Best Album Ever

For me, "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd is close to the top of my "desert island disks" list. So is "London Calling" by The Clash, "Ziggy Stardust" by David Bowie, etc.

There's just too many truly stellar albums to pick any as the best.

I suppose if someone held a gun to my head and said, "Pick an album now. NOW!", I'd probably blurt out Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

But it can change in a heartbeat, sans gun.

I have favorites in different genres. Like others have stated, too many choices that change weekly. That being said, I'm picking Disraeli Gears by Cream. Three songs from it are on my top ten list. Also, one of the greatest album covers of all time. "The tiny purple fishes go laughing through your fingers"...some wild lyrics on the LP.

I tripped on some acid listening to this song in around 1979.It blew my mind.On of the psychedelic masterpieces of the 60s this lp is.

I don't know if I could pick a best album of all time, but if I had to choose a favorite album, I would probably go with Van Halen's debut album.

I had Van Halen's second album before their first one, so VH II naturally ranks higher on my list.

And Heart's Dreamboat Annie is my favorite every single time it plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
No question:

Let-It-Rot-the-rutles-1383136-500-493.jpg

:D

Having over 3600 titles on hand (that is just vinyl), another thousand or so on CD, and God knows what on tape, it is a tough call, but a couple that seems to always make my playlist for the day is the original S/T Boston album and Jethro Tull~Thick As A Brick. Both are such "cohesive" works that you just have to play the whole thing beginning to end.

But now, having wholly embraced streaming I listen to songs rather than albums, so I don't know.

I have not wholly embraced streaming--sure, I use it, but (to me, at least), it is nothing more than internet radio. It is also the death of the "album". Artists used to put together an album as a cohesive piece of work intended to be listened to in its entirety--now you have a "hit single" and 11 other tracks of "filler" with no particular rhyme or reason for their existence. I tend to like well thought out compositions, and in many cases, the not-for-radio tracks are far better than the hits. Pretty much all genres of FM stations in my neck of the woods have been bought out by Clear Channel Communism (Communications), and have a shorter playlist than I do on a daily basis, and it is pathetic. The main "classic rock" station is so predictable that you can basically set your watch as to when the next LZ, PF or Skynyrd song will come on.

I have not wholly embraced streaming--sure, I use it, but (to me, at least), it is nothing more than internet radio. It is also the death of the "album". Artists used to put together an album as a cohesive piece of work intended to be listened to in its entirety--now you have a "hit single" and 11 other tracks of "filler" with no particular rhyme or reason for their existence.
I'm ok with that. I've never been a particularly album-oriented listener -- except for a few old favourites, some mentioned in this thread -- despite whatever the album's author might have intended.

However, streaming doesn't eliminate the album; you can listen to albums or individual tracks -- your choice.

I have several favorites.

Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely
Frank Sinatra September Of My Years (Album of the year 1965)
Miles Davis Kind Of Blue

Fleetwood Mac Rumors

Eagles The Long Run

Jethro Tulls "Stand UP", no, wait, the Doors "L A Woman", no, wait, King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" ,no, wait, ZZ Top's "La Grange", no, wait ,Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", Aw shit, I don't know.

The Yes Album and Who's Next always bubble to the top but I reserve the right to change my mind on any sentimental whim I might have.

I don't know about best, but E.L.O. Time I would listen it in entirely, every songs. Next to that Pink Floyd The Wall and Dark side of the Moon.

Wow. Surprised to see AK'ers, or at least the AK'ers who would respond to a question like this, are pretty much MOR rockers.
As some remarked, without doing separate genres, this question is a little over the top. And then the next step would be sub-genres; i.e., jazz, jazz-rock, be-bop, big band, acoustic jazz, electric jazz, post-bop jazz, creative music, etc.

Back
Top Bottom