Best Bookshelf Speakers under $500

The Wharfedale Diamond Series 10 is out, so speakers from previous series should be priced lower now.

The Wharfedale Diamond Series 10 is out, so speakers from previous series should be priced lower now.

They've been priced lower for months through STO Sound & Vision. I bought the Evo2-10 for $299 a pair. Very pleased with them for that price. QC issues are a problem with STO's stock but Mike appears to be standup enough that there is easy resolution to any problems.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I'm always on the lookout for a bargin. I've built a lot of speakers as well and some are very good sounding.

For $500 you can get from Exodus Audio a modern speaker kit, the "Kepler" with a SOTA XBL2 woofer and the superb Peerless HDS tweeter. The crossover is preassembled and features excellent components in a LR 4th order crossover. Excellent frequency resonse measurements and surprizingly deep bass. The only drawback is that's the price without cabinets. They were, however, designed to be used with PE's very nice cabinets.

I believe that these are the real deal, and own a pair myself. In fact, they can pretty much hold their own against speakers costing 1000's of dollars more and if you check the measurements against some of the other speakers reviewed, I think you'll see what I mean.

Here's the review: http://www.soundstage.com/diwhy/diwhy200804.htm

Best Regards,
TerryO

Wharfedales are OK - no great shakes really. I think many of the speakers suggested sound better.

Kinda depends on the model of Wharfedales and the speakers suggested don't you think. I'd put my Evo2-10's against any of the budget speakers mentioned and since I've owned most of them I know which I'd pefer.

I dunno if you have finally settled on a set yet, but when it comes to smaller speakers (read: small enough to fit on my desk), I have gone with Boston. My first set was a set of HD5's. Now I have since upgraded to CR7's. I am nothing but impressed with these. They in my opinion sound very impressive.

I just landed a beautiful pair of Linn Index's....haven't had a chance to try them yet but appear quite capable...

I just landed a beautiful pair of Linn Index's....haven't had a chance to try them yet but appear quite capable...

Quite capable indeed...I just finished spinning Kenny Burrell's "Ode to 52'nd Street"..which I find to to be a fairly dynamic recording and these Linn's are very capable...:yes:

Quite capable indeed...I just finished spinning Kenny Burrell's "Ode to 52'nd Street"..which I find to to be a fairly dynamic recording and these Linn's are very capable...:yes:
OK...day two impressions....F***k are these nice. These KEF drivers are really getting it done...:yes: Count me impressed..:thmbsp:

KLH 911B's $20!

Hi,

KLH makes a Nice Bookshelf speaker, 911B's $20 Pair.

5-100 watts very efficient! Sound clear,live.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

I have seen the B&W 805 Matrix go for right around the $500/pr mark on occasion. They are a fine example that have to be heard to believe....

I definitely like the 805s for that price.
...I'll settle for the 704s, in a pinch:D

Try some of the newer Monitor Audio bookshelves. I find them better than any of the Wharfedales and I did have two pairs of Wharfedales at one time. I got rid of them because they were not bad, but the others do things better!

I do enjoy the MA speakers. Heard every incarnation right up to the most recent. I still like the Evo2-10's as well as the Silver series standmount...different but just as good IMO. I will admit that had they been the same price I probably would have went for the MA's but at nearly 65% off of retail the Evo's were a no brainer for me.

Last edited:
Update from the OP

Thanks again for all of the helpful input. I respect the staying power of all of you recent posters and was glad to see a couple of folks asking for an update.

Well, it's several months since my original post and I have not yet made a purchase. However, I have raised the funds by selling off some of my excess audio gear and so I am ready to act now.

I've decided a few things: I don't want to build a kit, I don't want to have to add a subwoofer (at least for awhile), I definitely prefer new to used (I have been buying exclusively used for several years and just feel like something "factory fresh" this time), and I really want these speakers to look sharp as well as sound good, meaning real wood veneer or nice glossy paint.

Here's my current thinking:

- Wharfedales: among the front runners, specifically the EVO2-10's available from STO for $299. Concern: may be too "warm" for me. But tempting at this price.

