Beryllium Cleaning, Pt. 2

Dr. Ear

I have successfully cleaned the midrange drivers of my new acqusition, a dirty pair of neglected Yamaha NS-2000. Cleaning the Be-drivers is a fairly easy job.
The rubber ring is easy to remove. To get the grille off I used glue remover. After a 10 minutes wait the grill comes off easily without damaging anything. One of the drivers must have had a frontal crash. The acoustic lens was bent inwards and only 3 mm away from the dome. I fixed this. Some of the faint-hearted will get an hysteric attack now: A blower brush did not work to get the grime off the dome. So I tried some Isopropyl with the brush, again no chance. Finally I was very successful with a microfiber cloth and window cleaner. I have very gentle hands and did not apply any pressure. I would not recommend this procedure to somebody with gross motor skills.
Those who want to give me a lesson about toxicity of Be should be aware that this metal has been in brake pads of motor cars for decades. If you are 50+, there is a big chance that you have inhaled a reasonable amount of Beryllium in your life. in the case of Be-drivers, as long as the integrity of the dome is maintained there is no danger. The surface of the domes is super smooth and there is no chance that particles will come off. But, don't break it. After aligning the acoustic lens in one driver I reassembled everything. Please see attached pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0497.jpeg
    IMG_0497.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0499.jpeg
    IMG_0499.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0500.jpeg
    IMG_0500.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 63
I have and NS-690 midrange I need to swap out a creased/dented screen with a perfect screen from a non-working midrange driver I picked up cheap off of ebay. What type of glue remover did you use?

Dave

You will get it in any home store in the carpet department. I used a Swiss product called Soluplast D. It is a gel, does not flow and stinks. I always get terrible headache from this stuff. Something the health freaks should really be concerned (and not Be-domes).

Attachments

• C55CD939-9CCD-4AA3-A3B4-5234D5E699D0.jpeg
    C55CD939-9CCD-4AA3-A3B4-5234D5E699D0.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 22
Excellent work! I would have been nervous disassembling them not because of the Be but because they are NS2000 parts.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Can we see the window cleaner ingredients, Incase it differs from the stateside version?

I have successfully cleaned the midrange drivers of my new acqusition, a dirty pair of neglected Yamaha NS-2000. Cleaning the Be-drivers is a fairly easy job.
The rubber ring is easy to remove. To get the grille off I used glue remover. After a 10 minutes wait the grill comes off easily without damaging anything. One of the drivers must have had a frontal crash. The acoustic lens was bent inwards and only 3 mm away from the dome. I fixed this. Some of the faint-hearted will get an hysteric attack now: A blower brush did not work to get the grime off the dome. So I tried some Isopropyl with the brush, again no chance. Finally I was very successful with a microfiber cloth and window cleaner. I have very gentle hands and did not apply any pressure. I would not recommend this procedure to somebody with gross motor skills.
Those who want to give me a lesson about toxicity of Be should be aware that this metal has been in brake pads of motor cars for decades. If you are 50+, there is a big chance that you have inhaled a reasonable amount of Beryllium in your life. in the case of Be-drivers, as long as the integrity of the dome is maintained there is no danger. The surface of the domes is super smooth and there is no chance that particles will come off. But, don't break it. After aligning the acoustic lens in one driver I reassembled everything. Please see attached pictures.
looks really good. If you have no hard spots on the domes, that means it was only dust. Nice work!

Back
Top Bottom