Beers not brewed where you thought...

Both of those add sugar that is fermentable making the flavor lighter while increasing alcohol content. :D Also, Corn adds compounds that increase mouth feel.

Rice as well. They are called Adjuncts. Cheapens the living sheit out of a beer.

I will boycott, a jesse Jackson job of all beers who have swapped countries till the day I die. Why?

Cause every beer that I've drank turned to ass without fail.

Canadiens got ahold of lots of them, and while they don't make bad beers per se, none are ever the same again.

I want a beer from the point of origin.

In current times, one is almost better off seeking out USA Micro-Brews. Was s big problem with Imports, how long did they take to get here before they turned to skunk?

I will boycott, a jesse Jackson job of all beers who have swapped countries till the day I die. Why?

Cause every beer that I've drank turned to ass without fail.

Canadiens got ahold of lots of them, and while they don't make bad beers per se, none are ever the same again.

I want a beer from the point of origin.

In current times, one is almost better off seeking out USA Micro-Brews. Was s big problem with Imports, how long did they take to get here before they turned to skunk?

Totally in agreement. Many really good imports have a slight skunk smell when you crack them open, but they still taste great.
Skunky taste is another story which I've only run across very rarely and only in Canadian and US brews, so far.

Rice as well. They are called Adjuncts. Cheapens the living sheit out of a beer.

As I mentioned earlier, corn and rice are typically more expensive than the common base malts. That they're used to cheapen the beer is a myth.

Common base malt in the qty I buy is $1.99/lb. Flaked corn and rice are $2.39-$2.49/lb.

I used to have a Friday afternoon gig running sound for Polka bands at the Miller brewery in Milwaukee. The Lowenbrau Dark out of the tap on the wall there was wonderful, the stuff in the bottles didn't come close to it. I also sold beer at one time and got to know more than I should have about the business. Huber did contract brewing for several companies and made a handful of varieties that were sold under well over 100 different labels. Dirt-cheap Huber Dark was sold in bottles with some very pricey names on them, at times a single bottle cost more than a whole case of Huber Dark did.

Yesterday I had some Alien which is brewed in New Mexico (Roswell, area 51, you get it). Leave it for the aliens.

Red Stripe is brewed in La Crosse, Wisconsin & Latrobe, Pennsylvania, Ya Mon!

I don't know how long is has been brewed in Wisconsin but that would explain a great deal. When I was in the Navy and stationed in Guantanamo Bay Naval Station in Cuba I used to drink Red Stripe beer from Jamaica, it was pretty darn good. It showed up in the local booze emporiums in Cheyenne so I bought a 6 pack. I was anticipating a return of memories but when I tasted it it did not taste anything like I remembered it, it was awful. It was all converted into "red beer" V8 juice and beer with celery salt, the only way to make it potable. :D

BobbyBluz said:
I used to have a Friday afternoon gig running sound for Polka bands at the Miller brewery in Milwaukee. The Lowenbrau Dark out of the tap on the wall there was wonderful, the stuff in the bottles didn't come close to it. I also sold beer at one time and got to know more than I should have about the business. Huber did contract brewing for several companies and made a handful of varieties that were sold under well over 100 different labels. Dirt-cheap Huber Dark was sold in bottles with some very pricey names on them, at times a single bottle cost more than a whole case of Huber Dark did.
All the beers coming outta the taps @ Plank Rd. taste waaayyy better than their bottle/can/barrel versions,the difference absolutely amazes me everytime I've taken my ATX friends on the tour there.

I've even had the Miller lite on tap there a time or two and that actually was'nt half bad,and normally I cant stand even a sip or two of Miller Lite out of a can/bottle/tap.

For the tour groups they hand out chips for each variety they are serving that day,and that usually means someone has an extra chip or two,so often the Lite beer chips are the ones that are most often left over,so they get passed on to whomever is willing to use them.

I dont know what they actually got coming outta those taps on Plank Rd.,but it's almost always far better than anything they have in the stores.

One of life's unexplained mysteries ?

Bret P.

One of life's unexplained mysteries ?

Bret P.

Might be simply that it's fresh and coming out of a properly-maintained tap setup.

