Belt vs. Idler vs. Direct Drive

Never used an idler but I've had belts :)D ) since about always - 2x TD-160, 2x 165, still have a 147 - and recently switched to a monster DD: Sony TTS-8000 - the 147 is gathering dust now and is going to keep doing so until about forever.

I'm sure a DD like the Kenwood L-07D would put to shame many DDs (if not all) and a TD-520 would put to shame many lighter 'belts (if not all). And I'm positive my super-duper-TOTL monster Sony does put to shame the mid or low Thorens I've had...
...depends on the price you put in I guess.

Then enters "taste" and "preferences" between imperfections and that is "to each his/her own" :)

What horrible prejudice. What is wrong with idler drive? If it were so bad, then why all the sudden interest in the better Lenco and Dual idler units? Maybe they sound best?
I know, it is just simple jealousy. Belt and D.D. don't even come close.

Seth
Forever Analog

There really isn't a better or best consistantly. there are great units in both, and in all comparative price ranges.
I like all of them. I prefer direct drive if I had to choose one. They just seem meatier to me. I've had Marantz 6300, 6370Q, and my Denon DP-1250. they just have a heft to the sound that I like.
As for belts? I've had an AR-XA, H/K T-35-which was wonderful, crap, I've had a bunch I can't remember. When I think of their sound, it is delicate. Which isn't bad, just not my cuppa tea.
I've had 2 Dual's 1225? 10" platter? And my current 1229. The 1229 is very good, no rumble I can hear, maybe a bit of trouble keeping wow down, not sure, I haven't serviced it and it was in a garage for years before I adopted it. But it is the one I've been listening to the most lately since it is the most convienient.

I suppose the best may be a mix of all three. My Thorens TD-124 has a big-assed motor like a DD motor, which turns a little pulley that turns a small belt, which in turn turns an idler wheel. And as for sound, well, ya just gotta hear it to know :yes:

Yeah - the 124 is a little big Frankentein of sorts... or the Frankeinstein of turntables?

The amount of rumble that you hear depends on your amp, speakers, ears, quality of turntable, cartridge/arm interaction, arm resonance frequency and amptitude, etc..

Seth
Forever Analog

Back
Top Bottom