- Usher S-520s: among the front runners. Great reviews. A little concerned about adequacy of the low end. $399 on line with free shipping. Tempting price and doubt I would be disappointed.

- Monitor Audio RS1s: among the front runners. Missed a chance to buy a used pair locally for $220...regretting that. Can't find them cheaper than $500 on-line, and that excludes shipping. So, definitely behind the Wharfies and Ushers on price.

- EPS ELS-3's: very concerned about adequacy of the low end and I don't dig the vinyl wrapped cabs.

- The Cambridge Model Six's and Infinity Primus: good reviews but not "luxe" enough in appearance. I've got $500 squirreled away and my goal is not to find a good speaker at a lower price, but rather to use my full budget to get as nice of a speaker as possible.

- Used Energy Veritas 2.1's: available locally for $350 and among the front runners. Auditioned them and they sounded very nice.

- JBL L830s - reviews suggest good bass but I don't like the vinyl wrapped cabs. Plus--and I hate to admit this--psychologically I just don't think a JBL is going to scratch my current itch. Fair or not, but in my mind they just aren't the sort of refined, low volume, near field sort of speaker I'm looking for.

- Polk LSi7's or 9's: candidates, but generally sell above my means.

- Canton: several models with great looking specs and some massive discounts at online liquidators. But there has to be a catch...anybody have any experience?

I'm going to continue looking (and whereever possible, auditioning) but I expect to make a decision soon. Any additional comments would be appreciated!

--Matt

OK...day two impressions....F***k are these nice. These KEF drivers are really getting it done...:yes: Count me impressed..:thmbsp:

:thmbsp: I also own a pair of Linn Index speakers, picked them up last year on Craigslist for a decent price, and I have been quite favorably impressed by them. Before that, I ran Tannoy Mercury M1s in my smaller listening room, and IMO, the Indexes are better.

Among your list the Wharfdale Evo2-10 and MA RS1 are my favorites. The Epos ELS3 is a great speaker which I am enjoying in my office these days...not big sounding enough for the main listening room.

Good luck Matt, I'm sure you'll find exactly what you want. If I remember correctly the Cantons had a very good reputation, but I haven't heard them myself.

Finally pulled the trigger...

Over the weekend I picked up the Energy Veritas 2.1's and some nice, shot-filled stands were thrown in. They are in very nice condition and sound amazing. As good or better than any floor stander I have owned; great soundstage and imaging with detailed, punchy bass.

It was down to these or the Usher S-520's. Since I was not able to do comparitive listening tests (the local Usher deal had none!) I ended up relying on the specifications. For the same price these Energy's have significantly more bass (6.5" woofer compared to the 5"; 45hz versus 52hz), are twice as heavy, are more sensitive (89 db vs. 86db), and have real wood (nice cherry). I've heard the fit and finish on the Ushers is good but I can't imagine it could be any nicer than on these Veritas', because they are built like tanks...if jewlers made tanks.

Photos are attached. I've got the grills as well and they are in fine condition.

Attachments

• Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 63
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 33
Over the weekend I picked up the Energy Veritas 2.1's and some nice, shot-filled stands were thrown in. They are in very nice condition and sound amazing. As good or better than any floor stander I have owned; great soundstage and imaging with detailed, punchy bass.

It was down to these or the Usher S-520's. Since I was not able to do comparitive listening tests (the local Usher deal had none!) I ended up relying on the specifications. For the same price these Energy's have significantly more bass (6.5" woofer compared to the 5"; 45hz versus 52hz), are twice as heavy, are more sensitive (89 db vs. 86db), and have real wood (nice cherry). I've heard the fit and finish on the Ushers is good but I can't imagine it could be any nicer than on these Veritas', because they are built like tanks...if jewlers made tanks.

Photos are attached. I've got the grills as well and they are in fine condition.

Those are wonderful speakers...great choice and congrats. Now it's time to "enjoy the music".

Back
Top Bottom