1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

best budget CD player?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by mhjmhjones, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ferninando

ferninando AK Subscriber Subscriber

one thing about the C7030 is you dont have to look all over hell and gone to find one then pay an arm and a leg.
    get a brand new one anywhere any day and bobs ur uncle.
    too bad u cant do that with some of the great vintage ones like some of u guys have.

the more I play mine the more I appreciate its qualities. It just sounds GREAT in every respect.

2. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

I picked up this same unit recently off of CL for $25.
    It is a quality unit for sure.

Still looking for a old silver face Kyocera or the like.

3. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

The best bang for buck CD player has to be Yamaha CDX-1100U and CDX-1120. Both feature dual power transformers, one each for analog and digital sections. The 1100U has dual DAC's while the 1120 has four DAC's. The 1100U sells for around $200 while the 1120 is around $300. IME, they are as good as the best Sony ES which cost multiples more.

stish likes this.
  4. Pinkfloyd4ev

Pinkfloyd4ev Active Member

I've seen a lot recently about people using an old Playstation 1 for listening to CDs. Apparently they sound surprisingly good.

But you also can't go wrong with the Onkyo C-7030. Sign up for an email alert from here http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...nkyo-c-7030-compact-single-disc-player/1.html if you're like me (money is tight and you can wait a bit) and you can get it for $140 eventually. Or get it now on Amazon for $170

5. ferninando

Before I got my 7030 I ran a pioneer 100 disc carosel with an outboard Cambridg DacMagic at $400
    which gave me the biggest SQ improvement in that I got improvement in detail, clarity, broadenend soundstage,
    better separation of voices and instruments. I was amazed. The D-Magic runs 2 dacs, 1 for each channel. wolfsons.
    But now I run the 7030 and get the same sound quality and that happys me.
    Now there are many other CDPs out there with great sound as the onkyo.
    Im sure teacs and yamaha are top notch performers as is sony of which I now have one, a 302 single disc.
    I love the way it operates, fast, smooth and quiet. Great SQ as well. Nice.

6. Tim64

Tim64 Well-Known Member

My Onkyo C-7030 just died after 2 years and 3 months just out of warranty. The motor wont spin up it goes a few jerky revolutions and stops. I have a new transport swapped it in and same result I'm guessing a chip died in the board, kinda disappointing. I hooked up my 16 year old Technics which still plays fine but does not sound as good. Thinking of using DVD player and a external DAC since used DVD players are a dime a dozen these days and most have a optical output..

Drumolator likes this.
  7. lissenup

lissenup Active Member

Try a Sony DVP S-7700 with or without an outboard dac. Really really nice for $35 either way.

JarredCrowe likes this.
  8. Seaneman

Seaneman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just got the Onkyo 7030 lightly used/delivered for 80$. Verdict... lives up to the hype. Digital is now tolerable again, thank the lort. Well worth the wait and modest investment.

9. DavidJB

DavidJB New Member

DAC? Is that digital analog converter? And is that what enables one to connect a CD player to an older amp/receiver?

10. ferninando

allows connection of cdp to ANY preamp or receiver aux in or amp in thru a input level control. or passive pre, which I have done with great success. sounds good.

DavidJB likes this.
  11. Tim64

Tim64 Well-Known Member

I will check that model out. I ended up getting a FIO D03 DAC and was pretty surprised how good it sounded. My old Toshiba DVD player with that DAC sounds pretty good on par with how my Onkyo used to sound.

12. eastbrown

eastbrown Active Member

Same here,, My Onkyo C-7030 just kick the bucket.. Wont spin up anymore so I hooked up my old Magnavox cdb492 and bingo doesn't skip a beat.. Go figure...

13. Rockyhill

Rockyhill WDEV Waterbury, VT "Tallest Tower in N.E." Subscriber

I have a used Marantz DV6500. SACD et al.

14. ferninando

just got a Yamaha CD S-300 and am extreemly pleased with it.
    VERY good SQ with good LF response. Especially like the USB port on front
    for to plug in my thumb drives from car. can play a gob of songs without changing discs.
    Has a full array of outputs in back for connection to other equipment.
    Aint this audio stuff fun?

Last edited: May 14, 2017