BBQ Chicken

I thought my chicken was tough due to overcooking (in the original post above) - nope - it is a known issue: woody/white stripped chicken.
Just an update from earlier posts...

I no longer buy the bags of chicken breasts on sale at our local market, as those have had the "woody" pieces in there. Strangely, the chicken breast we've bought from our local Meijer stores have never had a woody piece in them that I can remember. For a supermarket, that surprises me. I usually buy a couple of family packs and freeze the pieces individually.

But the real treat around here are the Bell & Evans chicken pieces. I bought them once on sale (very expensive--they are normally $6.99/lb.!) and we couldn't believe how good those were!! Since then, I've purchased the bone-in breasts, as well as had their whole chickens cut up into pieces so I can roast them outside. They are always very juicy and flavorful. I stock up on those when they are on sale also. :)

Just an update from earlier posts...

I no longer buy the bags of chicken breasts on sale at our local market, as those have had the "woody" pieces in there. Strangely, the chicken breast we've bought from our local Meijer stores have never had a woody piece in them that I can remember. For a supermarket, that surprises me. I usually buy a couple of family packs and freeze the pieces individually.

But the real treat around here are the Bell & Evans chicken pieces. I bought them once on sale (very expensive--they are normally $6.99/lb.!) and we couldn't believe how good those were!! Since then, I've purchased the bone-in breasts, as well as had their whole chickens cut up into pieces so I can roast them outside. They are always very juicy and flavorful. I stock up on those when they are on sale also. :)
Nice. I've been buying the 3 sealed in bag each boneless breasts (organic - not that organic helps as they suffer as well) at Fry's - I've had great luck with them. They tend to be dark and uniform in color. I'll cook one - freeze the others and pull out as needed. So far very tender chicken - chicken that you can cut with your fork.

IMG_1330.JPG IMG_1332.JPG IMG_1334.JPG
I'm just trying to revive the chicken thread. I know that there are some chicken cooking mofo's out there. So let's post this shit. This was supper tonight. Just some good ole grilled BBQ chicken and garlic and herb roasted new taters and frozen corn with a half a stick of butter in it.

I did it!!!
Managed to cook chicken successfully. Took a swing at another batch and tweaked my method on my "new" ceramic grill.
Filled it up with good ol mesquite and nailed the temp to a steady 300° and let it cook for 15 minutes at a time before flipping them. That seemed to work pretty good. Still took longer than I expected 1 1/2. But maybe it was the amount I was cooking along with the diffuser and low temp.
Served up some cold potato slaw, beans, Salmon, veggies and warm fresh bread.
Perfect dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_20190803_181639986.jpg
    IMG_20190803_181639986.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 31
I did it!!!
Managed to cook chicken successfully. Took a swing at another batch and tweaked my method on my "new" ceramic grill.
Filled it up with good ol mesquite and nailed the temp to a steady 300° and let it cook for 15 minutes at a time before flipping them. That seemed to work pretty good. Still took longer than I expected 1 1/2. But maybe it was the amount I was cooking along with the diffuser and low temp.
Perfect dinner.

That looks very tasty! Congratulations on a successful cook. :thumbsup:

-Dave

I did it!!!
Perfect dinner.

Awesome, I'm on my way over, those look great.

I did it!!!
Perfect dinner.
Plus you did one thing most people don't do. You cooked enuf of them. I will commit a sin if there are enuf wings.

My first attempt at a beer can chicken on my trusty Weber kettle. Only I used a can of Sprite instead :)

20190817_194023-L.jpg

Anyone bbq in winter? I know it's not the typical type of day to cook.
BBQ season starts 12:00:01AM on January 1 and ends at midnight December 31. :D One of my coldest BBQ adventures was making beef tenderloin on the grill in the single digits out on my back deck. Unless we have a string of really wet weather, I usually fire it up at least once a week. I'll tell ya what--nothing is better in the dead of winter than burgers out on the grill. :thumbsup: I will even run the smoker if I'm feeling up to some pulled pork.

One buddy of mine insisted he BBQed only from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Sad.

We did chicken last night, legs for us and boneless skinless breast for my son, he doesn't like his on the bone, he's a moron lol. No pictures, but I do have some pics from the last batch of wings displayed here by my beautiful sweet lady.

Screenshot_20191124-233521.png

Just laid down two bills at the supermarket today for the Superbowl. Chicken is marinating, hot dogs in the fridge for the kids, 7 avacodos and other mixings for fresh guacamole ,and Lazzari charcoal.
Looking forward to it.
See you all at game time!

Back
Top Bottom