BB King Bluesfest

Andyman

Scroungus Stereophilus
Subscriber
I took the wife and kids to see BB King last night at an outdoor theatre here yesterday. It was quite a bill, as this was billed as the BB King Bluesfest w/ Dr. John, Shemika Copeland, Elvin Bishop, and the Muddy Waters Tribute band. Since we lost Brother Ray earlier this year, I decided that I needed to take the kids to see a classic American treasure (BB), before we lost him too.

Well it was quite a show, prolly 4 hours of music in all. I'm a big Elvin Bishop fan from back in the 70s, so he was my #2 act to see. The Muddy Waters tribute band opened with a 25 minute set of Muddy's classics, ending with "I got my Mojo Working". Overall, they were solid Chicago barroom blues, the kind I miss so bad here in Detroit.
Elvin was next and unfortunately, he only played about 25 minutes too; I think the MW band cut into his time as they were a late add on. Mostly his usual light country blues and rock, and not much of his harder chicago blues from his Pigboy Crabshaw days w/ Paul Butterfield.
Shemika Copeland was next and her band provided another solid workman like performance. Then it was Dr. John time and he had a solid set, although his Cajun flavored style was definitely a bit away from the rest of the bands. He did get the crowd up and dancing with "Right Place" though. Like we say, not bad, just different.

Then it was showtime. The last time I saw BB was back in the early 70s in a converted ballroom in Milwaukee (The Scene) and the formula was pretty much the same. The 7-8 piece band w/ horns came out and did a couple of numbers showcasing mini solos from almost all the members. These guys are a bunch of players and it showed; the music was obviously up a notch. Then BB came out. He's getting old (78) and can't move like he used to (he sits in a chair), but once he gets warmed up he still can play. And his voice still has that familar, warm sound to it. Initially, it seem his guitar was a bit distorted and he didn't play much, just short bursts, but after a few songs he got smoother. There's just something about the way he makes Lucille sound that's just so right; how can you not like it??
He did a bunch of his old classics and some new songs and played about an hour and a half overall, maybe less. At the end, there was no encore or jam session, but that was cool as the skies opened up and it was raining sideways a minute AFTER we got in the car.

So if you love the blues, or just good music, do yourself a favor and go see him. At the end of the show, he looked noticably tired, so I'm not sure how much longer he'll be out there. I'll tell you what, I waited 30 years to see him a second time, and I regret it.

Here's a link to the rest of his tour. It passes through quite a bit of the AK world, so you may want to do yourself a favor and check him out. I think you'll find it time very well spent :D

BB King August/September Dates

That really sounds like a great time Andy! He isn't going to play here though. I will definitely see him if and when he does. He's
70 or more now and this wonderful piece of Americana won't
be here forever.

Carl

BB isn't much of a riff man anymore, but he still plays great solos. How was Shemekia Copland live? If she is half as good as her late father live it would be a great show.

Saw him last summer here in Charleston in the new outdoor tennis stadium. The line up was "Mofro", "Galactic", "Jeff Beck"
and "B.B." on last. The smile never left my face the whole time.
:D :D :D :D :D

Dave

I saw this show a week ago last Friday here in Atlanta. Chastain is a great venue for such performers. Nice time despite the rain but it still can't touch the Delta Blues Festival just outside of Greenville, MS. Now THAT was a show to behold. Every year there would be a different "big name" arrive at about 11:00 PM, totally unannounced. One year it was Riley (ya'll call him B.B.), next year Bonnie Raitt, and even one year Stevie Ray Vaughn. Vendors selling food cooked on the spot in the middle of a soybean field.
I do miss those days....

Mission Accomplished!!

I'm sitting in the back yard tonight, watching the fire, having a chilly, and listening to Disc #3 of the 4 disc B. B. King box set I got from the library, when my 10 year old joins me (no beer for her!).
After a few minutes and some chit chat she says "Dad, is this B.B.King?" followed by "Is this "You bought me a car?? ("Why I Sing the Blues").

I'm so proud my little girl now knows B.B.King music!

I know you gotta be feeling really good bout now. Thats a really great kid ya got......wanna trade ?

Back
Top Bottom