Best Buy pulling CDs

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by chicks, Feb 5, 2018.

1. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

I haven't been inside one in a long time. However, we were going out to eat the other night and passed by the parking lot of a BB and it was packed. Not sure what people are doing there, but it probably helps to see TVs rather than ordering them...though, I ordered my last 2 TVs.

I do remember a time when I would spend hours in there picking out CDs for my collection, but streaming eliminated that process.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bob in WI

Bob in WI AK Subscriber Subscriber

Agree that you need to see a TV before ordering. I also think you need to give the store where you saw it a shot at the sale.
    Don't need a Best Buy to do that tho.

All this being said, I hope they recover & are successful. Brick & mortar serves a purpose whether I chose to shop there or not.

3. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

This may sound odd as hell but I have never been inside a Best Buy or a Circuit City for that matter. Am I missing anything?

4. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

I just read reviews and knew which TV I wanted. Never saw it in a store...though, I understand why people would want to see it first.

5. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

For the most part no. Some Best Buys have Magnolia sections that sell Mcintosh products and I believe that would be worth wading past the cellphone and computer stuff to see.. Sadly out local BB doesn't have a Magnolia section so no it's not worth the trip to me either.

Alobar likes this.
  6. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

Nobody under 30 buys or plays CDs.

9 years when we took my daughter off to college, no one had CD players or even decent stereos except for her; it was all laptops, phones, headphones and gaming system speakers. And that was 9 years ago.
    She's since given me back her turntable and sold her records and streams via bluetooth to a vintage Technics receiver and the EPI 100s I restored for her.

It's a digital age out there for media these days.

KDAC, E.Auer and Condorsat like this.

7. mgosdin

mgosdin Well-Known Member

It's all good fun until someone cuts the wires.

A construction site and a backhoe, somebody wearing a mask and giggling to themselves, an isp flunky with orders from the boss or a government bureaucrat with national security on their mind.

No internet, no music, if you don't have physical media.

Mark Gosdin

8. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

That's a good point ... but IMHO ... the Rubicon has been crossed years ago. Quick story: back in the very early
    1990's ... was living on a Military base in Japan. Off work ... so went to rent a VHS at the local store. The clerks looked at
    me as I walked in and said "sorry, we can't rent VHS's today ... the computer is down" o_O Good grief ... epiphany ... I thought to myself ...
    are we becoming that reliant on automated technology.

[​IMG]

judsonw likes this.
  9. Condorsat

When the tech is no longer there ... reminds me of this scene from Lost.
    Survivors of a plane crash on a deserted island ... no place to buy batteries.

I've never looked at powering up my stereo ... the same way since.
    Kind of brings things in perspective.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. Ditto. ^^^^ ...my music purchasing habits since 2004.

11. This ^^^^ since 2001.

12. Yep. Eighteen-year-old high school senior and a 19-year-old college sophomore daughters listen to music in this exact fashion. Even though it's their generation's "thing," the sight of their phones with Spotify or a self-created playlist of .mp3s transmitted to a nearby bluetooth speaker still strike me as rather detached/sterile. I. at 44, admittedly do the same while during yardwork in the sping/summer/fall, but when I venture indoors music via my preamp/amp/floorstanding loudspeakers is a must. If the wireless tech is used as background distraction while engaged in a more immediate task, I get it. Using such a method as the primary way to listen to music - no way.

13. Andyman

Meh, same scenario if it's a power line.
    I guess we all need to get harmonicas or acoustic geetars... :D

14. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

Nah. My dad has an early 1900s Edison phonograph that is requires no electricity. Just crank it up, play a side, crank it up again, and so on.

15. eljr

eljr Koyaanisqatsi

I bought a little over a cd a day in 2017

Figured I'd stick to downloads this year.

First new release I wanted, not available as a download. :confused:

Condorsat and uofmtiger like this.
  16. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

Speak for yourself.
    If I have to learn to play harp, a green bullet and an old Fender is going to be involved.:smoke:

17. Condorsat

Wow! Can't even imagine buying that many. Vinyl is what I buy mostly ... my entire collection only consists of around 1500 (including some overstock or culls).

Thing is ... Iv'e got most of what I want to own on Vinyl ... Classic Rock wise anyway. I have a hard time coming up w/ want lists.

CDs? Not sure how many I own ... have not entered it into Discog's. I'm guessing maybe 500'ish (purchased in years past)... might be more. :idea: I've traded some in over the years and it's all stored in the basement boxes.

Sub Streaming (since 2012) is what I listen too mostly these days. Not trying to convince anybody ... just saying.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    E.Auer likes this.
  18. Andyman

Well, casting Bluetooth is one option, but you might be surprised at what you can stream via a laptop and a DAC. I have several friends who find Tidal HiFi at $19.99/month suits them well; I'm actually pretty happy myself with Spotify Premium @ $9.99/month and am liquidating much of my lesser played commons to finance the streaming.

If nothing else, it is EXTREMELY cost effective way to audition pieces and performance w/o buying; at the indicated prices, not buying a couple clunkers pays the bill.

E.Auer likes this.
  19. bigstereo

bigstereo Super Member

I agree with ^ Andy man.
    Plugged my Galaxy S7 into the old stereo system Sunday night and rocked Spotify for hours. Pretty galdarned convenient.