BENJAMIN R2X40

quiet

Addicted Member
It came in the mail this weekend. The Benjamin R2X40 and the Concord CR-550 appear to be the same units manufactured by I believe Matsushita.
Made in 1973, weighs 30 pounds, is rated 55 watt rms per channel and had a retail of $379. Maybe it is 55 watts, I don't know.
It's built well enough. The knobs are aluminum.
It does sound very good. It's not a very punchy unit but the bottom holds up very well. It pulls a loud heavy load with no noticeable distortion. Played REALLY loud low organ with plenty left for dynamics. Could be called a smooth sound I suppose. Very different from late 70's. The FM tuner works great.
I like it. I won't be using it a lot but I'm going to keep it for the mid-fi museum.
Definitely good mid-fi.
Was $50 to the door.

Attachments

• P3180001.JPG
    P3180001.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 16
After listening to it some more it appears my first impressions were very wrong. It doesn't have a lack of punch at all.
What it has is a lack of over bearing offensive lower mid punch.
Such as some string and drum sounds that would be heard from ported rock speakers.
And I'm thinking the 55 watts is maybe correct.
It sounds closer to my 1963 Pioneer tube receiver than anything else here. But with much more power.
I now recommend taking one home if it's clean and the price is right.

I've been using it for a couple of days now and it's really good, don't know why. It just is. And drives 4 ohm loads easy.
Haven't pushed it to the max, not going to, want to keep it.

Back
Top Bottom