Best analogy for hi-fi collecting?

birchoak

Hi-Fi Nut
I now have twelve working stereo receivers. Why, for the love of all that is pure and beautiful? After all, there's only one of me. Why? (I don't actually care why, this is just for fun).

(1) Smaug sitting on his pile of loot in The Hobbit. Doesn't quite hold up, as Smaug does not actually enjoy his hoard of gold, jewel-encrusted goblets, and mithril armor, while I most certainly do. Also, he rolls around in said swag until it's embedded in his skin, giving him full protection from angry villagers with spears and arrows. I haven't had to worry about stuff like that for a while now.

(2) Fine wine connoisseur. This one is closer. The Panasonic SA-5800 has a smoky midrange, with dulcet highs and a woody bass, while the Yamaha CR-800 is clear & refined, like most products from Japan's Chamonix region. Sophisticated listeners can hear muted flutes in the H.H. Scott R74S, present because of the manufacturer's proximity to a large tulip patch in Maynard, Massachusetts. Each receiver in my collection looks and sounds slightly different from the other, offering an aural variety without peer in Amesbury. I have a crimson velvet smoking jacket I don before "tasting" sessions (no, I actually don't, but now that image is stuck in your head) and a Corinthian leather recliner to cup my lithe yet powerful form (totally true, every word).

(3) Creepy old hoarder. While I see myself as (2), my family probably sees me as this one: unwashed, squinting man with perpetual five o' clock shadow. Only comes out for flea markets, yard sales, and arrives early for CL buys, talking non-stop to increasingly bewildered and concerned CL sellers. May roam in public wearing pajamas or without pants. Most of the equipment does not work and is piled in teetering stacks in every room, including the shower stall. Hmm. Nope. I have never gone out in public wearing pajamas.

Which one of these fits you?
Do you have a better analogy?
Let's hear it!
This is all just for fun and not meant to be taken seriously, although profound insights into this hobby are also welcome.

Why does such a devoted, discerning and self-knowing collector collect — Receivers?
Excellent question.
1. Receivers light up! It's like having a little Xmas tree year 'round.
2. FM = Free music! I avoided FM like many avoid AM, but recently found an outstanding local station and now I listen all the time.
3. I try not to judge a book by its cover, but man, receivers always looked so cool to me---all those switches and dials and lights, plus, the tactile joy of spinning a weighted tuning knob!

I feel like I have a pretty good ear for detail, but almost all of the amps I've ever heard have sounded more clinical and neutral than my receivers. I like a bit of distortion, a bit of truth-bending I suppose.

Insect.V3.2016_-_048.JPG

I now have twelve working stereo receivers. Why, for the love of all that is pure and beautiful? After all, there's only one of me. Why? (I don't actually care why, this is just for fun).

(1) Smaug sitting on his pile of loot in The Hobbit. Doesn't quite hold up, as Smaug does not actually enjoy his hoard of gold, jewel-encrusted goblets, and mithril armor, while I most certainly do. Also, he rolls around in said swag until it's embedded in his skin, giving him full protection from angry villagers with spears and arrows. I haven't had to worry about stuff like that for a while now.

(2) Fine wine connoisseur. This one is closer. The Panasonic SA-5800 has a smoky midrange, with dulcet highs and a woody bass, while the Yamaha CR-800 is clear & refined, like most products from Japan's Chamonix region. Sophisticated listeners can hear muted flutes in the H.H. Scott R74S, present because of the manufacturer's proximity to a large tulip patch in Maynard, Massachusetts. Each receiver in my collection looks and sounds slightly different from the other, offering an aural variety without peer in Amesbury. I have a crimson velvet smoking jacket I don before "tasting" sessions (no, I actually don't, but now that image is stuck in your head) and a Corinthian leather recliner to cup my lithe yet powerful form (totally true, every word).

(3) Creepy old hoarder. While I see myself as (2), my family probably sees me as this one: unwashed, squinting man with perpetual five o' clock shadow. Only comes out for flea markets, yard sales, and arrives early for CL buys, talking non-stop to increasingly bewildered and concerned CL sellers. May roam in public wearing pajamas or without pants. Most of the equipment does not work and is piled in teetering stacks in every room, including the shower stall. Hmm. Nope. I have never gone out in public wearing pajamas.

Which one of these fits you?
Do you have a better analogy?
Let's hear it!
This is all just for fun and not meant to be taken seriously, although profound insights into this hobby are also welcome.
Fine wine is probably most accurate of those, provided the collection is curated.

Women's shoes is another - one or more for every "outfit".

I think of myself more as a "Relic Hunter" (good TV show, btw), hunting down lost treasures "in the wild". I compete with, buy from, and sell to fellow relic hunters, as well as "museum curators".

I like a bit of distortion, a bit of truth-bending I suppose.
Me too. But it must be "euphonic" distortion — that's an old Greek word which means "sounds great!" But no self-respecting Audio-Phile would ever say "sounds great", it has to be a classy word that shows deep learning.

Have you noticed the latest linguistic conceit on A-gon? Wires and cables are no longer copper or silver — they're Cu or Ag.

Life: No matter what there is always someone richer, better looking, bigger house, better looking spouse, faster car...

As for the wine analogy: I had a collector tell me once that it's a no-brainer to get a good $100 bottle of wine. The fun in finding the really good $10 bottle.

I'm a good $10 bottle guy.

Life: No matter what there is always someone richer, better looking, bigger house, better looking spouse, faster car...

As for the wine analogy: I had a collector tell me once that it's a no-brainer to get a good $100 bottle of wine. The fun in finding the really good $10 bottle.

I'm a good $10 bottle guy.
10 bucks?? Whoa, whoa, whoa! I don't spend that kinda cash on wine myself! Two buck chuck kinda ticks me off cuz it's no longer two bucks?? So I purchase my "fine wines" at "Dollar General!"

Spring Creek, Cabernet Sauvignon, more than "Good Enough." And my wife likes it to. Dollar General is like "Goodwill for audio" cept you already know ... a "score" will be there. :)

Fine wine is probably most accurate of those, provided the collection is curated.

Women's shoes is another - one or more for every "outfit".

I think of myself more as a "Relic Hunter" (good TV show, btw), hunting down lost treasures "in the wild". I compete with, buy from, and sell to fellow relic hunters, as well as "museum curators".
Ooh, I like where this is going. You're endowing us with nobility. Keep going!

Back
Top Bottom