Bed Bugs -- You Better Take Preventative Measures Now

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by pustelniakr, Oct 3, 2018.

1. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

Update:

This past Wednesday, we were officially declared bed bug free.We now begin a 3-month warranty period (bugs not gone or return? start over at no additional charge). I discovered my first bites about 3 months before finding my first bug, and, believe me, I did look for them. Then, I began to easily find more, so apparently they had hit a threshold where they began to spread. We began to formally deal with them at the end of September, so it has been about 14 weeks to get to this place. Total cost? Around $5K and counting (more rental unit time, more ziplock and space bags, changes in furniture, etc.).

Now, we begin to bring belongings (except those that went to the landfill) back in from the storage unit. This is best done during the warranty period, so re-introduction can be handled at no additional charge. The first to come back shall be my treasured music collection, which has been in those special plastic tubs, shown in my last post, with Nuvan strips for over 6 weeks. I now have 15 of those tubs, which should speed the treatment of our belongings. 5 tubs costs the same as one month of storage unit rental.

I have put my main audio rig back together, taking the time to correct a couple of things, to clean out long-accumulated dust, and improve power distribution and interconnect routing.

We still feel stressed, tending not to trust our being free, even though we have not been bitten, nor have we seen any indication of bug presence, and that for several weeks.

Inspections and treatments were at weekly intervals, until 2 consecutive weeks passed with no live evidence seen. One time, I found a living bug, albeit pretty much a zombie, which reset to weekly. 2 2-week intervals with no live evidence triggered a single 4-week interval, which just finished. This resulted in the start of the 3-month warranty period.

We will never be the same, and have significantly changed our behavior. You can bet that we will do whatever we need to do to prevent ever having to go through this again.

I remain available as a resource for whoever may have need of what I have learned during this experience...

Enjoy,
    Rich P

John James, ETLS and OnTheBlitz like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. OnTheBlitz

OnTheBlitz ->"Throw it again!" Subscriber

Rich,

Thank you so much for sharing this and with such detail. I've been following this since your very first post. I'm very happy to hear that things are looking much better now. :thumbsup:

Chris

pustelniakr likes this.
  3. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Nope, but I know several that are batshit crazy, and many no longer with us from cancer.

Round Up can cause cancer, please protect yourself and use that sparingly. After all, it always ends up in the water, and scientists are pretty certain that glyphosate is why the bees are having such a hard time.

To Rich, I am sorry for the hell these critters have put you through, and am glad to hear you're back in the clear, and got your tunes going again. Thank you for this most wonderful compilation of treatments and experience. May you remain free of these awful demons.

OnTheBlitz likes this.
  4. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

Amen.

Thanks,
    Rich P

5. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

+1 on hoping this is the last of their presence in y'all's lives.

pustelniakr likes this.
  6. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

So glad to hear all is good riddance my friend!

Rome

pustelniakr likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.