Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifier

RichPA
Which DAC and or preamp and speaker are you using. Just curious!

Benchmark DAC2HGC, Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp, Newform Research R645v3 speakers. I use the pre because I also use a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 after the DAC, and it's not really up to driving two long sets of cables to the amp and the Hsu ULS-15 sub.

I'm appreciating this amp more and more as I listen longer.

Rich - So I guess the STP-SE is a good match for the AHB2? I'm starting to consider preamps…

I read somewhere that the STP makes a clicking noise now and then when changing volume; have you experienced this? Seems like it would be kind of irritating.

I'm not Rich, but I have owned an STP-SE for about three years and have used it successfully with over a half dozen different amps. That includes tubes, SS and Class D amps. It provides a neutral palate to hear the rest of the equipment in the chain. The click only occurs in a couple of positions in the range and to me is only noticeable if you are listening for it. I use it most in the rare Winter months in Florida with tube amps and then when I want to evaluate the sound of a new amp. Not a piece of gear I would consider selling any time soon. I can direct you to a mint used one being sold by a member of another forum in the MD. Eastern Shore area if you decide to go in that direction.

Jack

I do hear a mechanical click (not through the speakers) sometimes when changing volume. It doesn't bother me, though it would if it were something coming through the system. I agree with Jack that it is a very neutral, clean preamp, and I think I'll be using it for a long time to come. And yes, it's a good combination with the Benchmark.

To agree with RickPA and then some, just the preamp function on the BM2 is outstanding. It out shines a lot if not most of my vintage preamps. The click of the speaker relay when I turn on my amp is music to my ears, like the universe is working as it should. So the BM2 clicks don't bother me one bit, now the LED lights are a tad bit bright but most modern products use them. The unit also runs a tad bit warm too. It's 82F in my room and the unit is 104F so I'd make sure it's well vented.

RichPA are you using the exotic (to me) speaker connections and or the XLR inputs?

I wanted to pipe in that I want this amplifier very badly...just wish there was a 300W version....that I could afford even less to purchase.

if anyone in or around Toronto has one, i'd love to hear it.

RichPA are you using the exotic (to me) speaker connections and or the XLR inputs?

I'm using standard binding post speaker outputs (with Analysis Plus banana plugs), but I am using the XLR inputs. I've run my main system all balanced/XLR for about 10 years now, with a variety of gear. Much better than even the fancy RCAs I've used, IMO.

I've had the AHB2 for about 3 months now, paired with the DAC2 HGC. It's an awesome combo. Smooth, ultra quiet, powerful and LIGHT. I'm using Benchmark's Speakon to banana speaker cables and their balanced cables as well. I can't imagine moving to another amp. I've had about every .5 series Pass amp and integrated at one point in the past, Luxman integrateds, Red Dragon class D's, Bel Canto's, and my last amp, a McIntosh 6700. I really am enamored with this amp.

Received mine Tuesday evening (6/21). I like what I'm hearing, but the amp has shut down about six times, and always when I'm out of the room, so I haven't seen the flashing-light code. I'm going to contact Benchmark soon.

I suspect that with the heat and high electricity demand the power is dipping to a point where the amp goes into protection and powers down, although this has never happened with my Gato integrated.

(But something similar happened with a Wyred mINT… the right channel would sometimes drop out. When I sent it back to W4S, they determined that power dips were the cause. They were able to make adjustments, however, and the problem hasn't reoccured.)

Anyone else had unexpected shutdowns? If the AHB2 is that sensitive to voltage, I may have to consider something else.

The only shutdowns I've had are the programmed ones - it shuts down after 45 minutes with no signal. If yours is shutting down sooner, it could be just a problem with the sensor circuit. But I'm sure Benchmark will make it right for you. I do kind of wish it didn't do that, but eventually I'll train myself to immediately turn it on when I enter the room.

The only time today so far may have been the 45 minute thing. But all the other times music was playing.

It's not a heat issue as there's plenty of room / air around the amp. I'd like to see it happen, and take note of the indicator lights, which would be helpful when I contact Benchmark.

Please add me to the list of ridiculously happy Benchmark AHB2 owners. I was using mine with a Gieseler Audio Klein preamp but will be using it now with a Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM preamp w/CBS Hytron 5692 tubes (this preamp arrives next week). I'm also using the Benchmark RCA to XLR cables and am very satisfied with their build quality.

The speakers I'm using are a DIY design by Paul Carmody called "Carrera". It's a lovely amp and by far the best I have personally ever heard. And for those who think they need more power. These can be bridged to run as monoblocks. Always a plus if you are a habitual speaker tweaker like myself.

These very rarely come up on the used market and I was lucky enough to snag mine for a good price because the lister had misspelled Benchmark in the title. I jumped as soon as I saw it.

You guys, do the 30day demo, it's a marvelous amp and you NEED to hear this to believe it. Your ears will thank you.

Benchmark was very responsive to my shutdown issue, even offering to send me a replacement and paying for return shipping of the existing amp.

But from the mail exchanges, we determined that the issue was most likely from me playing the amp at very low levels for extended periods ( I was doing this for burn-in ). When I made the volume a tiny bit higher, the shutdowns stopped; Rory at Benchmark told me that using the 12v trigger connection would also solve the issue. So I'm doing that too, and so far so good.

Music library is sounding very good… this amp is revealing even more detail as well as giving a more 3-D sound than the Pascal Class D amplifier section of my Gato integrated.
I still have most of the trial period left, but if the shutdown problem remains resolved, I think the amp will be staying.

Glad to hear you were able to get the issue resolved and glad Benchmark was willing to take steps to correct it. I'm a fan of Pascal Class D modules as I've had D-Sonic M3-800S in the past. I found it to be quite a good amplifier but always felt something was lacking in the music. I don't feel this way with the Benchmark.

Yes, was surprised somewhat by the difference between the Benchmark and Pascal. I wonder how the upcoming, proprietary class-D from Wyred will compare.

Back
Top Bottom