Best 8 Track Tape Deck

My brother had a Pioneer which was awfully good for an 8-track and which recorded very well. A close buddy had an Akai CR-82 and it was the best 8-track I've ever heard or used. I once had a Magnavox, which was meh..... And I've seen several Radio Shack models that were pretty decent - I believe they were all rebranded Hitachi.

I was gifted an AKAI CR-81D last week..along with 25 tapes.
It was the tapes I wanted, the machine was a bonus.
What a great deck. I pushed a tape in and it played immediately.
Quiet, smooth, changed tracks via the button and on it's own.
Highly recommended.
IMG_1014.JPG
Graham

No argument here - the same model is my daily driver. I've owned just about every decent (relative term) 8 track player or recorder on the market, and the CR-81D is the best of the bunch. The combination of Akai's super quality heads and a big honkin' AC motor can't be beat.

Nice gift!:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Larry B.

Pioneer H-R100, pretty good stereo deck:
Pioneer H-R100 left side (640x362).jpg

Harman Kardon Model 8+; Stereo / Quadraphonic deck shown here with a Sony SQ Decoder 1000:

HK 8+ (640x507).jpg

I've got the H-R100, I was amazed at what the format could sound like, even recognizing its limitations. Thing is built like a tank and replacing the belts was super easy. I would imagine one couldn't go wrong with any of the TOTL decks mentioned here.

Sony TC 211 had the best frequency response by a bit of all the Stereo 8 players, but Pioneer, Wollensak, and Akai had great machines.

Are the Fisher 8-tracks any good? I have one I purchased about 10 years ago with the intention of refurbishing it, but now it's buried in a "sell off" pile since I don't have time to deal with it. This one has play/record, but I can't remember if it had Dolby or not.

The Fisher 8 track better machines with Dolby are superb (I own one). Built by Sanyo (who made the Wollensak machines which are highly regarded). Among the better Stereo 8 available. The best Sanyo/Fisher can deliver 15-16K top end response in good condition. Motor is on the weaker side on Fisher/Sanyo/Wollensaks.

Just got back from a record meet in a park in western Canada and was surprized to see a lot of 8 tracks for sale, and they WERE selling. Some people buying in bulk.

Another trend in the making? Some of the more obscure tapes going for about the same prices, and they weren't giving the LP's away as very few were under $10.

Q

Just got back from a record meet in a park in western Canada and was surprized to see a lot of 8 tracks for sale, and they WERE selling. Some people buying in bulk.

Another trend in the making? Some of the more obscure tapes going for about the same prices, and they weren't giving the LP's away as very few were under $10.

Q

Being in Western Canada myself, where was this meet and is an annual thing or a one off?

Q
I wonder how many of those buyers knew how much of a fuss those old tapes are. Having to replace the foil splice and pressure pad is a bit of work. It's not like the hipsters and their beloved cassettes, where you can pick them up at a thrift store and play them. I have a few dozen tapes myself, some even sealed, that I bought in bulk. After finding out how much of a bother they were, I never bothered trying to play more than one or two (which had spring-loaded felt pressure pads). Can't wait to get rid of them. Maybe now is the time? :D

I'm in Western Canada as well...
Where was this meet??

Graham

The record meet/sale took place in a downtown park in Lethbridge, AB. It went for just the one day, but a lot of sellers were wishing that it had been scheduled for the Sunday as well, eh?

Not a lot of sellers, but the quality/selection was pretty darn good. There was a good crowd attending, and they were willing to pay the bucks to get what they wanted even for the different formats in tapes. The people at this music event knew their stuff on both sides of the fence.

It was a music fair, with live music in the background and all the different assortment of food trucks nearby. Other wares were offered, with activities for the kids well.

This was a first time gathering, and I think not the last. Lots of talk of another next year.

And Wildcat, I hear ya on the need to have the hands of a surgeon and the patience of Jove to work on these old 8 tracks. It is a labour of love though. Once you get the hang of it and have the right tape and have a good pair to tweezers, it can be done.
I had to check out some of the sites that deal with repair in order to appreciate the best/most efficient way to work on these frustrating cartridges. Then, having a decent player to play them with, is the other half of the ownership equation. The cheaper players tend to gobble them up at times. That's why I started this thread.

Also hear you on the need to maybe hitch a ride on the current way of analogue, as I have over 1800 of the critters!:rolleyes: The wifey is not so all for this event.

Q

Last edited:
Funny, I just saw an estate sale listing (starts today) where someone had advertised over 150 cameras (!). Also some audio equipment and other things. This person must have liked 8-tracks, as I counted at least half a dozen varieties of players. A couple were in all-in-one systems. A couple appeared to be identical Panasonics. Lots of interesting cameras also--a couple were tempting (like the stereo camera, and some of the twin lens reflex cameras), but I already have enough fractured hobbies. :D

Funny, I just saw an estate sale listing (starts today) where someone had advertised over 150 cameras (!). Also some audio equipment and other things. This person must have liked 8-tracks, as I counted at least half a dozen varieties of players. A couple were in all-in-one systems. A couple appeared to be identical Panasonics. Lots of interesting cameras also--a couple were tempting (like the stereo camera, and some of the twin lens reflex cameras), but I already have enough fractured hobbies. :D

You are not alone. Bakelite radios are another fractured hobby of mine. Not sure if they work, but they do look fine in Retro Aspect.

Q

And Wildcat, I hear ya on the need to have the hands of a surgeon and the patience of Jove to work on these old 8 tracks. It is a labour of love though. Once you get the hang of it and have the right tape and have a good pair to tweezers, it can be done.
I had to check out some of the sites that deal with repair in order to appreciate the best/most efficient way to work on these frustrating cartridges. Then, having a decent player to play them with, is the other half of the ownership equation. The cheaper players tend to gobble them up at times. That's why I started this thread.

Q

I usually try to stay out of these sort of things, but I have to comment.

I've been working on 8 tracks since the '70s, and I have yet to feel the need for tweezers. For cassettes, perhaps, but NOT the good ol' endless loop. A good flat blade, perhaps a Philips, some finger dexterity, and determination are all that's required. That, and the necessary repair items: splicing tape, adhesive foil, and replacement pads - not much more than you'd need for R2R tape.

Some carts are a hassle to open, but the great bulk will yield to opening relatively easily. Sorry, I just have to defend the beloved endless loop!:rockon:

And BTW, the most common cause for tape gobbling is the same for 8T, cassette or reel: dirty capstan. Just sayin'.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Last edited:
I usually try to stay out of these sort of things, but I have to comment.

I've been working on 8 tracks since the '70s, and I have yet to feel the need for tweezers. For cassettes, perhaps, but NOT the good ol' endless loop. A good flat blade, perhaps a Philips, some finger dexterity, and determination are all that's required. That, and the necessary repair items: splicing tape, adhesive foil, and replacement pads - not much more than you'd need for R2R tape.

Some carts are a hassle to open, but the great bulk will yield to opening relatively easily. Sorry, I just have to defend the beloved endless loop!:rockon:

And BTW, the most common cause for tape gobbling is the same for 8T, cassette or reel: dirty capstan. Just sayin'.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Not in the least putting this tape format down
. I use the "tweezers" as my "finger dexterity" ain't the best when it come to these tapes.

No need to defend. With 1800 of these plastics in the sound room, we is on the same page...maybe not so much my wifey, eh?

Q

Back
Top Bottom