Beogram 1700

Crang

Well I bought a Beogram 1700 TT today from a neighbor. Ran great when I got it. After a few records its developed speed issues. Its a present for my girlfriend and needs to run tip top. Anyone have any experience with these?

I assume a recap is in order which I figured it would need anyway. Any ideas if that doesnt fix it?

On a side note- this thing sounded far better than I was expecting with a MMC20CL cartridge on it. A very nice table actually. Changed my opinion of B&O on the spot. And the automatic will be good for my not so technically inclined girl.

Last edited:
OK- made a list of caps to replace. I see a Frako W.German one. Replacing those on my Revox table fixed all its issues. However- I have a question. There is one piece in the pic below that looks like a silver mini beer keg. All it says is 68nF with an H under it. What the heck is that? I assume its a cap but its huge for 68nF. No schematic available. Is it something I should replace? Its almost dead center in the pic and at the edge of the PCB

Looking at the picture, the first thing that struck me was the state of the 2 preset pots (righthand centre of the board). I would get those cleaned up first. You might find that this will fix the problem as they are probably speed adjusters.

Looking at the picture, the first thing that struck me was the state of the 2 preset pots (righthand centre of the board). I would get those cleaned up first. You might find that this will fix the problem as they are probably speed adjusters.

And I think those pots should line up with holes in the bottom cover.

Aha- good call. I'll give it a shot. Certainly wont hurt. The table did run fine for a few albums when I got it home before it took a dump. If I let it sit a bit the speed is fine again for 5 minutes then gets real unstable all over again. Already have the caps on order as well as a new belt so it will get a full service. Now that you say it bet those pots or the big W.German 470uF cap is the culprit. Will experiment and post back in case this comes up for someone else....

Last edited:
Well just a quick update to close this out. I started with the recap of the PCB and it still had speed issues. No dice on the adjustment pots either. I admit I overlooked the basics as I just got a new Hakko soldering iron so I was itching to use that first.

Even though the tracking force indicator on the counterweight read the right number, it had been dialed around 3 extra times giving me a 3.5g tracking force. Getting it down to 1g helped its bouncing fits but still all over the place speed wise. New belt just arrived today and she started running steady. Got the speed dialed back in with a strobo disc and looked to be running right. Double checked with an RPM app which read steady but at 33.0 rpms. Going with the disc reading and not going to get all OCD which is right. Just glad its steady and sounding good!

Feel like there should be some kind of Occams Razor moral to this story. On a side note I put a new set of $5 RCA plugs on it and wow! I cant believe the improvement in sound from that. Wasnt expecting any improvement. Definitely a nice sounding table and certainly is going to be a good starter table for my gal-

Thanks for the help-

Back
Top Bottom