There's a pub in town here that has funny-tasting tap beer ever since they opened. Not sure what is up with their system (they claim they clean regularly, have replaced the lines, etc.etc.) but I don't drink any tap there regardless what it is. :no:

whoaru99 said:
Might be simply that it's fresh and coming out of a properly-maintained tap setup.
I was being mildly sarcastic with that last comment,but yeah that's precisely what I chocked it up to as well.

Might also be why most brew-pub beer tends to taste great as well.

There are/were a couple of those down in ATX that always seemed to please.

FWIW

Bret P.

There's a pub in town here that has funny-tasting tap beer ever since they opened. Not sure what is up with their system (they claim they clean regularly, have replaced the lines, etc.etc.) but I don't drink any tap there regardless what it is. :no:

Yep I agree. Most places have filthy taps, subpar glassware cleaning systems (3 sinks, with proper cleaner, and filtered water), and improperly setup CO2/nitrogen systems. As an example; next time you're out having a draft and your glass is half empty (or full, lol) see if there's lacing (beer sud rings) on the sides of the glass. That's a sign the glasses are cleaned properly.

Last edited:
"Hi neighbor, have a 'gansett!" If not already posted, Narragansett Beer was by far the best selling draft and bottled beer in RI for decades. Brewed in Cranston (Prov) RI. The building was torn down some years ago but the name got picked up again a few (or more) years later and now brewed in NY I believe. Out new governor claims she brought back Narragansett to RI but not true - only the business end of the beer may have been....

Close friend of mine's dad worked at the brewery as a tin knocker and as a teen of just about drinking age I was amazed that the skilled trades that kept the brewery going were allowed to "sample the brew" on the job! Who wouldn't want that job!

I don't know how long is has been brewed in Wisconsin but that would explain a great deal. When I was in the Navy and stationed in Guantanamo Bay Naval Station in Cuba I used to drink Red Stripe beer from Jamaica, it was pretty darn good. It showed up in the local booze emporiums in Cheyenne so I bought a 6 pack. I was anticipating a return of memories but when I tasted it it did not taste anything like I remembered it, it was awful. It was all converted into "red beer" V8 juice and beer with celery salt, the only way to make it potable. :D

I'm a Red Stripe drinker. They moved production here for the US in 2012. They were busted a several years back for importing reefer in with their beer from Jamaica.
I think that had a little something to do with them moving production here.

Just picked up a 6 of Harp Premium IMPORTED Lager. Brewed with pride from the makers of Guiness.
That's FROM not BY the makers of Guiness. No lie, it is actually imported though...from New Brunswick, Canada.
My wife commented that the bottle looks like Labatts. I said yeah, tastes like it too with maybe a shot of Guiness tossed in.

Just picked up a 6 of Harp Premium IMPORTED Lager. Brewed with pride from the makers of Guiness.
That's FROM not BY the makers of Guiness. No lie, it is actually imported though...from New Brunswick, Canada.
My wife commented that the bottle looks like Labatts. I said yeah, tastes like it too with maybe a shot of Guiness tossed in.

I'm quite sure it's brewed at the Moosehead brewery in St. John, New Brunswick.

I actually like and prefer Moosehead over this one.
:idea:It makes you wonder if they brew a Harp in the states to sell as an import for the Canadian market?:confused:

:idea:It makes you wonder if they brew a Harp in the states to sell as an import for the Canadian market?:confused:
I agree. I spend a couple weeks in Ireland last year and really didn't much care for any of their beers other than Guinness or Murphy's Stout. Pretty much everything else (e.g., Harp, Smithwick) was forgettable.

Bought a Foster's a couple years ago (I buy them once in a blue moon as a novelty), and it is now brewed by Molson Breweries here in Canada for the Canadian market. Tons of stuff is brewed outside a given beer's original country or region now. You can thank mergers, conglomerations, and internationalization for that. :/

They probably brew here to save transport costs, secondarily less chance for old and or mishandled beer.

There really isn't much reason why a commercial beer couldn't be successfully reproduced just about anywhere. The biggest issue to deal with is probably getting the water profile correct.

As a home brewer, I can get grains and hops and specific yeast strains and pretty well control mash and fermentation temps. But, if I want to brew a good pilsner I have to "make" water. Using the exceptionally hard tap water here does not a good pilsner make.

Back
Top Bottom