Beers not brewed where you thought...

Sam Adams does have a brewery in Boston but it only supplies the greater Boston Area. I have visited the Alchemist brewery but they won't let you do that anymore because it it created a traffic jam. FYI- the new brewery is purportedly for other offerings and not Heady. I drive up a couple times a year to grab a case and I'm due to make a run. If you're in Vermont make a point to hit Worthy Burger in South Royalton just off I-89 the have great food and an impressive beer list. There are brewery trails in both Vermont and NH with 30+ in each state. Keep an eye out for offerings from Lord Hobo, another brewer from around Boston they are quite good.

Beer loving AK members visiting the San Diego area they are in for a treat. If you like big hoppy beers then there are plenty but in the last few years the local craft breweries are branching out with great Belgians, lagers, stouts, porters, and reds. Aging in bourbon barrels is common. My recommended breweries are: Alpine (now part of the Green Flash family but still brewing unique beers), Ballast Point, Stone, Modern Times, Hess, and Pizza Port. The variety is almost endless and delicious.

Beer loving AK members visiting the San Diego area they are in for a treat. If you like big hoppy beers then there are plenty but in the last few years the local craft breweries are branching out with great Belgians, lagers, stouts, porters, and reds. Aging in bourbon barrels is common. My recommended breweries are: Alpine (now part of the Green Flash family but still brewing unique beers), Ballast Point, Stone, Modern Times, Hess, and Pizza Port. The variety is almost endless and delicious.

Stone brewery is my personal favorite, followed by Sierra Nevada. Last time I was in San Diego I had the family in tow, but the next time I'm there I'm visiting Stone in Escondido. If you haven't seen Beer Wars, its worth watching.

Did just this in late 2014. Had some great hoppy beers from San Diego. My favorite was one of the Green Flash's but the supply or distribution was limited to a couple of places downtown.

North Carolina has sharply escalated the number of brewers in the last 5-8 years. For a while, I saw mostly IPAs but the last year has produced a lot of "hoppy" beers.
I couldn't be hoppyier :)
Foothills Brewery in Winston-Salem has some excellent beers, including Hoppyum. They are now widely available in NC and SC.

Roger

Well, all of this is a good reason to just drink German beer, preferably Bavarian beer, and more specificly Bavarian beer brewed in Munich. :) Heh heh, I see Lowenbrau mentioned a few times. Löwenbräu is considered a cheap beer here, don't know anybody that drinks it, gives me a headache. Just stick with Augustiner. You won't be disappointed, and those purity laws work quite well, no odd ingredients or preservatives added. http://www.augustiner-braeu.de/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustiner-Bräu
And Hacker-Pschorr is always good. Yum yum. https://www.hacker-pschorr.de/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker-Pschorr_Brewery

In fact, I love that purity law. It keeps all of that false advertising and bullshit being discussed from happening. Finbow, IIRC you know what I'm talking about. Lately I've been drinking a lot of Tegernseer Leicht. Only has half of the alcohol and is perfect for when I just want something that tastes great but want to keep from getting hammered. http://www.tegernseer-tal8.com/welcome/
And lets not forget Klosterbrauerei Andechs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klosterbrauerei_Andechs
These last 2 aren't brewed here in the city but that can be forgiven after the first sip.

OK. I've given you all enough info to get started. So get busy... :beerchug:;) (no afilliation with the above other than being a fan)

Cheers,
James

Just stick with Augustiner. You won't be disappointed, and those purity laws work quite well, no odd ingredients or preservatives added. http://www.augustiner-braeu.de/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustiner-Bräu

And lets not forget Klosterbrauerei Andechs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klosterbrauerei_Andechs
These last 2 aren't brewed here in the city but that can be forgiven after the first sip.

Augustiner is also my favorite Munich beer (for Helles or Maerzen). For Hefeweissbier, I'll take Erdinger and for Dunkelweiss, gimme Schneider. As for Andechs, we used to take our office summer outing there. Great place. I was just there again last September. That said, I don't drink German beer much on this side of the pond. It loses something in the translation. Nothing is finer, however, than a liter of Augustiner at the Augustinerkellergarten or Hirschgarten in Munich.

I do wish, however, that they brewed and served a good Pilsener down in southern Bavaria. For Pilseners, I prefer those brewed in central Germany (Licher, DAB, Dortmunder Union, Koenig Pils, Bitburger...)

Last edited:
Full agreement about a Pils. I do like a Warsteiner from time to time. But for a Weißebier I'll stick with Hacker-Pschorr or as you say, a Schneider, but not a big fan of dunkel in general. :)

When you are going to be in town again I'd be happy to put a few beers on the table. Got tunes too!

