Beautiful Fisher 400 found local, but so far resisted

Quite a few of the later 400's had a champagne look to them, If it's not Nick-o-Teen. Nice grab Steve.

Only negative I have found so far is the power cord, it has two cuts in it and will need to be replaced.

Face plate cleaned up nicely, almost seemed like someone put wax on it that gave it a dull hazed look. I polished up the knob bright I had and installed it, now the whole unit looks great. I'm leaning towards a full electronic restoration on this unit, then it will be like owning a new one. :thumbsup:

20170425_133337.jpg

Quite a few of the later 400's had a champagne look to them, If it's not Nick-o-Teen. Nice grab Steve.
No sign of cigarette smoke on this one, I'll have to pull my other all original 400 out and compare the two in order to see which is the nicest. It would be nice if I could find a good Fisher power cord for this newest one.

Take the BEST Front panel and the best chassis and wed them. Then you have a pristine late model, and a lesser very clean late model.

I think the current seller is following a variant of the P.T. Barnum theorum........There's a sucker bidding every minute. But NOT ME! I get the 9 ft extension cords (brn) 16ga from Home Depot on Sale for $2.98. But if I'm going for historically accurate then I'll try and get a FISHER cord.

Did a temporary fix on the power cord, changed out the coupling caps, and added a CL-80 before powering up today. Everything seemed to work well except the output power was about 1/4 of what it should be. Main power tubes seemed to be running very cool at about 130 degrees on my laser thermometer, which is about half what I normally see. Next I will check voltages to see what's happening.

No sign of cigarette smoke on this one, I'll have to pull my other all original 400 out and compare the two in order to see which is the nicest. It would be nice if I could find a good Fisher power cord for this newest one.
There's a quote! "my other all original 400..." Only a few more Fishers and you'll be a collector Steve!

Although this receiver had all original tubes, three output tubes were very weak only being able to muster .17 V bias. After finding it a total struggle finding 7886 quads, I was able to acquire three NOS GE tubes. One original Fisher tube had a bias of .39 which worked with the new GE tube that had .35. I'd say this beauty is almost finished, I most certainly will remove the glass for cleaning and most likely install LED's.

Back
Top Bottom