Bell Sound Systems Model 2122

Dswankey

Lunatic Member
I picked up this little nugget, along with a Jensen Coaxial (model 220012?) today while out running errands. The seller turned out to be an interesting character. He used to be a paramedic for the Grateful Dead and would go out on tour with them back in the early to mid 70's. He shared a few interesting stories about some of the things he had to attend to with regards to members of the band, crew and some of the hangers on backstage.

Back to the amp, I know little to nothing about it other then it's a mono amp and was looking for any insight, suggestions etc. If you can't tell this unit is super clean I believe it had been in a cabinet most of it's life.

DSCN0308.jpeg

DSCN0309.jpeg

DSCN0307.jpeg

Attachments

• DSCN0307.JPG
    DSCN0307.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0307.jpeg
    DSCN0307.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0308.jpeg
    DSCN0308.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 5
I think one of the Grommes little jewel amps I have seen is like this one. Two 6V6's in push/pull are good for about 10-12 watts but that's all I can tell you about this amp. :lurk:

Of course the output transformer is underneath, right?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I don't know much about Grommes either now I can do a little more research.

I'm going to drop this off at the shop on Tuesday here's hoping it's functional and doesn't need much work.

I have a pair of these that I use for my bedroom system - serial numbers 41068 and 41911, from 1949. Use them with a Rotel RTC-850 AM/FM Tuner/Preamp, a Dual 510 turntable and Klipsch KG 5.2 speakers. I have been running this setup for several years now and have no reason or desire to change it. I rebuilt the amps and haven't had any trouble with them at all. Solid as a rock with a nice sound to them. Plenty of power to drive the KGs. Few pics of before and after below. Nice grab and I hope you get to enjoy it!

Bell 2122 Amplifier Before - 1.JPG Bell 2122 Amplifier Before - 3.JPG Bell 2122 Amplifier Before - 6.JPG Bell 2122 Amplifier After - AK - 1.jpg Bell 2122 Amplifier After - AK - 2.jpg Bell 2122 Amplifier After - AK - 3.jpg

^ they cleaned up nicely, good job.

What does "xtal", as seen in picture 2, stand for? what is it's purpose?

That is a super cool amplifier is what looks to be great condition. Nice find. :thumbsup:

I have the later version 2122-B, a great sounding little amplifier.

I've got a pair, too. One was my dad's original 'system', complete with the Jensen speaker mentioned by the OP. No longer have the speaker, but kept the amp. A few years ago I sourced another, and will be going thru both of them over the winter. Dad's is original/clean, and worked well when I last fired it up 15 years ago. New one was recently re-done by previous owner (who runs a service co.) and is clean and original except for the bottom plate. I have a Sams on it if it would help out...

I'll pair them with some period-correct Bell speakers, and feed with a period-correct Bell RTR, just to round out the setup. Bell is a hometown mfg. from back in the day.

Chip

I probably have it if someone doesn't have it scanned already. Can get for you on Monday. PM me an email address.

I have pairs of 2200b and 2199b Bell amps. I've already rebuilt the 2200's. The Bell's are neat looking amps but not too fun to rebuild as they are a bit of a rat's nest.
Have fun with them,
John

Courtesy of the effervescent Kamakiri over on Videokarma.org,
who dug thru two vanloads of boxes to find it.

101_0411.jpg
1small.jpg
2small.jpg

3small.jpg
4.JPG
Chip

Last edited:
Regarding the Jensen. There should be other numbers on the rim of the coax.
The 220012 breaks down thusly:
220 is Jensen's EIA code (manufacturers code)
012 is the year and week it was made. It could be 1950 week 12 (last week of March or 1st week of April) or 1960. Depends on the other numbers. Can you take some pictures of the speaker? Cone diameter (12" or 15"), any numbers on the rim, and the magnet housing on the back center.

Any of those stories have to do with injections of Procaine Penicillian or Wycillian about 3 days after a "social connection" with a less than clean groupie???

Chip your links kick over to an error page "requested page/file can't be found".

Re-uploaded. Files are below limit, but when I look at them here, they're not crisp enough to use, even though the local (to me) version is great. Hmm...
When downloaded back to me, they're also bad.

Chip

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom