Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite

Charie Mussellwhite is a blues harmonica player with a great reputation and a long career.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Musselwhite

Ben Harper is a blues rocker who has been around since the mid 90's and has a pretty eclectic discography. He is particularly known for his lap steel playing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Harper

Musellwhite and Harper as partners is an idea that made so much sense that the latest release is their second collaboration in the past five years.

I'd go see them in concert given the opportunity.

Go see them I don't know Ben Harper but Charlie Musselwhite is one of the best harmonica players around. If Ben is playing with Charlie then he's probably going to be pretty good . I will be looking out for them around here.

Ben Harper is definitely someone to keep an eye on. I have been following him since the beginning of his career. One of the best slide guitar players playing today.

I have seen them live at Jazzfest in NOLA a few years ago on their first project together. I'd like to see the show again.

Musselwhite is a legend.

I've seen him at a couple of blues festivals held at a small outdoor facility, and he was great both times. I actually have a partial show FM recording of one of them. Cool stuff.
He's such a pro, and that type of setup just suit him perfectly.

Not too up on Harper, or their stuff together, but what I've heard I've enjoyed. I should probably look into it a little more.

Last edited:
Ben I like, both personally and as a musician. Charlie is do (did?) not like, both personally and as a musician. And yes I know both of them, one as a mid-late teen @ Chicago, the other as o 40-something in Claremont, CA.

As for their musical collaboration, I cannot imagine CM complementing the sound and songcraft of BH to anything but ill effect. Just my two kopecks.

Musselwhite is a legend.

I've seen him at a couple of blues festivals held at a small outdoor facility, and he was great both times. I actually have a partial show FM recording of one of them. Cool stuff.
He's such a pro, and that type of setup just suit him perfectly.

Not too up on Harper, or their stuff together, but what I've heard I've enjoyed. I should probably look into it a little more.

+ @botrytis

It's not his playin' so much I dislike, but rather the individual & his personality. 'Course this is based on memories that are 40+ years old.

I know what you're saying (I guess), but there really isn't anyone today that can match CM's harp tone. He is an outstanding blues harp player.

GJ
I'd put Paul Oscher up there.
More straight up Chicago(with a smidge of New York street huslter, heh heh) compared to CM's more 'worldly' leanings at times(for lack of a better term), though. If that makes any sense.

Back
Top Bottom