Battlestar Galactica

IIRC, Cylons were created to be blown away, since people couldn't be shot during "family hour" (an oddity of the late 70s) programming.

IIRC, Cylons were created to be blown away, since people couldn't be shot during "family hour" (an oddity of the late 70s) programming.

I guess the creators of Starsky and Hutch never got that memo. It was voted the most violent show on TV, for the first two seasons.

Don't forget the Mormon influences...

I have to agree with the poster who liked the miniseries and the linked final sequence of episodes from the original series. While it was still 70s TV cheesy, at least it was pretty well done.

The new version still takes it out behind the woodshed, though.

You are probably right about the LDS element.

I think the new one is better too, yet I am uncomfortable saying it. "Reboots" don't have to do the work from the ground up. They are taking an idea that has already been formed and developed and embellishing it. Nothing wrong with that per se.

I don't see the original as cheesy so much as dated. Like the original Star Trek or Buck Rogers, its a conception of the future that reflects the styles and looks of the present or era in which it came about. In BG's instance, the late 70s.

I used to wear my hair like Starbuck and Apollo.:D

You are probably right about the LDS element.

It's pretty well-documented. Quite a bit of interesting reading out on the web.

I think the new one is better too, yet I am uncomfortable saying it. "Reboots" don't have to do the work from the ground up. They are taking an idea that has already been formed and developed and embellishing it. Nothing wrong with that per se.

This one went a bit further than the standard reboot. Moore and Eick not only did a lot of tinkering with the core story, they added a ton of new material - and now a completely different show set in the same universe.

It's pretty well-documented. Quite a bit of interesting reading out on the web.

This one went a bit further than the standard reboot. Moore and Eick not only did a lot of tinkering with the core story, they added a ton of new material - and now a completely different show set in the same universe.

Nonetheless, the foundation is the same- Humans fleeing from exterminators in a fleet protected by a huge warship, Lords of Kobol, etc.

Still, they did it right. The sets were outstanding. And I like how the characters are more flawed and thus real.:thmbsp:

not really knowledgeable on either series, but like them both and watch Caprica each friday night. I only regret not catching BSG when it originally aired.........

I was a huge fan of the original as a kid. It came out at the right time as I was coming off my Star wars high and needed a fix. It was pretty cheesy but was a product of its time. I always thought of it as Bonanza in space because of Lorne Greene. Always liked John Colicos as Baltar too. If you thought the original show was bad you haven't seen the abomination that was Galactica 1980.

The new BSG is a worthy reboot imo. Pretty dark show maybe a little too dark at times. Went places the original could never have gone at the time.

I was a huge fan of the original as a kid. It came out at the right time as I was coming off my Star wars high and needed a fix. It was pretty cheesy but was a product of its time. I always thought of it as Bonanza in space because of Lorne Greene. Always liked John Colicos as Baltar too. If you thought the original show was bad you haven't seen the abomination that was Galactica 1980.

The new BSG is a worthy reboot imo. Pretty dark show maybe a little too dark at times. Went places the original could never have gone at the time.

Agreed. Very dark. I have been watching the original lately. What strikes me (evidence of my boring life) now, as opposed to when I was 13, is despite the fact that Baltar is responsible for genocide, he is actually a very likable character to some degree. John Colicos played him well, but the way his lines are written, he come across as witty and smug, but not that evil. His exchanges with Lucifer are quite comical.

Here I come, six years late to an old thread. My wife and I finished watching the BSG reboot last night, after slogging through the original series + BSG 1980 + Caprica. I'm happy, sad, and overwhelmed. The end of it was like the ending scene of Satyricon. Fraking good science fiction!

Winding towards the end of the BluRay box set of the modern BSG -
Into Season 4.5 already - with just the final 3 episodes remaining!

And - we finished the Final Three last night -
Gods -
I could see plenty of good places for them to end during those episodes -
but no, they kept on ... and on ... and on ... and on!
But - still we persevered ... until the final fade to black.
In my mind, it does not bear a reviewing -
and Babylon 5 still surpasses it on ALL levels, and WILL be re-viewed.

The last season of BSG was my least favorite. Not because it ended, but it just got weird.

Back
Top Bottom