Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC (version 1) here for audition.

I'm wondering also. I thought my Peachtree was all I'd ever want in a DAC, but now I'm thinking about the NAD M51.

That Berkeley is still very expensive used on A'gon. John got a great deal. The M51 would be the more logical choice IMO.

Agreed. New with a warranty and readily available, more connection options, and John said they are very close. Good enough for me to consider it.

The Mytek 192 DAC gets a lot of respect, and is less than the M51. I've heard it and liked it but it was with headphones. Nice ones, but its still hard to get a feel for how its going to sound with a speakers set-up.

I will say that I've never heard such a huge difference as on Saturday when we made that switch. The switch from the Eastern Electric DAC to the Berkeley was not as apparent as the switch from the Berkeley to the Sony as an integrated player, so maybe other things were at play. Or maybe the Eastern Electric DAC is also very good? Very possible...they make great gear.

I intended to mention the Eastern Electric DAC in my other post. That thing just mopped up the floor with the d/a in that Sony player. Technology advances and that sony player is pushing a decade now. I am glad Jim (it was Jim right?) brought that stuff for us to hear.

I intended to mention the Eastern Electric DAC in my other post. That thing just mopped up the floor with the d/a in that Sony player. Technology advances and that sony player is pushing a decade now. I am glad Jim (it was Jim right?) brought that stuff for us to hear.

This is one example of why I like listening and discussing things in person. Its hard to have somebody say "all digital sounds the same" when you can show them the comparison we had. And that was Jim's Eastern Electric DAC (might have been his transport, too). He has an integrated tube amp from them that is just phenomenal, that he brought to Robie's a few years ago.

The big question that I'll try to answer is if my Peachtree iDac can be bettered without spending a fortune. I don't hear much of a difference between it and the Sony 3100ES that feeds it, but I can't say if thats a testament to the fairly recent Sony or not. I'm thinking the M51 would be a significant step up in sound quality but at some point I have to balance price/performance.

The big question that I'll try to answer is if my Peachtree iDac can be bettered without spending a fortune. I don't hear much of a difference between it and the Sony 3100ES that feeds it, but I can't say if thats a testament to the fairly recent Sony or not. I'm thinking the M51 would be a significant step up in sound quality but at some point I have to balance price/performance.

That's how I feel about my squeezebox. It already sounds really good, what's a noticeable step up really going to run me and is it justifiable.

So how about you both come here on Saturday for a shootout. Oh, and while you're here can you move all my furniture across the hall to my new apartment? Haha.

I'm still trying to get the Mytek here for a comparison at some point, not for now but in case I ever decide I need to stream DSD. That's not a priority for me at all right now...I like the way 16/44 sounds (I almost said Redbook, Evan. Almost). The new place will have a dedicated listening room (well, dedicated to listening and my 10 or so guitars and recording gear and about 1000 books).

Last edited:
Nice 27,000th post :)

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I'll bury my head in the sand until I could consider an upgrade.

Nice 27,000th post :)

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I'll bury my head in the sand until I could consider an upgrade.

How did I end up with 27,000 posts? I just came here looking for information on my Sansui 9090db and KLH-Sixes!

You've had that Squeezebox modded, correct? What (in a nutshell) was done to it?

John, are you moving into a bigger place with more audio storage?

Great thread, btw.

Same size place (a mirror image of what I have, with a better view), but I'm using the move as an excuse to rearrange things, and to give me a sort of "man cave", or rather a room to concentrate my hobbies in as opposed to having them spread out over the apartment. I don't live in a huge place so its always like playing Jenga with the toys around here. I've spent about a month organizing my storage...things will be more fun here. I'll have a room full of books, guitar amps, guitars, and stereo/theater stuff...I'm really looking forward to it.

I was extremely impressed with the Alpha. Knowing that you have the NAD M51, and having already read this entire thread, I want to ask you this:
If you were going to buy one or the other for use as a stand-alone DAC (I think both can be a digital pre/DAC) and having a decent transport and Airport Express as the digital sources, which would you prefer assuming close to full retail cost?

In 2011, the Alpha Mk I listed for $5000 and would still list for $5000 had they not come out with the Mk II. IMO, the Mk I would be worth every cent of $5000 today if it was still "the latest and greatest". The fact that it's much less on the used market makes it a flat out steal.

I strategically bought the Mk I when the Mk II was released and can't think of another DAC I'd want more at its market value price point. I did get a chance to hear the Mk II later on, but didn't feel the differences were big enough to justify the additional coin, so I never upgraded to it.

To provide additional context, I have an EMM DAC2X now, and while it does some things better than the Alpha, the Alpha has a darker, seductive quality that some people might prefer. They are both on a very high level of refinement.

While I can't comment on the NAD, the Alpha is a very well known quantity, and it's very unlikely you'd be disappointed with it if you end up going that route.

Thanks, excellent description and I think I'd prefer a darker tone. The trouble is $5k is out of my budget, but if a used Mk 1 is close to the NAD it could be an option.

Thanks. It's tough to drop that kind of $ without hearing it first, it may not be a giant leap from what I already own. I'll take home the NAD from my friend's place soon, he also has Hegel and Bel Canto which are certainly worth exploring.

If you can wait about a month I certainly can bring it over. Wish I could sooner but this month is crazy with work travel to CA several times and moving.

Back
Top Bottom