1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Album Ever

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by rocknroll1, Sep 15, 2018.

1. rocknroll1

rocknroll1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

U2 Joshua Tree Its damn good but I might be bias. My wife bought me the cd and a cd player for fathers day back in the late 80's. It turned me back onto music forever. But I listened to it tonight on vinyl for the 1st time and holy shit. Just like I remember it for my first cd but better. I am not a U2 fan except for this albumand son't really like any others.

jnicholson14 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. slow_jazz

slow_jazz AK Subscriber Subscriber

My best album changes daily

3. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Best one? Best one hundred is hard enough. Add in multiple genres, and it gets even tougher. Like Lay's potato chips, I can't stop with just one. Even top ten is impossible for me.

I was listening to War do their song All Day Music in a session with my friend Kyle a couple days ago - the vocals are awesome on that track. The world is a better place for the chance to hear that recording. While I'm listening to that song, it's the best. Multiply that by a few thousand, and where do you start?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  4. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

You're gonna laugh bur keep in mind that I'm a child of the 60's and this, IMNSHO, may be the ultimate album of the "sunshine bands" of my generation. It's not heavy, dark, or contains any hidden messages, but it does flow easily from one song to the next and, IMNSHO. provides a pleasant listening experience.

anything goes.jpg

Go ahead. laugh. I still like it.

Pio1980, KeninDC, sdw54 and 2 others like this.
  5. Robisme

Robisme Sansui Enthusiast Subscriber

Judas Priest Sad Wings of Destiny. For an album released in 1976 it is epic, IMO.

Or...Don McLean American Pie.

I have both.

Rob

6. richamor

richamor Blue Collar Subscriber

agree with musichal.....just too many albums out there for any one to be "the best". But I will say this, and apologies to the OP, but anything by U2 would certainly not be on my list.

7. kbuzz

kbuzz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well this is a tough but near impossible question. But to me

Astral weeks. Nothing comes close

EyeGee likes this.
  8. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

The Joshua Tree is damn near perfect . It makes my Top 10 for sure .

9. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

In the category of pop/rock music, all others stand on the shoulders of one GIANT:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

GeeDeeEmm

[​IMG]

10. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Not for the SQ, which isn't bad, but just the events place in music history has to put this album set near the top. I love it when CSN&Y come on stage Stephen Stills remarked: "This is the second time we've ever played in front of people, man. We're scared shitless."

As a soon to be teen I purchased my first three albums, just being released it was very serendipitous this was one of them.

740906-379291.jpg

Marine0811 and bluesky like this.
  11. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

For many years, for me it was Yes, Fragile.
    Fragile_(Yes_album)_cover_art.jpg

Sometimes alternating with Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick.
    ThickAsABrick.jpg

But now, having wholly embraced streaming I listen to songs rather than albums, so I don't know.

WaynerN and Yodathedog like this.

12. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

I wore out a couple of LPs of Fragile, then a couple of cassettes, now on CD. Didn't come that close on Thick As A Brick, but it wasn't far behind!

GeeDeeEmm

DaveVoorhis likes this.
  13. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

I thought this was just deemed the best album ever. Not by me as I have many other albums that I like better. I think it passed Michael Jacksons Thriller LP in most number of albums sold.

[​IMG]
    More Images

Eagles ‎– Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975
    Label:
    Asylum Records ‎– 7E-1052
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Compilation, Reissue, Embossed Cover
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Classic Rock

tbowli likes this.
  14. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

The most # ! hits on a single album, is tied, Michael Jackson "Bad" with 5 number one hits. And Katy Perry "Teenage Dream" with 5 hits as well.

15. bcbud3

bcbud3 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't listen to any of those (U2 and Eagles are overplayed enough on the radio). For me, Metallica Ride the Lightning does the job

f0427ea and TheseGoTo11 like this.
  16. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got too many to think of and my favorite changes with my mood as much as anything else.

grillebilly, stish and mgosdin like this.

17. AVH7401

AVH7401 New Member

I don't know if I could pick a best album of all time, but if I had to choose a favorite album, I would probably go with Van Halen's debut album.

432HzBob likes this.
  18. 432HzBob

432HzBob Addicted Member

Best album ever depends on the day, or month, and the mood.
    A few days ago it was Jimi's Electric Ladyland.
    A few months ago it was Yessongs then Van Halen 1 listed above then an Alan Parsons album.
    I think today the BAE will be London Calling.

19. Balrog2112

Balrog2112 AK Subscriber Subscriber

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    . But in a few days I might think it is.

darkblue94 likes this.
  20. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

OP: AK is a diverse forum – which I believe is a good thing. Because you haven’t specified a genre, I’ll suggest a few recordings of classical music.

It’s difficult to pick a “Best Album Ever” given the many sub-genre within classical music, and depending on my mood, and considering my ongoing evolution in the enjoyment of music. With that said, what immediately came to mind is Sergei Rachmaninoff’s composition for the Russian Orthodox “All Night Vigil” ceremony, performed by the Kansas City Chorale and Phoenix Chorale under the direction of Charles Bruffy, with fabulous SACD multi-channel audio quality when played via my vintage vacuum tube amps.

In light of the fact that many modern classical recordings feature hi-def video in addition to hi-res multi-channel audio, I’ll suggest the following Blu-ray box set as a more modern implementation of an “album”: Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos Danish NSO performing Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1–9, Joaquín Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez, Hector Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique Op. 14, and Richard Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie (An Alpine Symphony) Op. 64, TrV 233.