Cheers,
James

Ayinger Celebrator :bowdown:

I'm not sure how Ayinger Bier is now viewed in southern Bavaria, though it seems highly prized among beer drinkers in the US. When I lived in Germany (78-86), I used to drive through Aying frequently on the way to various jobsites in southern Bavaria. At that time, it was considered a low grade, inexpensive, beer, kind of like Bush, Milwaukee's Best or PBR here. It seems they have turned things around in recent years and have an active fan base.

As for Celebrator (or any other Bavarian Doppelbock (which always end in "ator" to mark the style in commemoration of the first Doppelbock, Paulaner Salvator)), I have mixed feelings about the style. For normal drinking, it's too strong and sweet for my tastes. OTOH, in Munich in March (Starkbierzeit), it tastes just right. If you're a fan of the style and want something local, cheaper, fresher and pretty much as good, try Troegenator from Troeg's in Hershey, PA. It is an excellent representation of the style.

Last edited:
Slight thread veer...but many probably don't know that Kikkoman soy sauce is brewed in Wisconsin. Kinda makes sense in a way:)

I'm not sure how Ayinger Bier is now viewed in southern Bavaria, though it seems highly prized among beer drinkers in the US. When I lived in Germany (78-86), I used to drive through Aying frequently on the way to various jobsites in southern Bavaria. At that time, it was considered a low grade, inexpensive, beer, kind of like Bush, Milwaukee's Best or PBR here. It seems they have turned things around in recent years and have an active fan base.

As for Celebrator (or any other Bavarian Doppelbock (which always end in "ator" to mark the style in commemoration of the first Doppelbock, Paulaner Salvator)), I have mixed feelings about the style. For normal drinking, it's too strong and sweet for my tastes. OTOH, in Munich in March (Starkbierzeit), it tastes just right. If you're a fan of the style and want something local, cheaper, fresher and pretty much as good, try Troegenator from Troeg's in Hershey, PA. It is an excellent representation of the style.

Well, one good thing that I can say about Ayinger is that it is brewed where they say it is. But it still doesn't have much of a rep here. But when talking about beer brewed around here one is really deciding about various stages of perfection. So while I wouldn't go out of my way to buy an Ayinger here, it's not at all a bad beer, it's just that there are so many other at hand that I much prefer. But If I was in the States and had a choice between an Ayinger and any mass produced beer, well there really wouldn't be any need to ponder over the choice. But in general I'm not a fan of Dunkel or Bock beer, usually too sweet for my taste, and I like to enjoy some good beer all evening so don't really want something that strong. Heck, I'd probably drink a lot more alcohol-free beer except that I've never met one that didn't taste like piss.

Cheers,
James

I spent a year in Argentina and Heineken was pretty big there, and really cheap. I thought that was odd, until someone explained to me that a domestic brewer was in charge of making it. Made sense then. I don't particularly care for that beer, but I never thought it tasted quite like the stuff in the states (which may be very different from the European version!).

There was a change in distribution a while back, and Heineken is now imported again from Germany I believe. I used to drink it on Cruises all the time to get the real deal, but then things changed when they started and still produce it in Trinidad for sale in that part of the world.
Regards,
Jim

I've tried most of them Spaten, Paulaner, etc., etc. and prefer Celebrator. By a wide margin, actually. I like the maltiness and the dark fruit flavors in Celebrator I don't pick up as much as from the others.

As far as heavy and strong, yeah, I agree it's not a session beer. Normally I have one or two, maybe three.

Dunno that I've ever seen the Troegenator, I'll look specifically next time I'm at the big beer store. I have tried other domestic/micro/macro brew varieties but will take the Celebrator any day for my palate...so far anyway.

I want to brew a Celebrator clone but to do it right requires decoction mashing and not sure I want to go through that much work then wait 6-9 months to see if I got it right. :)

So whats the deal, someone bought Rolling Rock and moved it out of Latrobe and started brewing it in a Bud brewery in NJ. Now someone else has bought the brewery in Latrobe and they're brewing some other beer in the glass vats. What the Hell?

I looked at some Rolling Rock at the store this afternoon. It still has the quote about glass lined vats on the label, what BS:thumbsdown:

I looked at some Rolling Rock at the store this afternoon. It still has the quote about glass lined vats on the label, what BS:thumbsdown:
I picked some up for the weekend, might be my last time. I used to like it, not so much now.
I wonder if good Old Latrobe could file a lawsuit for misuse of the name, and the huge lie printed on the can.
Anheuser Busch has become the Disney of the brewing industry. Getting their greedy little hands on everything they can.
Was there really a good reason for moving the brewery to another state? Stupid question as I'm sure it had to do with $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Back
Top Bottom