Before and after - installation of a new MX121 (and comparison to C2300 + D100)

leftside

AK Member
Took the opportunity of a day off to install a new MX121. Very impressed with the audio quality for movies. I really don't need the latest and greatest Atmos, etc, as there is no way the wife is going to allow more than 5 speakers in the living room.

Easy to setup, but I've programmed a number of different processors over the years, and it gets easier each time.

The sound quality is good for audio files, but unfortunately it's not as good as the C2300 + D100 combo (I say "unfortunately" as I was hoping to sell them!). The C2300 + D100 just seems more alive and dynamic. If I'd never heard the C2300 + D100 I'd probably be pretty happy with just the MX121.

Here's a "before" pic and a few "after" pics. Now I just have to reprogram the Harmony remote...

Before.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender[1].jpg FullSizeRender[2].jpg FullSizeRender[3].jpg

Next to install is a MC205 to replace the MC7108 (and also possibly the MC7270), but I'm currently waiting for a replacement glass.

Took the opportunity of a day off to install a new MX121. Very impressed with the audio quality for movies. I really don't need the latest and greatest Atmos, etc, as there is no way the wife is going to allow more than 5 speakers in the living room.

Easy to setup, but I've programmed a number of different processors over the years, and it gets easier each time.

The sound quality is good for audio files, but unfortunately it's not as good as the C2300 + D100 combo (I say "unfortunately" as I was hoping to sell them!). The C2300 + D100 just seems more alive and dynamic. If I'd never heard the C2300 + D100 I'd probably be pretty happy with just the MX121.

Here's a "before" pic and a few "after" pics. Now I just have to reprogram the Harmony remote...

View attachment 909831 View attachment 909832 View attachment 909833 View attachment 909834 View attachment 909835

Next to install is a MC205 to replace the MC7108 (and also possibly the MC7270), but I'm currently waiting for a replacement glass.
Does C2300 have a HT pass through mode? Seems that would be a good 2 channel solution if possible.

What speakers are your two channel? B&W?

Last edited:
Yes the C2300 has the Passthru mode. B&W 804S are the L&R speakers. C is Totem Model 1 Sig. It will do for now :)

Took the opportunity of a day off to install a new MX121. . .

The sound quality is good for audio files, but unfortunately it's not as good as the C2300 + D100 combo (I say "unfortunately" as I was hoping to sell them!). The C2300 + D100 just seems more alive and dynamic. If I'd never heard the C2300 + D100 I'd probably be pretty happy with just the MX121. . .

You might try the D100 into one of the MX121 balanced line inputs with the MX121 in "Pure Direct" mode.

Yes the C2300 has the Passthru mode. B&W 804S are the L&R speakers. C is Totem Model 1 Sig. It will do for now :)
are you running 7.1 mode? I would be bridging some 7108 channels. They work well bidged for more dynamics. What other speakers are you running?

are you running 7.1 mode? I would be bridging some 7108 channels. They work well bidged for more dynamics. What oter speakers are you running?
5.1. No way would the wife allow two more speakers in the living room. I am bridging center, surround right and surround left speakers (using 6 of the 7108 channels, with 2 not being used). The surround speakers are Totem's.

Yeah, why not eliminate the MC7270 in the downstairs system via the MC205? That frees it up for mono blocks in the upstairs system.

Back
Top Bottom