Best Bookshelf Speakers under $500

PARADIGM Titan Performance Series! Awesome sound...you'll be surprised. You can't buy them new though. 1992 models. They sell for like $100 or less on ebay. Make sure to look for the Performance Series TITANs. Amd look for reviews as well.:thmbsp:

You can get factory re-furbished Polk LSi9's for about $500. They are outstanding little speakers. I've got a pair I bought new and am still amazed at their sound. They are 4 ohm, so you need an amp that will handle 4 ohm loads with ease.

thatd be what i would get:boink: all the way

You can build these: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148

In these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-722

for about $500. Being Sealed, they aren't bass monsters, but everything else is among the best I've heard. These plus a musical sub are world class. If you don't want to build crossovers yourself, contact Sean at Skiing Ninja Systems (www.skiingninja.com) and he'll do that for you for about $65. He'll build out the entire speakers for you if you need, but I don't know how much that costs.

Over the weekend I picked up the Energy Veritas 2.1's and some nice, shot-filled stands were thrown in. They are in very nice condition and sound amazing. As good or better than any floor stander I have owned; great soundstage and imaging with detailed, punchy bass...they are built like tanks...

Lucky man, you are. The Veritas line is excellent. Sadly, corporate overlord Klipsch has killed all of Energy's high end models and are steering the brand to the mass market.

That product line is Veritas in name only. The drivers and components are similar "made in china" pieces as are used in the connoisseur series.

The original Veritas line had drivers that were completely unique (which even had cooling fines on their stamped aluminum baskets!) with high grade crossover components. Plus they were made in Canada.

I hope that you guys who posted in 2010, know that the OP made his selection and bought his speakers in 2009. I'm just sayin'. :D

sany0085r12.jpg
Holy rock my world, 1966 Batman!!! OOOOF!!!!!

Seeing as this thread is only six years old - hell, why not? I can't believe none of the folks asking for reccomendations on new amps/turntables etc aren't also trying to find out what are some of the better speakers to audition.
So what do folks think of the Dali Zensor 1 or 3? I'm listening to a pair of the former and really digging them. I only have a cheap pair of Yamaha speakers to compare them to , but the Zensor's have what sound to me a very nice dynamic sense. Got them new for $400 last year, and thinking of eventually upgrading to the Zensor 3.

Seeing as this thread is only six years old - hell, why not? I can't believe none of the folks asking for reccomendations on new amps/turntables etc aren't also trying to find out what are some of the better speakers to audition.
So what do folks think of the Dali Zensor 1 or 3? I'm listening to a pair of the former and really digging them. I only have a cheap pair of Yamaha speakers to compare them to , but the Zensor's have what sound to me a very nice dynamic sense. Got them new for $400 last year, and thinking of eventually upgrading to the Zensor 3.
I like them I had them for about 2 weeks, and then I took them back this was last year, they was a lil forward sounding for me but they had a huge sound stage with a very organic mid-range, tight bass, a Lil light but pretty good....they might sound different on my current set up, but I definitely liked them a lot...the guys on The What HiFi forums swear by the Zensor 3 though....

Back
Top Bottom