going to be superior to my old amp! It's got a quarter of the distortion, it's newer, and everybody on Exclusively Sansui loves it!" As it turns out, I think the 717 edges out my old one by a close enough margin that personal taste could easily sway things the other way for somebody. But then, ain't that always the case?

So Beatlefred, Johny, Grumpy, etc...If you've read this far :eek:
what do you think? Is this accurate?

Hey man

I`d have to say (IMO) your observations are pretty darn good. Sound wise, I got almost the same feelings you had while comparing the 717 to my G9700. 200wpc vs 85wpc may not be a fair comparo tho- I found the 717 much warmer and also a bit (or more) less dynamic. Not to slight the 717 because overall I find it much more engaging and less tiring to listen to and thats why its now my main rig :)

I was planning on writing more about the 717 but I have to run fer now. Thanks for sharing your observations.

J

John- I'll try and get to your question tomorrow night, technically later tonight (Wednesday) as its well after midnight now (1:45 am). I just finished typing in the reply to the 717 vs 919 question (not to mention my previous emails and so forth- my plate is full as usual). If this were a Fri night- no prob- could stay up all night long, but being I have to arise early for Work in the morning, (and I dont particularly like to get up that early-as I do my best sleeping then:) its time for me to hit the sack.

B/F.

Hi John w,

Not owned either of these amps before, but I did have the AU7900 for a while and still have the AU919 and Au555a. I'd have to say that your observations are pretty much spot-on based on the experience with the gear I've tried. you didn't mention soundstage or imaging - something which I've found the later Sansui models are better at. The earlier models grab your attention very quickly and have what I would call a more dynamic sound which I believe is more or less what you are saying. They also sound "faster". However, over some time I found that to be a bit tiring and have come to the conclusion the later AU919, AU217 are more accurate.

I still like them all and wiil try to keep as many as I can! :)

cheers
Jack

My all "new" vintage AU-717

My kind thanks to you all in this thread, as you helped me make up my mind re the AU-717.

I just got one (pictured below) and although this purchase represents a huge step from my modest AU-222, the quality of the AU-717 is outstanding. My tapes sound (I don't know why), better than CDs and the sound is so comfortable that I can listen to it for hours without fatigue setting in. I wonder why I waited for so long (I got the AU-222 in 1977), before upgrading.

My717.jpg

MyAU717.jpg

Myau-717.jpg

Happy listening and -- again -- thank you for your insights re Sansui amplis. :music:

Wow, this is a blast from the past. From my young and pretentious days. Of course I'm STILL pretentious. Just a little more ornery. :)

Crete - That's a sweet looking unit, inside and out!

I'm not sure if I've heard the AU222. Many years ago I used a couple of lower-end Sansuis as loaners while the 9500 was in the shop, but I don't remember what they were. I was generally unimpressed by them, so I got the impression that in general, TOTL Sansuis are definitely worth the extra money. I must say that after adjusting the offset on the AU717 (See EchoWars' "amplifier distortion..." sticky) my AU717 sounds even better - really nice, and darn close to the AU919.

Happy listening!

- John

Thanks John,

I was too busy listening to music all these years in my modest AU-222, that only the coming of the internet revived my interest in high fidelity, which I had abandoned in the early eighties due to the awful quality and the price skyrocketing at a time when i was still in graduate school. Money was short and the AU-222 went everywhere w/me.

Now, that new amplis cater for CDs the AU-222 worked fine, until now.

I am going through every type of music from Soul to Punk and from JS Bach to Steve Reich.

The AU-717 sounds deep and serious. Not lightweight and cheerful as the AU-222. A proverbial "beast" with masses of power. I rarely crank the volume at 12:00 o'clock, as the crystal wear are in mortal cracking predicament.

Even John Peel from BBC 1 Radio sounds good, in recordings I made in Paris (France), over my 1980's Onkyo Receiver's AM station in my Luxman K-03 cassette deck, some 7 years ago.

Good to hear that you can tinker with the AU-717 and what a fun business that is :banana:

Best wishes,
Nikos

John,

I just had the offset adjusted on my AU-717 and it sounds better than ever :tresbon:

Thanks for the tip :thmbsp:

Best,
Nikos

Thanks for the nice and informative comparo...

I have always liked the AU-717 -- ever since college days when I had an AU-317... and the guy I was rooming with had the 717.

Fairly soon I will be set-up with 6 speakers (just need to wire it up)... running 2 pair of Large Advents (original walnut and NLA walnut) with the 717 plus one pair of Advents (oak 5012's) through a Phase Linear 300 Series II (120 WPC) via pre-out from the AU-717.

287849194_ikBRM-O.jpg

Yep. And the older stuff just keeps gettin' older. :) (Myself not withstanding.)

I haven't played with the 9500 in a while. I wonder if all the filter caps, transistors, solder joints, etc. are still hanging in there. :scratch2:

I have a Sansui AU-517 and the AU-9500 . To me the sound of the 9500 is slightly more dynamic and powerful for the wattage . However i do love the 517 equally . It has that tubey midrange that i always liked from my 3 watt diy tube amp which was no slouch and mostly superior to many famous SS amps .
Both these amps are beautiful sounding sansui products that are hard to beat for the price ...

Back
Top Bottom